nkdodd

Unexplained Swelling And Pain

Rate this topic

I am at my wits end! My father is experiencing severe swelling of his hands as well as severe pain in his muscles and joints. He is at the point that he is hardly able to dress himself. He has been gluten free for about one year and at first his symptoms seemed to disappear. Prior to going off gluten he was experiencing digestive issues and an unexplained rash on arms and chest. Now, for about five months, he has been in severe pain all the time and the swelling in his hands has made it so that he is unable to function normally, yesterday the rash returned. He has been to medical doctors and has been tested for RA, Lew Gericks-spelling?-, etc. all blood tests have come back neg.

He is now going to an alternative doctor, but nothing is helping. The only relief he can get is by taking prescription strength ibprofen, which he does not want to take because of the possible damage to his liver. Help!!!! Has anyone ever seen these symptoms? Is this still gluten related or is it something else?

We just don't know where to turn. Thanks! Nikki

If he has Dermatotis Herpetiformis, a skin version if Celiac, NSAIDS can aggrivate it even in the absence of gluten.

I don't have any idea about the swelling.

He could have other food intolerances. Milk, soy, corn, etc. can cause symptoms that are as bad or worse than gluten.

I hope you find the root of the problem.

If he has Dermatotis Herpetiformis, a skin version if Celiac, NSAIDS can aggrivate it even in the absence of gluten.

I don't have any idea about the swelling.

He could have other food intolerances. Milk, soy, corn, etc. can cause symptoms that are as bad or worse than gluten.

I hope you find the root of the problem.

Thank you for your reply. What is NSAIDS? I am new to this. The docs thought that he might have other allergys so did we so they checked, nothing there but gluten allergy. Some have thought that the swelling is due to toxins trying to leave the body from possible leaky gut????

Is the swelling in his hands generalized or confined to fingers and joints? Can you describe his rash a little for us? Does it have blisters, scales, heads, or just red, irritated areas?

NSAIDS are Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs, such as Alleve, Ibuprofen, Voltaren, etc. Some people do not tolerate them well.

It is possible to test negative for rheumatoid arthritis and yet still have a rheumatoid condition. My psoriatic arthritis is RF (rheumatoid factor) negative.