user853

Beeturia?

Rate this topic

Roasted beets for Sunday dinner. Of course, I am the only one who eats them. So, I had leftovers for lunch Monday and Tuesday. Each day was equivalent of 1 small to meduim beet. I thought pink/red urine and stool (beeturia) was a pretty common thing after eating beets. So, I wasn't alarmed when my urine was a little dark yesterday. This mornin (Wednesday), I had fully RED urine and stool. So, I don't think I had that many beets! I eat beets semi regularly, but never a few days in a row like this week.

Anyway, I got to googling and see that beeturia only happens in 10 - 14% of the people and can indicate iron or B12 deficiencies. During the last year I have been tested for both iron and B12 deficiencies (as my issues were being blamed on being vegetarian), and have been fine.

Should I be concerned about the beeturia? Is this common in people with celiac?

Stop eating beets and see if it goes away? I know food dyes can sometimes make poop colored. And beets are used to dye things sometimes.

Stop eating beets and see if it goes away? I know food dyes can sometimes make poop colored. And beets are used to dye things sometimes.

Thanks. I am not actually concerned with the red urine and stool. More concerned that they indiciate some other problem.

Did you see your test results and see the range that was used? <_<

Did you see your test results and see the range that was used? <_<

no