• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

carolynmay

Goose Fat And Duck Fat?

Rate this topic

Dear all,

I know this is probably ridiculous, but someone asked me the other day how I can be sure that duck fat and goose fat are safe given that the animals spend their lives surrounded by grain and are indeed probably covered in grain dust for most of the time, and presumably processing may not be awfully careful in terms of removing grain dust. I guess the same would apply to the skin of any poultry in fact.

I just wondered if anyone has ever suspected they have reacted to duck fat / goose fat (jarred) or whether we can regard it as entirely safe?

Thanks so much for any thoughts - and sorry if this sounds rather ridiculous!

Best wishes, Carolyn

Birds have feathers for reasons. To protect their skin from things, for one.

I really don't think there is anything in the USA that is 100% safe from any and all forms of grain dust/pollen, etc. But once a animal is killed and the outside is cleaned and all is removed from the inside, it's not like you're going to find partial wheat grains hiding in the meat. Animals don't work that way. They eat it, they digest what they can from it to make their bodies work, and they expel the rest. And as for veggies, once they are cleaned, you're not likely to find stray wheat grains among your tomatoes, etc.

Now, a jarred product may be suspect due to production rather than source materials. I cook ducks several times a year (and save that duck fat like the culinary gold that it is!) but my ducks are cooked in non-contaminated cookware and the fat is saved in non-contaminated jars. Never had a problem. But I am slowly becoming highly suspect of pretty much any pre-packaged, mass-produced product (especially from companies/plants that also process wheat in any form).

Hi I found this post because I had a reaction to goose fat and thought I was imagining things. I am usually quite good at narrowing things down and have definitely found that jarred goose fat gives a reaction. Just wanted to share.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • May 01, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com