Michelle L

Bacteria Overgrowth?

Rate this topic

Long story short...I have been gluten free for a few months and trying to gain weight!!

But, no matter what I still cant gain healthy weight and actually am losing fat...(not really pounds so much). My holistic nutritionist had run tests and said I had a lot of bacteria and parasites in my system. She had given me things to take to get rid of them...but even after a few months, they are not completely gone and Idk why I cant gain weight! Could it be the parasites/bacteria that are keeping me from gaining weight? Thats really the only thing I can think of. How is it this hard to gain weight even after four months??!!

I am going to a GI doctor in about 2 weeks to get a doctors opinion. I had been doing some reading on SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth) and it seems maybe I could have this. Has anyone dealt with this? Do you think that is what could be preventing me from gaining weight? I had thought once I went on the diet and wasnt eating foods I was allergic to, I would be gaining weight quite quickly. Apparently, its not that easy!

Anyone with info would be awesome! Thanks!!

Long story short...I have been gluten free for a few months and trying to gain weight!!

But, no matter what I still cant gain healthy weight and actually am losing fat...(not really pounds so much). My holistic nutritionist had run tests and said I had a lot of bacteria and parasites in my system. She had given me things to take to get rid of them...but even after a few months, they are not completely gone and Idk why I cant gain weight! Could it be the parasites/bacteria that are keeping me from gaining weight? Thats really the only thing I can think of. How is it this hard to gain weight even after four months??!!

I am going to a GI doctor in about 2 weeks to get a doctors opinion. I had been doing some reading on SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth) and it seems maybe I could have this. Has anyone dealt with this? Do you think that is what could be preventing me from gaining weight? I had thought once I went on the diet and wasnt eating foods I was allergic to, I would be gaining weight quite quickly. Apparently, its not that easy!

Anyone with info would be awesome! Thanks!!

Whether you gain weight or not depends on the condition of your intestine. If you have villi damage from gluten you may not be able to absorb what you're eating.(I'm assuming you have Celiac?) Or you could have SIBO, yeast, or a parasite. There are tests and treatments for these things.

It sounds like it's time to see your Dr.?

For a frame of reference though, I've been gluten-free for 9 months now, and was put on steroids to help my villi heal. I'm just now beginning to gain a bit of weight(actually just 2lbs this week..yay!)

It can take quite a while to heal.

Bacterial overgrowth is not uncommon. I've heard of celiac doctors who automatically put celiac patients on probiotics.

richard

I've had recurring SIBO for about 7 or 8 years now... symptoms and the type of bacteria can differ from person to person, but generally antibiotics are probably the fastet way to get rid of it. Unfortunately the overgrowth can recur in some people, depending on what the cause is (and the causes are many and varied). Personally, I've had the best success with rifaximin antibiotic, followed by a high-quality probiotic. I'm also taking Iberogast daily, which will hopefully improve peristalsis and prevent the bacteria from "backflowing" into my small intestine and overgowing again. (Just started the Iberogast, so I don't know if it's working or not yet).

In terms of diet low-carb (and esp. low sugar) is best... you might also want to eliminate legumes for a while because they can cause residue on the intestine that the bacteria feed on. Low-residue, highly-absorbale diet is best since you will be getting the food and not the little buggers.

I've had recurring SIBO for about 7 or 8 years now... symptoms and the type of bacteria can differ from person to person, but generally antibiotics are probably the fastet way to get rid of it. Unfortunately the overgrowth can recur in some people, depending on what the cause is (and the causes are many and varied). Personally, I've had the best success with rifaximin antibiotic, followed by a high-quality probiotic. I'm also taking Iberogast daily, which will hopefully improve peristalsis and prevent the bacteria from "backflowing" into my small intestine and overgowing again. (Just started the Iberogast, so I don't know if it's working or not yet).

In terms of diet low-carb (and esp. low sugar) is best... you might also want to eliminate legumes for a while because they can cause residue on the intestine that the bacteria feed on. Low-residue, highly-absorbale diet is best since you will be getting the food and not the little buggers.

how did they test your for SIBO ? Was is via stool sample or can they actually look at your intestines?

how did they test your for SIBO ? Was is via stool sample or can they actually look at your intestines?

Thay can do a hydrogen breath test for SIBO. I'm scheduled to have that done. You go in after a 12 hour fast and they have you breathe into a tube that has a device which measures the gases in your breath. Then they have you drink a solution and remeasure at certain time intervals. The gases that they read as you digest the solution tell them if you have SIBO or not.

From my understanding thay can also test via stool..but it won't tell them if the bacteria is in your upper intestine..where it shouldn't be, rather than in your colon. Someone else might know more abbout this?

I had the hydrogen breath test that Bubba's Mom described. They normally use lactulose for SIBO specifically because it's a non-absorbable sugar. I've had this test done 3 or 4 times over the past few years and it's been positive every time. I was tested once for fructose malabsorption (uses fructose instead of lactulose) and that was negative, so I know I had(ve) SIBO (also the antibiotics helped my symptoms almost every time as another indicator).