jilliann

Gluten Bread Weird Taste/smell

Rate this topic

Hello,

Just tried 1st gluten-free bread: UDIS WHITE.

What ingredient gives gluten free bread an off greeny/metalic/raw flour flavor. I've recently tried UDIS white bread, and could not stand the smell/taste. I'm wondering: is it the rice flour, tapioca starch/products, potato starch, or canola oil?

Mariposa bagels has a similar smell/taste, but not as strong (more palatable). So I'm wondering which grain could be causing this odor/flavor?

Thank you!

Welcome to the board. How long have you been gluten free? I ask because it can take a while before our taste 'memories' of bread fade. For some gluten free breads can have a strange taste at first. Some people find it helps to go a couple months without bread before trying the gluten free ones. Most of our breads are also better toasted or warmed.

Not everyone likes the same breads, for example, I can't stand ones with flax or bean flour and don't tolerate ones with soy. Others can't stand the plain white Udi's that I like the best. All we can do is try different ones until we find one we tolerate and like.

Funny you post this. Someone posted about Rudi's having an odd smell - and I hadn't noticed it.

Well, the last loaf I bought had a smell to it. I think the new one does, too.

Luckily, I found it dissipates and doesn't affect the taste.

It is a weird smell, though. And Rudi's is my favorite.

I haven't noticed it in any of the plain flours I've bought, so I cant pinpoint it.

I have allergies, haven't smelt in years, lol. But I did have to stop bread for quite a while before going back. Now I like Udi's white breads the best.

I can't stand any of them. I use a romaine lettuce leaf. No smell there. lol. :P

I'm not a fan of Udi's either. :blink: It had a weird texture to me. I suppose it's better than the other store bought ones, but I'm not a huge fan. I just make my own... but I really got over the bread thing. Go with the romaine, better for ya! ;)

Try the Udi's whole grain. It has a more normal taste to me. The suggestion to go off bread altogether is a good one. After a while, I forgot what "egular" bread tasted like. Donuts... not so much!