Monklady123

What's A Good Gluten Free Book For An 82-Year-Old?

Rate this topic

My mother finally decided to take my suggestion to try a gluten free diet, because of diarrhea for almost three weeks! (plus other symptoms that she's had on and off for awhile). I explained to her about not going gluten free if she thought she might want a biopsy. Her reply to that was "what? more tests? No way, not if I can help it!" lol...

So, she tried the diet and practically overnight she was cured! Seriously, some of these doctors need some retraining. :angry:

Anyway, I don't know anything about books since just about everything I learned about gluten free was from this board. B) However, my mom is not going to go surfing around the internet. So what do you think is a good book? One that would give her some basic medical info, and would discuss eating and what we can and can't eat, where gluten can hide, etc. Of course I've looked on Amazon and since there are a bazillion gluten free books I have no idea which one(s) would be good for her.

Thanks much. :)

Living Gluten-Free for Dummies by Danna Korn might be a good book for her.

gluten-free for Dummies! But if you are close to her you could just mentor her? Is she a young 82,then she may read & try to learn but at 82 for some they want no changes that they have to deal with on ;their own...confusing for them....Sometimes having them write it down in their own hand writing they asborb more knowledge so talking to them helps them get it...Just a suggestion...

mamaw

For cookbooks and starting out I like gluten free on a shoestring by Nicole hunn. A lot of basic recipient in there. I also like the marketplace guide for grocery stores that the sell at the gluten free market place. I'm just starting out too. They have all helped me.

My 85- year- old Mom went gluten-free after my DX and is doing very well on it, so good for your Mom, too!! :)

If it helps, I collected some basic safe and easy food menus and all the links to hidden gluten, safe/unsafe foods etc., gluten-free certified companies, etc. for my family and posted it here, if you want to print some of that off for her?

Just a thought! :)

The Danna Korn book is a great idea! It's the first one I read and the one I recommend as well.

Best wishes to your Mom!!

I'd also recommend restaurant cards if the book doesn't include them. Sometimes people can be patronizing to older adults.

Thanks everyone. Looks like Gluten Free For Dummies is in her future. I can hear her reply now: "so you think I'm a dummy, eh?" lol.... (she'll be joking)

That book Gluten Free on a Shoestring looks good also. I may get one of those for myself. Lol.

I think I will print out some things from here also. She'll do fine on her own without me there all the time because she's pretty aware of diet due to high cholesterol. I live about four hours away. I'll be going for a visit in a couple weeks so I plan to buy her some things. Bread, crackers, etc.

Thanks again.

Oh and please anyone else feel free to add any other books you might like. I'll get Dummies but am certainly open to buying more.