This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eyesight

Greyhound

Greyhound Rookie

I'd been worried about my long-distance eyesight over the last few months but today I noticed that it seems to have improved slightly.

Is this just wishful thinking or has anyone else experienced an improvement in eyesight after going gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BabsV Enthusiast

I'd been worried about my long-distance eyesight over the last few months but today I noticed that it seems to have improved slightly.

Is this just wishful thinking or has anyone else experienced an improvement in eyesight after going gluten-free?

Being gluten-free has made no dent in my absolute horrible eyesight...but I did have an eye doctor tell me that he's seen patients actually have their eyesight improve when they hit their early-40s. I've got my fingers crossed this will happen to me -- even a tiny improvement would be great!

TeknoLen Rookie

I am a little near-sighted and have not noticed any changes yet (after about 5 months gluten-free)...

nursenation2 Rookie

I don't know about how an actual visual test would go but I noticed when I went gluten-free that I felt like my vision cleared. Almost like everything had a haze, especially long distance. When I went gluten-free it was like putting on Polarized sunglasses. When I get glutened I can tell a difference in my vision.

Takala Enthusiast

I regained my ability to see at night in dim light after several years of gluten free. I also regained the color vision I was slowly losing in one eye. My eyes cross less, and track together a bit better.

The extraordinary thing is I had described these symptoms for years to every doctor I saw, when I started having neurological problems, and not one of them could make the connection. I had two of them be very flippant about it, which I still can't believe. What is more important than going blind, to what is supposed to be an opthamologist ?!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

In my late 40's my vision went from 20:40 to 20:20 after diagnosis and the gluten free diet. I can't see with my glasses anymore. I stopped needing glasses for reading, though as I age further I need them again, but just regular readers, not prescription readers. My ophthalmologist was unable to explain it. Prior to that she kept giving me all sorts of tests for glaucoma etc. Afterwards, she told me that I don't need to see her anymore, I could just go to an optometrist.

Greyhound Rookie

Many thanks for the replies!

By the way, I said above that I'd been getting worried in the last few months but come to think of it it's probably been over a year. I work with computers but the change seemed to be happening slightly too quickly for it to be being caused by that. I don't know - it just didn't seem right.

I'm just so relieved that my eyesight *seems* to be improving but it's early days yet. Your posts have given me extra hope :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ninja Contributor

It makes sense to me that Celiac causes malabsorption which leads to vitamin deficiencies which can lead to muscle weakness/wasting, imbalances, etc. If this can happen in the "big" muscles (back, legs, arms, abs) of our bodies, it must occur in some of the "smaller" muscles, like the eyes. Eye teaming is a very important component in our vision and can affect our acuity! Now this is totally a hypothesis I've got/made based on what I know about how eyes function. :) I wouldn't at all be surprised if your eyesight improved/s

Archived