gbrennan

Bad Dh Breakout After 5 Months Gluten Free

Rate this topic

After a year of going to see doctors, I diagnosed myself with DH. I have been gluten free (and carefully avoiding iodine) for 5 months. My skin was getting progressively better, but for the last two weeks, has gotten worse by the day. I am now covered in hives and blisters that aren't going away. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm pretty sure I have not ingested any gluten. Is this part of the process of my body getting rid of deposits deep in my skin?

I'd love to hear from anyone who had a 'relapse' of DH when they were following all the rules, and seemed to be getting better.

A couple of months ago my DH had almost disappeared. Then suddenly it relapsed.

Not really badly but enough to be very annoying. Although the same parts of my skin were affected the relapse was open sores and itchy, not inflamed and painful as during previous DH. It still hasn't gone away.

I don't think I encountered any gluten, though I was eating a lot of citrus at the time. Perhaps even a little binge eating of a large bag of delicious oranges I acquired.

I wish I could offer you an explanation. My experience is that the DH cure is not a straight line, cause and effect sort of thing.

Several of us also have had the experience of new DH areas developing after we were gluten free.

Your situation sounds a little different. At any time there is also the risk that we have encountered some hidden gluten in our diet.

Best I can do, sorry.

gbrennan, I have come to believe you are on the right track thinking it's the body getting rid of deposits. Also, there is the literature which says that dh can go in & out of "remission" so to speak & do it's own thing coming & going as it pleases which I believe is part of the getting rid of the deposits process. Then there's also the subject of salicylates (sal or sals) which others have reported as having an effect on their dh. I recently got into that myself & went low sal & it was working --- I was healing & getting much better. And THEN there's the whole factor of STRESS. An event happened today which stressed me to the max. & now I'm squirming again. 5 or 6 new blisters, & places that were almost healed are red, risen & itching. I have noticed this happening when I get stressed out.