mamaupupup

Celiac And Bone Density And Osteoperosis In Kids

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I learned some new things today from a follow up with our rockstar Ped GI:

Measuring bone density in Celiac kids:

- She tests all Celiac kids between ages 8 - 10 for bone density

- She uses a CT scan and scans multiple areas including legs and spine

- She compares the results to a database of children of the same age and ethnicity

Preventing bone loss/encouraging ample development between now (our kids are 5.5) and then:

- Have the kids involved in impact sports (running, soccer, karate, dancing, etc.). Note that swimming and biking are non-impact sports

- Have kids take a multivitamin with iron daily (she recommended Flintstones Complete tablet form) and says it's gluten-free also (I need to check the packaging).

I feel so much better knowing I can help my kiddos be healthier, despite some bad genes I've given them ;)

Hi All,

I learned some new things today from a follow up with our rockstar Ped GI:

Measuring bone density in Celiac kids:

- She tests all Celiac kids between ages 8 - 10 for bone density

- She uses a CT scan and scans multiple areas including legs and spine

- She compares the results to a database of children of the same age and ethnicity

Preventing bone loss/encouraging ample development between now (our kids are 5.5) and then:

- Have the kids involved in impact sports (running, soccer, karate, dancing, etc.). Note that swimming and biking are non-impact sports

- Have kids take a multivitamin with iron daily (she recommended Flintstones Complete tablet form) and says it's gluten-free also (I need to check the packaging).

I feel so much better knowing I can help my kiddos be healthier, despite some bad genes I've given them ;)

You really don't have to worry about kids regaining bone density once diagnosed.

It just happens because they are young. It's when you get older that it's more of a struggle. Unless kids are complete couch potatoes, normal play and a good diet will correct any problems. You are fortunate that they have been diagnosed!

:) Agreed--happy they are diagnosed and have the kids focus on being kids! It just feels good to "do" something!

I also am thankful the GI seems thorough!