lucky97

Coffee? You're Freaking Kidding Me...

Rate this topic

Am I to understand that coffee I buy myself (like Maxwell House or Folgers) for my coffee maker can be cross-contaminated? Really?

Am I to understand that coffee I buy myself (like Maxwell House or Folgers) for my coffee maker can be cross-contaminated? Really?

No. I don 't worry it. Slight possibility a flavored coffee might have barley but the few I have seen, don' t.

Coffee is not something I worry about either but I buy regular coffee (not flavored), which I brew myself.

I do not worry about coffee in the least.

richard

I called a couple of coffee manufacturers after I first went gluten free...I was grinding my own beans at the time. They told me that they could not assure me that the beans were not cross-contaminated. They said that the beans might be hauled in the same trucks where other grains were hauled or stored. I asked if they rinse their beans at all...they said NO!!! I believe that company was Millstone, but others also are the same. Also, flavored coffees might contain gluten as additives. I went to Kcups, with the machine. I can't tolerate caffeine anyway, but the Newman's organic decaf seems to do relatively okay with me.

I called a couple of coffee manufacturers after I first went gluten free...I was grinding my own beans at the time. They told me that they could not assure me that the beans were not cross-contaminated. They said that the beans might be hauled in the same trucks where other grains were hauled or stored. I asked if they rinse their beans at all...they said NO!!! I believe that company was Millstone, but others also are the same. Also, flavored coffees might contain gluten as additives. I went to Kcups, with the machine. I can't tolerate caffeine anyway, but the Newman's organic decaf seems to do relatively okay with me.

Sounds like a CYA statement. They don't test for gluten.

I worry about coffee because it sends me to the bathroom with gluten or without it :blink:

If someone old you that, then yes, they were kidding you. Coffee is not a concern. I might check flavored coffee for barley but those are few and far between. Regular coffee is safe.