This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Crazy Things We've Heard About Gluten? Also A Tiny Q

PadmeMaster

PadmeMaster Apprentice

First the Q: is it possible to have a reaction from stepping on glutened foods if you don't have skin reactions? My dear sister "accidentally" dropped the oatmeal this morning. I'm on my way to a shower but worried.

Anyway so I'm reading through posts since my last visit, thinking I should visit more, when I run across the coffee thread. Someone mentioned the crazy things people thought had gluten.

I EXPLAINED what gluten was to my (ex)boss. On the second to last day of work she bought some foods. Her soon-to-be-daughter-in-law works for a gluten free bakery down south, and is probably gluten intolerant (all hearsay from the boss of course). So she's asking if I can have the cheese she bought (she put it on the same plate as crackers. I was polite but didn't touch :) ). Then she points to the cookies and goes "these are peanut butter but because they are touching the chocolate chip ones you can't have them, right?". I am very shy and couldn't brin myself to say "well yes but they also have wheat in them" or somethin.

My dad is still surprised at what I can eat, but he listens really well. When he makes grilled cheese he makes mine first so it isn't contaminated. He knows the stuff labeled "gluten-free" in my section of the pantry/standup freezer is safe for me. Etc. Then at the store he goes "can you eat beans? Corn? Rice?" lol (worse: he knows what my foods are made of and STILL asked about rice.).

So everyone share!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

First the Q: is it possible to have a reaction from stepping on glutened foods if you don't have skin reactions? My dear sister "accidentally" dropped the oatmeal this morning. I'm on my way to a shower but worried.

Anyway so I'm reading through posts since my last visit, thinking I should visit more, when I run across the coffee thread. Someone mentioned the crazy things people thought had gluten.

I EXPLAINED what gluten was to my (ex)boss. On the second to last day of work she bought some foods. Her soon-to-be-daughter-in-law works for a gluten free bakery down south, and is probably gluten intolerant (all hearsay from the boss of course). So she's asking if I can have the cheese she bought (she put it on the same plate as crackers. I was polite but didn't touch :) ). Then she points to the cookies and goes "these are peanut butter but because they are touching the chocolate chip ones you can't have them, right?". I am very shy and couldn't brin myself to say "well yes but they also have wheat in them" or somethin.

My dad is still surprised at what I can eat, but he listens really well. When he makes grilled cheese he makes mine first so it isn't contaminated. He knows the stuff labeled "gluten-free" in my section of the pantry/standup freezer is safe for me. Etc. Then at the store he goes "can you eat beans? Corn? Rice?" lol (worse: he knows what my foods are made of and STILL asked about rice.).

So everyone share!

Most people will tell you that skin contact is not going to give you a gluten reaction. However, if you're very sensitive, something like that has the potential to cause some trouble.

I'm in the very sensitive category. A few weeks ago I was feeling pretty good and decided to clean out some kitchen cabinets. When I got to the one where I used to store wheat flour I could see a fine dust in there. I cleaned it up. Several hours later I got a gluten reaction. I don't know if it was from inhaling the dust? I know I didn't eat any, and washed my hands well after the cleaning. :unsure:

IrishHeart Veteran

The oatmeal on the foot will not cause you any harm.

But if you are going to eat it,(but not the stuff off the bottom of your foot :lol: ) make sure it is a certified gluten-free brand.

Gluten is not absorbed through the skin anyway.

Question

Celiac disease: Can gluten be absorbed through the skin?

I have celiac disease. Do I need to be concerned about sunscreens, shampoos and cosmetics that contain gluten?

Answer

from Michael F. Picco, M.D. of the Mayo Clinic

No. Gluten-containing skin care products and cosmetics aren't a problem unless you accidentally swallow them. For this reason, avoid using such products on your lips or around your mouth. Also, avoid using gluten-containing dental products, such as certain mouthwashes and toothpastes. If you're uncertain about whether a product contains gluten, check the ingredient list on the product label or contact the manufacturer.

Some people develop a form of celiac disease called dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), which causes an itchy, blistering rash. This skin disorder is also linked to gluten intolerance. But although it involves the skin, DH is caused by ingesting gluten, not by skin contact with gluten. So, eliminating gluten from your diet will help clear up DH as well.

If you use a cosmetic or skin care product that contains gluten and you develop a skin reaction, see your doctor or dermatologist to identify the cause. It is possible to have an allergy to wheat or another grain that could cause a skin reaction.

IrishHeart Veteran

Several hours later I got a gluten reaction. I don't know if it was from inhaling the dust?

That is possible, IMHO.

But absorbing it through the feet? I just cannot see how.

Anyone else have ideas??

kareng Grand Master

I wouldn't worry about walking in a bit of oatmeal. We don't eat regular oatmeal because it may have a small amount of wheat in it from harvesting and transport. The amount of wheat that could possibly be in oatmeal on the floor is very small and should wash right off your feet.

Unless you wash your feet like a cat? :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

No worries about the oatmeal unless some of it was floating around in the air or if you had a large fresh cut on your foot that it got in. Gluten can not penetrate the skin but is absorbed by mucous membranes. There are some folks that have an actual allergy to wheat or other gluten grains but for celiacs skin contact isn't an issue unless it is something like a hand lotion or such that leaves a residue that can be transferred to mouth, nose or eyes.

eeyorelvr Newbie

The oatmeal on the foot will not cause you any harm.

Gluten is not absorbed through the skin anyway.

Question

Celiac disease: Can gluten be absorbed through the skin?

I have celiac disease. Do I need to be concerned about sunscreens, shampoos and cosmetics that contain gluten?

Answer

from Michael F. Picco, M.D. of the Mayo Clinic

No. Gluten-containing skin care products and cosmetics aren't a problem unless you accidentally swallow them. For this reason, avoid using such products on your lips or around your mouth. Also, avoid using gluten-containing dental products, such as certain mouthwashes and toothpastes. If you're uncertain about whether a product contains gluten, check the ingredient list on the product label or contact the manufacturer.

Some people develop a form of celiac disease called dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), which causes an itchy, blistering rash. This skin disorder is also linked to gluten intolerance. But although it involves the skin, DH is caused by ingesting gluten, not by skin contact with gluten. So, eliminating gluten from your diet will help clear up DH as well.

If you use a cosmetic or skin care product that contains gluten and you develop a skin reaction, see your doctor or dermatologist to identify the cause. It is possible to have an allergy to wheat or another grain that could cause a skin reaction.

Interesting quote, as I have a DH reaction to not only when I ingest gluten but when I use ANY product that contains gluten. I had to change soap, shampoo, condition, hair color, makeup, and lotion, just to name a few. I can tell you without hesitation that after being gluten free for 6 months I used John Freedea straightning spray in my hair and had a reaction, Teressme's last ingredient is Wheat protein, but my whole body broke out when I used the shampoo and conditioner, my eyes have broken out from eye shadow. So no one can tell me that gluten applied to skin doesn't cause a reaction to your skin.

I also believed you absorb everything you put on your skin, maybe not enough to cause digestive issues, but it is still absorbed, if it isn't, then why are we advised not to take liquid benedryl AND use it on your skin at the same time because of potential overdoes? How can a soap or makeup claim to clear my redness or acne if it isn't absorbed? Dr. Picco doesn't sound like a dr I would like to visit, another quake that hids behind the name "Mayo Clinic".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

eeyorelvr, you need to do a little research into how things are absorbed through the skin. If you could absorb anything and everything, how come you don't swell up and burst from all that water seeping through you when you swim?

Only topical benadryl is absorbed through the skin. Topical benadryl is specifically engineered to go through your skin barrier, which is what generally keeps most things from penetrating into your body. Liquid benadryl that you drink does NOT go through your skin. So drinking it (or taking a pill) AND using a topical one would be a very bad idea. Drinking it and pouring the same stuff on your skin would have no affect whatsoever. Stuff used to treat acne either penetrates only the outer layers of your skin or is engineering with a carrier that takes it past the skin barrier -- I don;t know which. Patches that you wear on your skin -- such as pain medication or smoking cessation patches -- are biologically engineering to take the medication past your skin barrier. There things don't just magically appear in your body. There are, of course, things with a small enough molecular structure to penetrate but most things aren't. I'm not a scientist so this is a pretty basic explanation that probably contains some bad terminology, but I think the basics are right.

Every expert I've ever read says that "gluten" simply cannot penetrate your skin on its own. Personally, I've never gotten sick and my DH has never flared up from touching it. And I had DH for more than 20 years.

Before you start calling an expert and trained scientist a quack, maybe you should become a little more informed yourself.

Oscar Apprentice

Dr. Picco doesn't sound like a dr I would like to visit, another quake that hids behind the name "Mayo Clinic".

The statements attributed to the doctor are consistent with generally accepted knowledge. Your insult is uncalled for, IMO.

kareng Grand Master

Maybe you have a contact allergy, too. Just one more thing to deal with?

I don't spray things with gluten because the stuff floats in the air & lands on my lips or in my mouth (I talk alot, OK?)or on my toothbrush or water cup. I don't like to put gluten ingredients on my body because I would use my fingers and it would be on my fingers. Fingers touch food, touch the mouth, etc.

Like Richard says, most things are too big to get thru all the skin layers. A medication (like on a nicotine patch) that is small enough can.

I have put things or touched things that made my skin red or itchy, etc. That doesn't mean it was gluten.

dani nero Community Regular

Unless you wash your feet like a cat? :D

Hahahaha :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes, I agree with Karen. I would never use any wheat or gluten containing products that I might ingest via fingers or contact.

Lipstick, face creams, hair spray. Things that could possibly get into my mouth. I check those for wheat proteins.

and, I do not scrutinize nail polish--but I only paint my toenails red.

I do not suck my toes......

anymore.... :D

eeyorelvr Newbie

You guys are right, I had a moment of gluten insanity and overreacted. I know we are all very differnt and things affect each of us differently. Please accept my opologies if I offended anyone.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Interesting quote, as I have a DH reaction to not only when I ingest gluten but when I use ANY product that contains gluten. I had to change soap, shampoo, condition, hair color, makeup, and lotion, just to name a few. I can tell you without hesitation that after being gluten free for 6 months I used John Freedea straightning spray in my hair and had a reaction, Teressme's last ingredient is Wheat protein, but my whole body broke out when I used the shampoo and conditioner, my eyes have broken out from eye shadow. So no one can tell me that gluten applied to skin doesn't cause a reaction to your skin.

Some of us also have an allergy to wheat but as has been said gluten needs to either be injested or come into contact with the mucous membranes to cause the antibody reaction. You may have a true allergy as well as celiac/dh.

The only thing I wonder about from the quote is this:

"Some people develop a form of celiac disease called dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), which causes an itchy, blistering rash. This skin disorder is also linked to gluten intolerance. But although it involves the skin, DH is caused by ingesting gluten, not by skin contact with gluten. So, eliminating gluten from your diet will help clear up DH as well"

From everything I have read a diagnosis of DH is a diagnosis of celiac not gluten intolerance. Since you can have DH and not have digestive issues perhaps that is what he meant but it is still celiac.

user853 Apprentice

So everyone share!

At work, there are lots of meetings where food is brought in. It was always a pain before being the only vegetarian in the group. Now add the gluten-free and I just tell them to no longer bother ordering for me.

Yesterday was someone's birthday and they brought in brownies. The lady was all proud of herself because she bought icecream too so I could eat. It was cookies and cream. You know, with COOKIES. :rolleyes:

IrishHeart Veteran

You guys are right, I had a moment of gluten insanity and overreacted. I know we are all very differnt and things affect each of us differently. Please accept my opologies if I offended anyone.

well, gluten insanity is something we can all relate to!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I think the craziest thing I've heard about gluten from an uninitiated person was my supervisor yelled at me for eating potato chips. She thought potatos had gluten. I said thank you for caring, but were you not listening the first four times you asked me to explain my crazy food?

dani nero Community Regular

When I was trying to convince my brother to go get tested, he replied that he doesn't want to go gluten-free because he wants to be able to keep eating rice and bread, and he's a doctor in mechanical engineering and artificial intelligence lol

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

When I was trying to convince my brother to go get tested, he replied that he doesn't want to go gluten-free because he wants to be able to keep eating rice and bread, and he's a doctor in mechanical engineering and artificial intelligence lol

Food is another world, isn't it?

Most MD's don't know flip about food, nutrition, or where to find gluten. That's why it's laughable when they tell you to consult your md.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I doubt he learned much about gluten in those engineering and AI classes though. Hopefully he is open to learning something from his sis and at least listens when you tell him he needs to be tested..

PadmeMaster Apprentice

Thanks guys :)

I am pretty sensitive and oats are actually one thing I'm sensitive too. I learned the hard way. My 3 year old brother does not eat hardly anything so when he picks out food we typically don't say no. So we were at Whole Foods on the way to a doc appt and he pointed out Lucy's Cookies. It was some kind wih oatmeal and I had a pretty minor reaction (surprisingly lol).

I am careful about hair and skin products because I used to chew on my hair. My mom scared me out of that (remember the story of the woman who had to have her stomach pumped?) but my hair still ends up in my mouth. And shampoo seems to be attracted to my face. :) my mom is a tad crazy about that. She's like "well we could get that for V." :| I want to hug my sister! Lol. I use nail polish but not much. It won't stay on my fingernails!

Archived