jessthirtytwo

Mike's Lite Hard Lemonade...

Rate this topic

I was wondering everyone's opinion on Mike's Hard Lemonade saying that their "lite" version is gluten free? They say it is filtered twice so that all of the malt is removed and they have been tested for under 5ppm. I have tried them and only after I drank about 3 or 4 (all in separate sittings) did they give me a stomach ache. It is hard to believe that there would be no gluten in a malt beverage... but for the sake of being a 21 year old college student I had to try : )

Personally I wouldn't drink it.

I "get" that they test gluten-free, but I don't feel comfortable with anything with barley listed. There are a couple of gluten-free beers made with barley, too. Before I was gluten-free, 2 Mike's were OK but 3 & my stomach hurt. I think that's just the acid & bubbles? Something about them that makes them hard on even a healthy stomach? Just my thoughts.

Cans of Hawaiian punch are cheap. Add a little gin. You can control the amount of alcohol that way. Can't believe that I, Mom of a 19 yr old college kid, am telling you that. :blink:

The R5 elisa test they probably used to get that <5 ppm is not accurate for gluten that's been broken down by yeast. I wouldn't risk it.

I "get" that they test gluten-free, but I don't feel comfortable with anything with barley listed. There are a couple of gluten-free beers made with barley, too. Before I was gluten-free, 2 Mike's were OK but 3 & my stomach hurt. I think that's just the acid & bubbles? Something about them that makes them hard on even a healthy stomach? Just my thoughts.

Cans of Hawaiian punch are cheap. Add a little gin. You can control the amount of alcohol that way. Can't believe that I, Mom of a 19 yr old college kid, am telling you that. :blink:

Or cans of sparkling gluten-free lemonade of any kind - add vodka. But please don't add Everclear.

Please.

Or cans of sparkling gluten-free lemonade of any kind - add vodka. But please don't add Everclear.

Please.

Oh! I forgot to warn my kid about Everclear! :ph34r:

Oh! I forgot to warn my kid about Everclear! :ph34r:

Ugh.

The memories.

Give him the Gatorade speech too.

You do realize he may ask you what you want to know on both subjects - and give you a few drink recipes by now, right?

haha thanks for the tips everyone! yeah, i guess ill steer clear of Mike's. ill just have to be more creative with my mixed drinks then : )

Ugh.

The memories.

Give him the Gatorade speech too.

You do realize he may ask you what you want to know on both subjects - and give you a few drink recipes by now, right?

When he was going back at winter break, I took him to get some supplies ( shampoo & snacks). He wanted a gallon of Hawaiin punch and red Solo cups! :(

When he was going back at winter break, I took him to get some supplies ( shampoo & snacks). He wanted a gallon of Hawaiin punch and red Solo cups! :(

I think a particular Fraternity's punch was Hawaiin Punch based. I get ill thinking about it. And the other part of that punch....you guessed it.....Everclear.