This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Withdrawals

Tree03

Tree03 Rookie

Hi Everyone....

I'm new here and my first post - need your advice :)

I've been gluten-free for about 3 weeks now per Doctor's orders. (Blood work was neg for celiac but he said I probably have a gluten intolerance). I've been having horrible headaches, joint pain is back, fatigue and mood swings. I talked with a friend who is gluten-free and she said she had headaches too from the gluten withdrawals. She said to drink lots of water to get the toxins out of my system.

My tummy issues are finally starting to improve after years of feeling bad so I know the gluten-free diet is helping somewhat already. I did eat bread and pasta one night because I forgot my special food....lol. But about 3 hours later horrible stomach pain, multiple trips to the bathroom and headache next day. After going through that I'm determined to stay gluten-free for a while to see if it really does make a difference.

Anyone else go through this - any advice?? I know everyone's body is different but any general advice would be great to deal with the withdrawals.

Thanks,

Theresa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria6102 Contributor

Withdrawal is no fun!!!!sorry to say that there really isn't a way to make the withdrawal symptoms go away faster, you just have to keep eating 100% gluten free and try to eat natural, healthy foods to help you feel better overall. Make sure you aren't getting any cross contamination. Have you had an endoscopy? Your doctor should have suggested that before putting you On a gluten free diet, as now you would have to go back on gluten to have an accurate result from the endoscopy. Anyways, hope you feel better soon!

Jetamio Apprentice

The first few weeks were the worst for me. Then, things got a little better and then another wave of what I found to be detox symptoms popped up. I feel like my body is detoxing in stages and waves. Water has been huge for me as are my vitamins. I do a lot of yoga and when I do, I feel like it helps with the joint pain. If there is an exercise you enjoy, it may help the process. When I eat clean, I feel better. When I'm rushed and don't plan well....my body is unhappy. I accidently glutened myself two nights ago and my DH flared up and my sinuses are terrible again. It's such a learning process. Hang in there! This board is a great resource.

kwylee Apprentice

Yes, withdrawal is definitely an indicator that you are intolerant to gluten. The degree to which you feel those symptoms vary from individual. I personally had a really hard time the first couple weeks, but I lived through it and I'm a BIG weenie about such things so if I could do it, anyone can.

I didn't have a positive diagosis for celiac either but feel 100% better now being totally gluten free almost 2 years now. I was better after about a month. And I wouldn't look back on not being tested by endoscopy. It sounds like the doctor advising you was wise to suggest the gluten issue and now you have definitively proven that your body is intolerant to gluten given your withdrawal and in the ways you can feel the difference. To me, that's the acid test. Now it's IMPORTANT for you not to eat gluten anymore. It's just not worth it.

Let everyone know how you're doing!!! I couldn't have gotten through my early months without this forum!!! There are some major brainiacs here when it comes to gluten and the damage it can do to the intolerant system.

Tree03 Rookie

Thanks for your replies!

I have not had an endoscopy and just the few weeks on the diet and feeling a little better already is good enough for me! I'm fine knowing I have a gluten intolerance and staying on a gluten-free diet. Just the improvement in the tummy issues already is great....I'll have a day with great energy and then the next day no energy at all.

I know it will take a few months probably to really feel better and I keep telling myself that when I want my pasta....I'm Italian so that's prob been the hardest...lol.

Thanks again....looking forward to getting to know everyone on here :)

Pandoranitemare Apprentice

I know it will take a few months probably to really feel better and I keep telling myself that when I want my pasta....I'm Italian so that's prob been the hardest...lol.

Thanks again....looking forward to getting to know everyone on here :)

Pasta is one of those foods that has a pretty good range of gluten free alternatives which are quite readily available even in supermarkets (and not too horribly overpriced compared to some gluten free foods) . It looks like pasta, cooks like pasta, and personally I think even tastes pretty much like regular pasta, so there is no need to feel like you are missing out too much. :)

Archived