GFreeMO

Non-Food Ways Of Celebrating Birthdays/Events

Rate this topic

I have a couple of things coming up. The first is my Birthday. Because of other food allergies, I can't eat anything processed so my husband and I just usually stay home and BBQ. The second is a bunch of family from out of state are coming to visit my parents. We do want to join in and hang out with everyone. This always involves eating out at least 2 times a day and going to places like a zoo or a ball game or somewhere else where I can't bring my own food. (I dont mind that at all)

What are some non-food things that we can do as a family for my Birthday and for the get together. Any ideas? Some of the people are older folks so bowling and things like that are out.

Thanks for the ideas!!

I thought of a big picnic but since they are all from out of town, they wont be able to do that..no coolers, etc. I can't afford to feed all 14 of them Gluten-free Casein-free foods.

Edited by GFreeMO

What about a family game party? You could bring out cards, do charades, have various games and for food do finger veggies, dips and maybe a fruit salad.

Croquet? . . . my former neighbors were BIG-TIME serious croquet players when they all got together as a family . . . about five 30ish brothers. You might have thought basketball or something but no, it was croquet and they were ALL business.

You don't have to be all business . . . you're allowed to do it just for fun :D

Now MY family always played black jack together. Pennies and nickles so nobody got hit too bad.

Is there a science centre or cool museum to go to? No food involved there! IMAX theatre? Anywhere to make pottery or other crafts together? Our town is small so none of these is available here but they can actually be a lot of fun. I was going to suggest paintball or rock climbing but it may not be the smartest idea for the less youthful people! :lol:

Actually, bowling might be fun! My dad is 77 and still bowls every week. It's fun to watch the others bowl, too.

You mentioned a baseball game, if you are coming up to KC Royals, you can bring food in. Look at the stadium website for the size of containers.

Do you have any local theater? Or high school jazz band concerts? Mini- golf?