Rate this topic

Hi All -

I needed some pizza sauce and the only brand the grocery store carried was Ragu ("Pizza Quick"). One of the ingredients is "modified food starch." I've never seen this before. Is this gluten free? I did a quick internet search in the store and it seemed like MFS is usually gluten free, and there are no allergens listed so I'm thinking it is. But I wanted some opinions from you more seasoned label readers!

I think in the USA it's usually a corn product unless it states wheat on it. It should say if it is wheat either right after it lists MFS or the very least wheat should be listed in the allergy info at the bottom.

If it was wheat (which is extremely rare), the word "wheat" would appear. MFS is commonly tapioca or corn.

Ragu is a Unilever brand. They will clearly disclose any gluten source.

If the modified food starch was made from wheat, it would still have to list wheat (usually in parenthesis after the mfs).

Ragu is a Unilever product. Unilever, ConAgra and Kraft (along with some others but those are the big three) will list wheat, rye, or barley on it's label and not hide it under a vague term such as "natural flavors". It's good to know which brands you can actually just read the label.

Your Ragu Pizza Quick sauce is good.

Dang!!! Am I a slow typer or what???!!! There weren't any responses when I first started my reply.

;)