This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitiligo

Alison

Alison Rookie

I am curious how many people out there have Vitiligo? I have read that there is a connection between celiac disease and Vitiligo. Here is a definition for those that do not know what it is: Vitiligo is a skin condition resulting from loss of pigment which produces white patches. Any part of the body may be affected. Usually both sides of the body are affected. Common areas of involvement are the face, lips, hands, arms, legs, and genital areas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kvogt Rookie

I have it. I got a patch of it on my right shin about 20 years ago. Also, anytime I scar from a cut or burn, it turns white. Vitligo is an autoimmune disease and I've read that once you get one autoimmune disease, you as susseptable to others. I also have oral lichen planus.

JsBaby-G Newbie

I have patches on my back and legs but they are not white. They are like a shade darker than my skin color. I've been to the dermatologist and he has no idea what it is. Does it itch you or anything?? Can you send me a site link so I can see a picture of it??

Thanks

:lol:

seeking-wholeness Explorer

I have very freckled forearms (but no freckles at all on my face), and interspersed among the light tan freckles are some little spots that look like white freckles--completely pigmentless. I wonder if that counts as a degree of vitiligo. I also have at least one iregularly-shaped patch slightly smaller than a nickel that is a shade or two darker than my normal (extremely pale) skin tone. It has never itched or anything. I don't own a copy of Kids with Celiac Disease, but I am pretty sure I read something in there that made me think, "AHA! That must be why I have that dark patch on my arm!" It would have been near the end of the book, in the section on vitamin and nutrient deficiencies. Maybe someone who has the book can look it up. In the meantime, I'll do a websearch and see what I come up with. I hope you're all doing well!

Alison Rookie

Here is a link to a site that has some good pictures showing vitiligo.

Open Original Shared Link

JsBaby-G Newbie

Thanks Alison for the site. See my patches have a border like that but are on my back and are darker! It's wierd.

Seeking wholeness

That makes so much sense about the vitamin deficiencies, I have plenty that could be a reason!! I want to go buy that book now!!! I just wish I knew what it was!!

:angry:

• 2 weeks later...
ldubois Newbie

Hello,

I am new to the group and have been diagnosed by my naturopath with allergies (intolerance) to gluten, casein and several food additives. I also have had vitiligo(undiagnosed, but pretty obvious) on my legs for several years. Fortunately it only appears as small spots....like white freckles.

The larger problem I have developed is lichen sclerosis. That is a condition related to vitiligo that is genital and has some serious potential consequences. There is a yahoo board that discusses this condition, and several of the members are finding that they are gluten intolerant and noticing a link between the two conditions.

I am starting testing for gluten with an allergist. Mostly doing this for the sake of my family who don't believe that the naturopath knows what she is doing. I am convinced that the problem is real because of the related circumstances and my inabilty to digest gluten and dairy products. Also have rashes on my skin and sleepless nights when I eat "wrong".

My 15 year old son has asked my to find gluten-free foods for him too because he is embarrassed at school with flatulence.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Highflyer Newbie

Hiya!!! I can relate to this. I have had vitilago for years also have unformally diagnosed celiac disease for about 6 years, etc... my hands are completely white, my face is lacking about half the pigment and most of my body has patches some rather large... :rolleyes: I used to have periods of time where I would actually get dark freckles of pigment returning..usually in the summertime...always wondered if the increase in vit D from the sun had something to do with it...Pantothenic Acid is supposed to help too...never really seriously gave that a try tho.

• 1 month later...
Guest LisaB
my hands are completely white, my face is lacking about half the pigment and most of my body has patches some rather large...  I used to have periods of time where I would actually get dark freckles of pigment returning..usually in the summertime...always wondered if the increase in vit D from the sun had something to do with it...Pantothenic Acid is supposed to help too...never really seriously gave that a try tho

I was just poking around the forum because I wanted to report about my experience with B5 (pantothenic acid) on the acne thread and saw your comment about skin color above. And yes that has been the big suprise in using it for my acne, I was ash white before and now I have great color in my skin for the first time since I was a kid, amazing color and my acne is clear....I can't believe it, it is so great. I take pretty high doses of it for my acne (about 5000 mg a day) because I found a research study recommending the higher doses to get acne under control.

Thought you might like to know. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest marshlakemom

Hi

I am new here and and was trying to post a question about Vitilego. Yes I do have vitiligo, and it is a pain. My hands are white, and most of my arms, with patches of tanned areas. My face is completely white now, with some dark patches on my neck. This is mostly noticeable during the summer months when your skin starts to tan.

Oh well, aren't we lucky...LOL

Deb

• 2 months later...
minigimp Newbie

Hi

I've been looking for someone in the same situation. I thought I'd reply even though this is a very old post.

I have a fierce intolerance to gluten which does not show positive in the current Coeliac test. This is because it is a variant involving autoantibodies to extracellular matrix protein one. This mutation is linked to many other autoimmune diseases.

I developed lichen sclerosis in all membrains after a biopsy. I get strictures in my eye membrains. I believe the development was partly related to stress and nutritional deficiencies as well possible infections weakening the immune system.

Your naturopath is switched on. Latest research renders current blood test for Coeliacs inadequate. Claims that it is 95% percent effective are false. The wheat industry, govt and med system have good incentive to keep this hush hush. It is possibly risky for those with symptoms of coeliacs disease to get the biopsy done considering possibility of other disease developing such as lichen sclerosis. I'm not using steroids. Instead, I'm taking a large dose of vitamins listed on LS-BXO.org

It might be worth your while joining. Some of the members have a hard time believing that such a damaging skin disease could be related to food protein reactions. You will need to have the latest gene testing (or possibly Elisa test) to prove intolerance to casein and/or gliadin because it is technically not an allergy

and wont turn up in hair tests as useful as they can be for other things. I had other rashes on my skin which disapeared when I cut dairy out altogether.

Cheers

Hello,

I am new to the group and have been diagnosed by my naturopath with allergies (intolerance) to gluten, casein and several food additives.  I also have had vitiligo(undiagnosed, but pretty obvious) on my legs for several years.  Fortunately it only appears as small spots....like white freckles.

The larger problem I have developed is lichen sclerosis.  That is a condition related to vitiligo that is genital and has some serious potential consequences.  There is a yahoo board that discusses this condition, and several of the members are finding that they are gluten intolerant and noticing a link between the two conditions.

I am starting testing for gluten with an allergist.  Mostly doing this for the sake of my family who don't believe that the naturopath knows what she is doing.  I am convinced that the problem is real because of the related circumstances and my inabilty to digest gluten and dairy products.  Also have rashes on my skin and sleepless nights when I eat "wrong".

My 15 year old son has asked my to find gluten-free foods for him too because he is embarrassed at school with flatulence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 month later...
kelliac Rookie
Hi

Latest research renders current blood test for Coeliacs inadequate. Claims that it is 95% percent effective are false. The wheat industry, govt and med system have good incentive to keep this hush hush.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bingo!

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Very interesting thread.

My husband had celiac disease dx by biopsy(neg bloods)

My son has Vitiligo and Down's Syndrome.

At around the time the white patches appeared so did the bowel probs(frequent trips to loo,very loose pale stools)

He has had the blood test for celiac disease but it was negative (borderline).

We are now waiting for an appointment with a paediatric gastro.

I think he should have biopsy as symptoms continue & vitilgo is spreading.

Something weird's happening with his immune system! :unsure:

Just out of interest what is 'Lichen Sclerosis?'-how does it affect you??

• 1 month later...
minigimp Newbie

Eehhhh. I hope he didnt get the biopsy. That can trigger other problems. There are more sophisticated indicators. Enterolab can tell with poo samples but that might be expensive. My new doc has ordered dq 2 and 8 gene tests. My d3 was low even though I'm on supplements so I might get a prescription for the converted hormone (calcitriol).

All these gene things are very confusing!

Lichen sclerosis is known for destroying genital skin but it can spread to any part of the body . It happens mostly to people with a genetic predisposition. It is likely the disease process started in my intestines but no scientific studies have investigated the process although it is linked to IGA reactions to gliadin and other proteins. My doc thinks that either I dont make enzymes to digest protein or that I've had coeliacs since I was a kid because I didnt grow properly and started walking late. Until recently the disease was not considered an immune disorder and was thought to be caused by spirochette infection because of a study mistaking mast cell granules for the bacteria. It is interesting though, that viruses and infection such as e-coli can cause major problems in people with immune disorders and even trigger them off. Poisoning and diet can obviously play a role in there somewhere also. I stay well away from dairy as well as the gluten which can cause nasty varying reactions. Milk affects my skin without fail, even in small amounts.

Good Luck

Very interesting thread.

My husband had celiac disease dx by biopsy(neg bloods)

My son has Vitiligo and Down's Syndrome.

At around the time the white patches appeared so did the bowel probs(frequent trips to loo,very loose pale stools)

He has had the blood test for celiac disease but it was negative (borderline).

We are now waiting for an appointment with a paediatric gastro.

I think he should have biopsy as symptoms continue & vitilgo is spreading.

Something weird's happening with his immune system! :unsure:

Just out of interest what is 'Lichen Sclerosis?'-how does it affect you??

;)B)B)
lonewolf Collaborator

Oh yikes! My 12 year old daughter has a patch of vitiligo on her forehead and signs that it might be starting by her eyebrow. She has not even been tested yet for celiac disease, but now I'm even more concerned. The doc said it was autoimmune and we would have no way of finding out what caused it, but I think a gluten-free diet might be something to try.

Liz

• 1 year later...
aptkp Newbie

have a look at Open Original Shared Link

They have treatment for white skin patches, vitiligo among many other things like stretch marks, dark circles etc and they have a very good ebay feedback. Worth a look.

Archived