This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dang Sneaky Gluten

JustNana

JustNana Apprentice

Two places come to mind for me. Keep in mind I'm a newbie and just a tad naive. I was shocked, yes shocked to find that my Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc supplement had wheat in it. Yeah I know. My Dr was surprised! Duh.

The second was in a bag of cashews my cousin was munching on and offered. A quick glance at ingredients said "cashews and salt.". Two hours later I was scratching with new DH flares. I hadn't had anything else since my breakfast of egg on a slice of Udis and yogurt. I dug the bag out of the trash and down at the bottom in small print was the disclaimer about shared equipment with peanuts and wheat! 

Sheesh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Two places come to mind for me. Keep in mind I'm a newbie and just a tad naive. I was shocked, yes shocked to find that my Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc supplement had wheat in it. Yeah I know. My Dr was surprised! Duh.

The second was in a bag of cashews my cousin was munching on and offered. A quick glance at ingredients said "cashews and salt.". Two hours later I was scratching with new DH flares. I hadn't had anything else since my breakfast of egg on a slice of Udis and yogurt. I dug the bag out of the trash and down at the bottom in small print was the disclaimer about shared equipment with peanuts and wheat! 

Sheesh

Read on the DH threads. Many find that iodine triggers thier DH. I don't know which foods naturally have iodine but some salts have iodine added.

mamaw Community Regular

I I eat many kinds of nuts but cashews just make me sick, upset stomach, headache, itchy skin.. I just assumed I have an allergy to cashews.. The ones I ate were organic & no shared equipment.. So maybe it is just cashews in general....I also have to limit my pistachio's for the same reason...

Skylark Collaborator

Chopped nut sundae topping. Why do chopped peanuts need wheat starch, seriously? :blink: They're not THAT oily. Fortunately I read the label before I put them on my sundae.

JustNana Apprentice

Wow thx for the info.

I have spent a lot of time today on the DH thread. Very good advice and things I didnt know. The iodine thing is intriguing to me because as I was filling a salt shaker last week I noticed I accidentally got "non-iodized" so we've been using that for maybe 3 weeks. Just in the last 24-36 hours I have had a striking improvement (knock on wood) in my itching. Maybe just being hyper vigilant gluten-free for a few weeks is working. I have my fingers crossed.

I can live without cashews too. :-). I have been looking at salicylate info and don't think I have issues there. I am a red wine drinker and have never been able to blame any symptoms on it. I'm going to cheek amines next.

Ninja Contributor

This may just be my ignorance: split peas. :blink:

I know of someone else who found that there was wheat in her sweet tea..

Skylark Collaborator

I I eat many kinds of nuts but cashews just make me sick, upset stomach, headache, itchy skin.. I just assumed I have an allergy to cashews.. The ones I ate were organic & no shared equipment.. So maybe it is just cashews in general....I also have to limit my pistachio's for the same reason...

That's funny. Cashews are the easiest for me to handle because they are low in tyramine. Isn't it interesting how different we all are?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

That's funny. Cashews are the easiest for me to handle because they are low in tyramine. Isn't it interesting how different we all are?

Cashews and pistachios make my mother itch. I don't like cashews but they don't make me react, and neither do pistachios. And my mother (we're 95% sure) doesn't have any kind of gluten intolerance, I get it all from my daddy (thanks Daddy!) It is funny how different we all are.

mamaw Community Regular

No two alike! God made us all unique for sure! Some more than others!!!!!!!

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I'm still bitter about Twizzlers.

Adalaide Mentor

Oh my gosh... Twizzlers. That was truly my first "what the hell?!?!?!" moment.

lesliev523 Rookie

WHAT??? REALLY?? I am just starting to go gluten free and I assumed most candy would be fine. Damn... Now I will have to go look up my favorites!

I read somewhere that blue cheese has gluten.... but then saw reports online that it was safe. Anyone have issues with blue cheese?

lovegrov Collaborator

WHAT??? REALLY?? I am just starting to go gluten free and I assumed most candy would be fine. Damn... Now I will have to go look up my favorites!

I read somewhere that blue cheese has gluten.... but then saw reports online that it was safe. Anyone have issues with blue cheese?

Blue cheese has pretty much universally been declared safe. I've never had a problem with it. Even the very few blue cheeses that still have a bread starter for the culture do not have a measurable amount of gluten.

richard

Skylark Collaborator

I'm still bitter about licorice allsorts. I can get decent gluten-free licorice but not allsorts.

mamaw Community Regular

Skylark

I agree no gluten-free licorice is like the real deal...have you tried the ACE gluten-free brand? still not wonderful but again gluten-free!!!!!

Mom-of-Two Contributor

I just miss a crunchy Kit Kat every once in a great while! :(

mamaw Community Regular

Me too. Several years ago Glutino (I think) used to make a bar called Big Break & it was just like a kitkat... There is a recipe floating around for a homemade version. Glutino now has a hazelnut bar that isn't to bad ...butI loved the BigBreak Bar...

Skylark Collaborator

Skylark

I agree no gluten-free licorice is like the real deal...have you tried the ACE gluten-free brand? still not wonderful but again gluten-free!!!!!

There IS real liquorice, just not allsorts. Orgran gluten-free molasses licorice that is as good as Panda. Soft, chewy, full flavor. Gluten-free Mall carries it, though if you shop around there are cheaper places. I also liked the Chateau D'Lanz swiss licorice. It has a great, full flavor but it's not as soft and chewy as Orgran. The Gimbal's gluten-free scotties are OK, but not wonderful.

I haven't tried the Ace brand. Candy Tree also makes gluten-free licorice sticks and twizzler-like candies that I haven't tried yet.

mamaw Community Regular

candy tree is horrible!!! Scottie dogs are just Oh Hum for me.... Organ is okay. ANd I never heard of the swiss one you mentioned. Where do you get it???

I made the kids gluten-free lamb cupcakes for Easter & used the candy tree for the ears & tails...it is so hard.kids threw it out ....

Skylark Collaborator

Glad I haven't missed anything with the Candy Tree.

I got an 8-pack of the Chateau D'Lanz licorice at A m a z o n. If the kids are looking for a twizzler texture they won't like this one at all. It's a candy drop that is only slightly chewy. It's better to suck on.

Edit: Hey, check this out!

Open Original Shared Link Still no gluten-free allsorts but there's a bunch of stuff to try!

mamaw Community Regular

wow. that's some site! one could go on a gluten-free sugar high!

What I'm now really searching for is a gluten-free candy that is the same size as a malted milk ball....I have a recipe for candy turky's that uses an oreo(gluten-free) candy corn & a malted milk ball.. for the head... I can make truffles but I'll keep searching wont need them til next turkey day in Nov....I could coat gumballs.. ifI had too.... someone said the Lindt Balls the white choc are gluten-free but I haven't checked yet....

Adalaide Mentor

Basically, while some of their stuff doesn't contain any gluten ingredients, it's all one big happy family at Lindt with shared equipment so they make no promises. If you're into the shared equipment sort of thing you could try it, but I thought they are a fair deal larger than malted milk balls. (Not totally sure, malted milk balls are nasty! Haven't touched them since I was like 5.)

Open Original Shared Link

Darn it all... now I want truffles!

Sunny600 Rookie

I've just recently gone gluten-free, but candy really surprised me too. Here's a website with a fairly recent listing: Open Original Shared Link

Skylark Collaborator

wow. that's some site! one could go on a gluten-free sugar high!

I splurged. $30 worth of gluten-free licorice including the licorice-flavored coffee that I just had to try out of curiosity is on the way. :lol: Licorice is supposed to support the adrenals. Yeah. That's my excuse. ;)

Ninja Contributor

I splurged. $30 worth of gluten-free licorice including the licorice-flavored coffee that I just had to try out of curiosity is on the way. :lol: Licorice is supposed to support the adrenals. Yeah. That's my excuse. ;)

Hmm... that sounds both convincing and delicious......

:lol:

Archived