Ninja

Thank You Everyone!

Rate this topic

I feel so much gratitude towards everyone on this forum. You have all been so incredibly supportive and helpful, I can't thank each of you enough.

I am finally feeling like I am on the road to recovery. I had been pet sitting and didn't realize their food had gluten in it until after the fact ( I saw a bag of orijin and figured that was what was in the bin). I later looked at the label on the bin and found that the variety was beef and barley! Getting cc'd or glutened by animals can actually happen! I'm still working to get past the consequences of that situation, but I had a really fantastic day yesterday, overall.

I feel so grateful to everyone here and I just want to say thank you. I now know that gluten causes me serious issues and I am not a head case - it's real. I can't say I would have come to that conclusion as quickly had it not been for all of you.

~Laura

Kiddo,

From our many PM conversations, I have to say that YOU are your own best advocate! You have fought long and hard to be HEARD and you researched and read everything you could. You ask questions and you offer help to others in need on here now, too. So, you are paying it forward ;)

You should be proud that you are a self-healer. You know what I call women like us who take charge and persevere, despite all odds and despite the nay-sayers? Warrior princesses. :)

Stay off gluten ---no matter what those test results reveal--and stay well! You KNOW your own body best.

Cheers, IH

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. That's wonderful news!

The best thanks of all is if you stay around the board, continue being our friend, and pass what you've learned forward. :) There's no shortage of other people who need convincing that they're not head cases!

I feel so much gratitude towards everyone on this forum. You have all been so incredibly supportive and helpful, I can't thank each of you enough.

I am finally feeling like I am on the road to recovery. I had been pet sitting and didn't realize their food had gluten in it until after the fact ( I saw a bag of orijin and figured that was what was in the bin). I later looked at the label on the bin and found that the variety was beef and barley! Getting cc'd or glutened by animals can actually happen! I'm still working to get past the consequences of that situation, but I had a really fantastic day yesterday, overall.

I feel so grateful to everyone here and I just want to say thank you. I now know that gluten causes me serious issues and I am not a head case - it's real. I can't say I would have come to that conclusion as quickly had it not been for all of you.

~Laura

I wouldn't have survived this long without this forum. There's no better place to get answers to questions, and learn the ins and outs of gluten intolerance.

The support here is wonderful!

There is SO much to learn about going gluten-free. The pet food doesn't occur to some people..but your experience shows that it's a real concern.

Thanks for sharing that..and keep on your path to wellness! :D

Yes, you have to read the labels :rolleyes:

When I was in the pet store last week looking for unflavored rawhide chews, I saw a brand of dog treat prominently labeled "all natural GLUTEN FREE" in big letters right on the front - since I have never seen a commercial dog treat that actually passed the scrutiny, I checked, and sure enough, the second ingredient was BARLEY. And these were meant to be carried around in your pockets as reward treats for training !

My big dog with allergies cracks me up sometimes (we got him as a senior dog from the pound) because he isn't a "beggar" type, but he reacts with extreme interest when we 1) cook rice or 2) make popcorn 3) cook fish 4) open a container of plain greek yogurt. All plain things he must have been fed somewhere in his previous life. When the vet first had me try a homemade allergy- diet to get him back on track, he looked absolutely "entranced" the whole time I was making it up in the kitchen, sitting there drooling as the rice cooked. :lol:

Not to "stray" too off topic (get it, stray? :lol: ) but

my cat, Bella was sick as a dog :) when she came to us--thin, terrible coat, full of ticks, cuts, etc. and we put her on a Grain free cat food RIGHT away and she gets treats of fresh fish, chicken or beef, bits of cheese, if she wants it. She tends to like "people food" too.

(she was so small, we thought she was a kitten, but the neighbor we rescued her from said she was 2!) :angry: argh!

anyhoo---she's 10 lbs. now, has a luxurious, shiny coat and is happy as can be! (I think maybe I should eat HER salmon dinner and have a full head of hair come back in!)

Thanks! :)

Yes - dog food is so tricky... But I really glutened myself: I gave them those treats that look like vanilla Oreos from Petco on Easter, because well, it was Easter! Not even 10 seconds later I got a 'kiss' directly on my mouth... I learned my lesson..

Takala: WOW! I'm so glad you looked at it more closely - I cant believe that. :/ Your dog sounds like quite a character. :) What would we do without animals!

Rice is a favorite in my family, too. IH, I'm glad your doggie is doing so much better. :)

IH, I'm glad your doggie is doing so much better. :)

I have a cat, sweetie. :)

My doggie, Gracie is romping in doggie heaven, causing trouble no doubt. :lol:

Oops! - your cat was as sick as a dog... Not your cat is a dog.

I'm glad your CAT is doing much better :)

Yes, you have to read the labels :rolleyes:

When I was in the pet store last week looking for unflavored rawhide chews, I saw a brand of dog treat prominently labeled "all natural GLUTEN FREE" in big letters right on the front - since I have never seen a commercial dog treat that actually passed the scrutiny, I checked, and sure enough, the second ingredient was BARLEY. And these were meant to be carried around in your pockets as reward treats for training !

My big dog with allergies cracks me up sometimes (we got him as a senior dog from the pound) because he isn't a "beggar" type, but he reacts with extreme interest when we 1) cook rice or 2) make popcorn 3) cook fish 4) open a container of plain greek yogurt. All plain things he must have been fed somewhere in his previous life. When the vet first had me try a homemade allergy- diet to get him back on track, he looked absolutely "entranced" the whole time I was making it up in the kitchen, sitting there drooling as the rice cooked. :lol:

I think I have your dog's brother :).

My FIL spoils him when he babysits, and he tries to retrain us to do the same (like he isn't spoiled rotten already) by herding us into the kitchen at a specific time every day (evidently when he's used to getting his hamburger).

He gets rice if he has an upset belly (from stealing food), and can smell pork a mile away. And let's not get started on pizza (when i was pg he ate the crust and I ate the center-and he doesn't understand why 10 years later, it should change).

And he babysits the grill :). He won't move til the meat is off!

And he babysits the grill :). He won't move til the meat is off!

:lol: :lol: :lol: This sounds soooo familiar! The grill and the cutting board (mine pulls out of the counter) are both VERY well taken care of. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: This sounds soooo familiar! The grill and the cutting board (mine pulls out of the counter) are both VERY well taken care of. ;)

Thankfully our counters are too high - but he tries.

He did manage to eat 1/3 of a chocolate birthday cake off the kitchen table once. Thankfully he's big because it probably would have killed a smaller dog. And then there were the chicken bones...

As he's gotten older his manners have gone downhill. He never would have done that when he was younger.

I often had company while cooking too. :)

But one time, when I was preparing an elaborate meal for visiting company, I "felt" as if I were being watched. :unsure:

I turned around to see my lab, our 3 cats and our friend's golden retriever ( who was visiting us) , all sitting there, lined up in row, STARING at me. :blink:

Just waiting... :lol:

Of course, our dog would never come 50% of the time if she were "busy" (read that as: sleeping) when she was called, but open the refrigerator door.....and people would be knocked down in the mad rush.

Oh man — we better not start with the "what did your dog eat stories"... buttttttt one of my dogs ate an entire loaf of fresh cheddar onion bread. We suffered the consequences later that night... They also go for the butter. :blink:

I turned around to see my lab' date=' our 3 cats and our friend's golden retriever ( who was visiting us) , all sitting there, lined up in row, STARING at me. :blink:[/quote']

:lol: Did their tails start thumping too, when you turned around?

Dryer sheets?! Actually, well, I can't act surprised because mine likes pumice stones, soap and shavers. :unsure:

I have a bunch of grass grazers over here so I know how that goes.... :lol:

Dryer sheets?! Actually, well, I can't act surprised because mine likes pumice stones, soap and shavers. :unsure:

I have a bunch of grass grazers over here so I know how that goes.... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoying everyone's pet tales. Hubby and I are grieving the loss of our last beloved lab. Not quite ready to get another... But soon.

A question just occurred to me. I bought a new cutting board and wooden spoons yesterday and didn't replace my colander. It's an old dented thing but we go way back and I hate to retire it. If my knives and spoons are safe, why not my pasta drainer?

Enjoying everyone's pet tales. Hubby and I are grieving the loss of our last beloved lab. Not quite ready to get another... But soon.

A question just occurred to me. I bought a new cutting board and wooden spoons yesterday and didn't replace my colander. It's an old dented thing but we go way back and I hate to retire it. If my knives and spoons are safe, why not my pasta drainer?

Unless you have a stainless steel one that you can scour with an abrasive, I doubt you'll get the sticky stuff out of the mesh.

I tried.

No cigar.

That stuff is like glue. gluten-free starches are like cement.

I bought some stainless ones that I can scour down and even those are tough.

pricklypear

Ahhhhh well, that makes sense. Yes it is an old stainless one, but maybe I'll get a new plastic one to keep it company!

Thx

My sweet kitty was fed ON the dining table from the breeder's husband's dinner plate :o:rolleyes: Sure took a while to break that habit. Now, when she is left alone, she lounges on the dining table while we are gone :lol:

She has learned not to eat people food, but has a timing mechanism better than any clock (even the atomic clock, I swear) and very unique, endearing ways of letting us know it is five o'clock (or four o'clock now we are off daylight saving.) It starts with a "hey" nudge on the leg, then becomes sitting in front of the computer screen (Maine Coon so she she can block the entire screen), and finally (when I peer around her) sitting on the mouse or lying on the hand that is resting on the mouse (all 17 lbs of her!!) if she finds I can still maneuver the mouse. And yes, if you look at the clock, it is always straight up 5/4 o'clock. If she is hungry before then she stretches out on the floor in front of her food dish with front paws wrapped around it, c'mon guys, can't you see I'm hungry? But in typical Maine Coon style, never a peep out of her. She is the master of non-verbal communication :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I get the "look". Then the tail thumping. And the "look" some more, until I FINALLLY get up. If I don't get up soon enough she decides something must be wrong and begins the rhythmic licking of the arm, leg, face...whichever is most convenient.

My little dog scratches the garbage can when she is hungry: "I know there's food in there...."

My little dog scratches the garbage can when she is hungry: "I know there's food in there...."

Heck, just go ahead and feed her the garbage :rolleyes: Dogs aren't that picky anyway (remembering - with horror - what my Airedale used to eat :blink: )

And she would eat every.last.crumb. Then get a stomachache and eat grass... and then, well, we've gone there already. :lol:

I've heard those airdales can be quite the clowns... :)

I've heard those airdales can be quite the clowns... :)

She was. A puppy until the day she died of old age. Oh, by the way, they can also be very stubborn.... Huh?? You talkin' to me????