Emilem

Edema? Anyone Else?

Rate this topic

I just found out recently that I have Celiac disease. I have been on a gluten-free diet for a month now. One of my major complaints has been edema. I feel so swollen ALL OVER my body. My abdomen, legs, feet, hands, face. It varies from day to day, but drinking fluid seems to aggravate it further. My kidneys, electrolytes, etc have all been checked out and are fine. I read some posts on here about people retaining up to 30 lbs of fluid, is this possible? I FEEL as if I am carrying around that much water, it tires me, and most importantly it is uncomfortable :(

Have any of you dealt with this as a symptom of your celiac? If so, how long did it take to go away?

I feel bloated a lot in my face and abdomen, sometimes my hands. When I did a no-sugar challenge for a week, within the first two days I lost 5 pounds of water weight. Maybe you could try eliminating sugar completely for a few days?

Swollen, yes! I felt like I was a stuffed sausage --on fire. My skin felt like it was too TIGHT.

It goes away. I am not sure exactly when I realized I was not feeling like a Macy's Day float anymore. A few months maybe?

Everyone heals at different rates.

Hang in there. :)

WOW those symptoms sound so similar to mine!

It is so uncomfortable :(

how much fluid weight were you retaining? did it all go away eventually?

did you have to cut out anything else like caffeine/sugar to notice a difference?

sorry for all the questions, its just so nice to have someone to relate to!

Swollen, yes! I felt like I was a stuffed sausage --on fire. My skin felt like it was too TIGHT.

It goes away. I am not sure exactly when I realized I was not feeling like a Macy's Day float anymore. A few months maybe?

Everyone heals at different rates.

Hang in there. :)

Long before I became very ill from celiac, I was ...shall I say it? okay...I was chubby. :lol: I topped off at 215. At 5'4", that is NOT good. I always felt swollen, had sore joints, you name it. No diet worked. I tried hard to lose that puffy body.

Then, I became very ill, dropped a whopping 90 lbs. without trying...my ribs were showing, I looked emaciated, but I still had edema.

Get Dxed, go gluten-free.

Still have edema.... hmm....what's going on?

Nothing, it's just inflammation and...then, I noticed GRADUALLY ....no swollen fingers, face, knees, feet, or ankles....

When do I see it come back? accidental glutening :blink:

and sometimes --and this is just me!!--if I have too many carbs, too much shellfish or foods high in MSG, salicylates and preservatives. Which is why I avoid them.

Those are not true allergies in me (I was tested) --

they are just foods that are too much for my gut to process right now--and they give me what "feels like" an allergic response.

Everyone is different and no one can say for sure when your symptoms will resolve.

hmm, I would wonder about protein malabsorbtion? maybe some pancreatic enzymes; and definetly low carb.

Agree! and yes, I use enzymes, too!

I had this bookmarked from Glutenfreeworks...and maybe it will be of some help?

Edema

• Upvote 1

thank you! very helpful!

I had this bookmarked from Glutenfreeworks...and maybe it will be of some help?

Edema

okay, hon--best wishes! :)