bean

Opalescence Tooth Whitening Gel

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if this is gluten-free? I have used it a few times, and each time I've become very sick (think: bathroom!).

I can't find any information on the ingredients *anywhere*! If anyone could help me, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

- Michelle :wub:

I have been using Opalesence recently and also have had gut issues that seem to be worsening with no other obvious explanation since I am diligent about avoid gluten and cross contamination. 

I just called Ultradent, since Opalescence is one of there products who told me it is gluten free. I am also very sensitive to Carrageenan so asked if that was in the product. They were unable to tell me at this time but will get back to me. I googled around and found a site on how tooth whitening gels are made that stated carrageenan is used as a product thickener. 

"Various blends of powdered stabilizer (or aqueous solution in the case of Versenol 120) and powdered thickening agent were weighed in a plastic or glass beaker. Aqueous hydrogen peroxide was then added to the blends in the amount of 35% (w/w). The mixtures were gently stirred until the powdered ingredients fully dissolved. This completed the procedure in the blends wherein carboxymethylcellulose, xanthan gum, and carrageenan were used as the thickeners. In the blends containing polyacrylic acid as the thickener, triethanolamine was also added. All of the gels were then packaged in 10 mL polyethylene syringes (1). "

Reference:

1. see link: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6824704.html