sleer

Kitchen Utensils

Rate this topic

We have a shared kitchen. It hasn't been a terrible issue yet. My husband is very cautious. I'm replacing our kitchen utensils (spatulas, etc) and wanted to know if there was a material that would be more resistent to cross contamination problems. I think I read that wood utensils were a no-go? How about silicon? Obviously they would be washed in the dishwasher between uses. Any thoughts?

I prefer stainless single piece construction. This way there is no place for "gunk" to hid in.

silicone, metal, and plastic are all okay, imho. Be careful with plastics that get easily scratched, however.

wooden utensils and all cutting boards and colanders, regardless of construction, should be dedicated gluten-free only.

I would also suggest silicone because of it's non-porous characteristic which doesn't retain odors or colors when you use it for stirring deep-colored food like tomato-based food products. They can be easily clean or wash as compared to others.

The only reason I started off staying away from sharing plastic and silicon utensils is because everyone in the house just loves to leave them all sitting in pans on the stove. Every spoon in the house is melty on the end which gives gluten all sorts of fun hiding places. I went with stainless steel pans and mostly metal utensils because even if someone else grabs mine they can't be ruined. If the only person you have to worry about is your husband and he's sensitive to your needs then I wouldn't be worried about plastic.