crissy82

Is It Normal To Lose Weight When You First Go Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

I am going on a month Gluten Free now. I have lost about 15 pounds this month. I am overweight so 15 pounds isn't uncommon when I have gone on diets in the past. But I know this is not a diet. It is a way of life now. I was just wondering if it is common to lose some weight. Plus I have bad anxiety so I haven't been eating a lot anyways. I am hoping the anxiety goes away with time.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I hope so! ;)

Weight loss is not guaranteed but it is not surprising either depending on how your diet has shifted. I have dropped a few pounds since going gluten-free/paleo, mainly due to elimination of sodas, ice cream, beer, dairy and processed grain carbs and replacement with more vegetables and lean meat. Weight loss could also partially be a result of malabsorption so you may need to keep an eye on your vitamin levels, like D, B12, B-complex, and magnesium to name only a few. B vitamins might help with the anxiety also, I seem to remember reading somewhere... Good luck.

I lost about 25 lbs. Mostly due to more carefully monitoring what I was eating, and no beer. Amazing what happens when you stop eating fried foods, fast food, pastries, etc.

I lost one dress size from going off gluten, but I think that was just the swelling caused by the gluten going away. After that any weight I lost was due to not being able to eat anything, but not because I was gluten-free. I know that if I start eating lots of carbs again all the weight will come back.

Ads by Google:

Thanks everyone! Like I said I have horrible anxiety. And I do mean horrible. My mother in law works at Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer center in Nashville. We had a family get together on Sunday night. My husband's grandmother had noticed how much weight I had lost. My mother in law then goes on to freak out and tell me that wasn't good and that is the first sign of cancer. Not what I needed to hear. Sent me into a major panic attack.

Thanks everyone! Like I said I have horrible anxiety. And I do mean horrible. My mother in law works at Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer center in Nashville. We had a family get together on Sunday night. My husband's grandmother had noticed how much weight I had lost. My mother in law then goes on to freak out and tell me that wasn't good and that is the first sign of cancer. Not what I needed to hear. Sent me into a major panic attack.

If you've shifted to more fruits and veggies, rather than breads and sweets, you'll lose weight. Malabsorption could be weighing in too?

I found I was losing weight because I was eating less calories, not less food.

If you have a lot of anxiety, you may be anemic? It sure doesn't help to have someone throw out the C word! :o I wish people would think before they speak.

I wish people would realize that if you are not eating food because you are scared to eat for fear that what you are eating is going to make you sick, you will lose weight. I went from 172 to 162 in two weeks. I was taking Miralax, eating Rice Chex like twice a day, and drinking water.

Although some people experience a weight loss at first due to a drastic change in the kinds of food they eat overall people who go gluten free ultimately gain weight as their gut heals and they stop malabsorbing. Also, gluten free processed products tend to be very calorie dense compared to there gluten counterparts.

• Upvote 1

I lost 2 pants sizes when I went gluten free a few weeks ago. I have recently started eating more chocolate and sweets, so my weight lose has slowed but if you notice cutting out gluten, usually means eating altogether healthier, no matter if you are gluten intolerant or not.

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

I lost 2 pants sizes when I went gluten free a few weeks ago. I have recently started eating more chocolate and sweets, so my weight lose has slowed but if you notice cutting out gluten, usually means eating altogether healthier, no matter if you are gluten intolerant or not.

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. In my opinion, eating gluten-free doesn't necessary mean you're eating healthier. Gluten-free bread and pasta, as well as any gluten-free processed foods are still.. processed and will have the same toll on the body as any wheat-based processed foods.

Eating healthier means eating natural foods (that don't require a label in order to know what they contain), and not overdosing on sugar, saturated fats, chemicals, coloring, preservatives, salt and so on. In my opinion that is.

There are people who have a cola and snickers for breakfast, yet are slim because their body type can handle it. That doesn't make them healthy people. I just don't measure health by weight alone.

• Upvote 1

Eating healthier means eating natural foods (that don't require a label in order to know what they contain), and not overdosing on sugar, saturated fats, chemicals, coloring, preservatives, salt and so on. In my opinion that is.

I fully agree.

What I noticed in the forum is that the majority of the people are just replacing the gluten-rich products for the gluten-free ones and continue their unhealthy eating habits. Thereby risking a lot of mistakes. And, let's face it, the gluten free specials are far more expensive too.

I believe that changing your eating habits completely by one that is originally gluten free is a far better option.

Going on Paleo, I think, would actually be, by far, the healthiest choice for us. Yet, it can come along with a lot of weight loss. I do believe, however, it is the best way to start the gluten free journey, as it clears up the gut flora first.

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. In my opinion, eating gluten-free doesn't necessary mean you're eating healthier. Gluten-free bread and pasta, as well as any gluten-free processed foods are still.. processed and will have the same toll on the body as any wheat-based processed foods.

There are people who have a cola and snickers for breakfast, yet are slim because their body type can handle it. That doesn't make them healthy people. I just don't measure health by weight alone.

You have to think when you first switch over did you eat gluten-free pastries, breads, bagels, or pastas? I didn't because my parents don't. My parents still don't after 10 years. So in my experience eating gluten-free is healthier eating. gluten-free to me means eating more whole foods, less processed foods, and making more things from scratch. My mother at her smallest was eating 2 king size snicker bars and a 12 oz steak with a loaded baked potato for dinner because everyone thought she was too skinny.

gluten-free to me means eating more whole foods, less processed foods, and making more things from scratch.

To everyone else a gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes foods containing gluten, but does not necessarily exclude processed foods.. which is why I got confused :-) We're on the same page in principles, but not in definitions ;-)

I'm totally new at this, started eating Gluten Free last October. But I have dropped 3 sizes. I have peanut allergies and am often fearful of processed foods, having had a reaction to a few gluten free mixes. So I typically just eat meat, veges, fruit and some rice pasta. I also notice that I'm not as hungry as I used to be, so I can eat less and feel full.

I totaly agree with you Dani...I've been thinking this for awhile and wanted to remind everyone GLUTENFREE DOESN"T MEAN FATFREE!

I know when we are first diagnosed we tend to freak out alittle ...thinking omg look at everything I CAN'T eat! then when we see/find substitutes theres a sense of relief! But this is a GREAT oppertunity as several of you have said...to GET RID OF BAD HABITS AND EAT HEALTHY! This is not a loss...thats the CARB ADDICTION talking! once you give HEALTHY a chance...you don't even WANT those fattening foods...it will make your body feel bloated and slow. the right subs...from NATURAL sources are more satisfying and tastier!Eat organic DARK chocolate if you MUST...there are different GRADES which affect sweetness(if you like it sweet)its a GREAT antioxident as well...fruit...honey...dates...all sweet and tasty...much healthier for us.And if you don't know what to do with all these new found foods google celiac recipes...vegiterian recipes..or wonder over to the FOOD section of the celiac forum where some of our most CREATIVE members are TOTALLY willing to share thier expertese and best foodie secrets...not to mention advice! LOL! HEALTHY CAN BE YUMMMY!LOL! :P

(...and don't forget...that SUBSTITUDE we are using...corn...is also fed to livestock to FATTEN them up! EEEWWWW!!!!...LOL :blink::rolleyes: ...just saying! :D )So even though we are kinda being FORCED to change our food habits...its not a BAD thing....WE can make it a GREAT thing by being healthier than we EVER have....(it may take a little relearning...but its worth it...AND there is a WORLD of great food out there...YOU just have to FIND it!) BON APPETETE! :D

Oh...and did I mention veggies...(I just mentioned sweets)...Veggies DON'T HAVE TO BE BORING...They just need some clever combos!...There are INCREDABLE things you can do to flavor up VEGGIES...you just need to LEARN! I've been seeing amazing dishes to make latly....I can't wait to try them!

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 437 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/19/2018 - Could baking soda help reduce the inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease? Scientists at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University say that a daily dose of baking soda may in fact help reduce inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease.
    Those scientists recently gathered some of the first evidence to show that cheap, over-the-counter antacids can prompt the spleen to promote an anti-inflammatory environment that could be helpful in combating inflammatory disease.
    A type of cell called mesothelial cells line our body cavities, like the digestive tract. They have little fingers, called microvilli, that sense the environment, and warn the organs they cover that there is an invader and an immune response is needed.
    The team’s data shows that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, the stomach makes more acid, which causes mesothelial cells on the outside of the spleen to tell the spleen to go easy on the immune response.  "It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author.
    That message, which is transmitted with help from a chemical messenger called acetylcholine, seems to encourage the gut to shift against inflammation, say the scientists.
    In patients who drank water with baking soda for two weeks, immune cells called macrophages, shifted from primarily those that promote inflammation, called M1, to those that reduce it, called M2. "The shift from inflammatory to an anti-inflammatory profile is happening everywhere," O'Connor says. "We saw it in the kidneys, we saw it in the spleen, now we see it in the peripheral blood."
    O'Connor hopes drinking baking soda can one day produce similar results for people with autoimmune disease. "You are not really turning anything off or on, you are just pushing it toward one side by giving an anti-inflammatory stimulus," he says, in this case, away from harmful inflammation. "It's potentially a really safe way to treat inflammatory disease."
    The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health.
    Read more at: Sciencedaily.com

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/18/2018 - Celiac disease has been mainly associated with Caucasian populations in Northern Europe, and their descendants in other countries, but new scientific evidence is beginning to challenge that view. Still, the exact global prevalence of celiac disease remains unknown.  To get better data on that issue, a team of researchers recently conducted a comprehensive review and meta-analysis to get a reasonably accurate estimate the global prevalence of celiac disease. 
    The research team included P Singh, A Arora, TA Strand, DA Leffler, C Catassi, PH Green, CP Kelly, V Ahuja, and GK Makharia. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India; Innlandet Hospital Trust, Lillehammer, Norway; Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway; Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Gastroenterology Research and Development, Takeda Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA; Department of Pediatrics, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy; Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; USA Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; and the Department of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
    For their review, the team searched Medline, PubMed, and EMBASE for the keywords ‘celiac disease,’ ‘celiac,’ ‘tissue transglutaminase antibody,’ ‘anti-endomysium antibody,’ ‘endomysial antibody,’ and ‘prevalence’ for studies published from January 1991 through March 2016. 
    The team cross-referenced each article with the words ‘Asia,’ ‘Europe,’ ‘Africa,’ ‘South America,’ ‘North America,’ and ‘Australia.’ They defined celiac diagnosis based on European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition guidelines. The team used 96 articles of 3,843 articles in their final analysis.
    Overall global prevalence of celiac disease was 1.4% in 275,818 individuals, based on positive blood tests for anti-tissue transglutaminase and/or anti-endomysial antibodies. The pooled global prevalence of biopsy-confirmed celiac disease was 0.7% in 138,792 individuals. That means that numerous people with celiac disease potentially remain undiagnosed.
    Rates of celiac disease were 0.4% in South America, 0.5% in Africa and North America, 0.6% in Asia, and 0.8% in Europe and Oceania; the prevalence was 0.6% in female vs 0.4% males. Celiac disease was significantly more common in children than adults.
    This systematic review and meta-analysis showed celiac disease to be reported worldwide. Blood test data shows celiac disease rate of 1.4%, while biopsy data shows 0.7%. The prevalence of celiac disease varies with sex, age, and location. 
    This review demonstrates a need for more comprehensive population-based studies of celiac disease in numerous countries.  The 1.4% rate indicates that there are 91.2 million people worldwide with celiac disease, and 3.9 million are in the U.S.A.
    Source:
    Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Jun;16(6):823-836.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2017.06.037.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/16/2018 - Summer is the time for chips and salsa. This fresh salsa recipe relies on cabbage, yes, cabbage, as a secret ingredient. The cabbage brings a delicious flavor and helps the salsa hold together nicely for scooping with your favorite chips. The result is a fresh, tasty salsa that goes great with guacamole.
    Ingredients:
    3 cups ripe fresh tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded green cabbage ½ cup diced yellow onion ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeno, seeded 1 Serrano pepper, seeded 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced salt to taste black pepper, to taste Directions:
    Purée all ingredients together in a blender.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
    Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired. 
    Serve is a bowl with tortilla chips and guacamole.

Dr. Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.
    Celiac.com 06/15/2018 - There seems to be widespread agreement in the published medical research reports that stuttering is driven by abnormalities in the brain. Sometimes these are the result of brain injuries resulting from a stroke. Other types of brain injuries can also result in stuttering. Patients with Parkinson’s disease who were treated with stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus, an area of the brain that regulates some motor functions, experienced a return or worsening of stuttering that improved when the stimulation was turned off (1). Similarly, stroke has also been reported in association with acquired stuttering (2). While there are some reports of psychological mechanisms underlying stuttering, a majority of reports seem to favor altered brain morphology and/or function as the root of stuttering (3). Reports of structural differences between the brain hemispheres that are absent in those who do not stutter are also common (4). About 5% of children stutter, beginning sometime around age 3, during the phase of speech acquisition. However, about 75% of these cases resolve without intervention, before reaching their teens (5). Some cases of aphasia, a loss of speech production or understanding, have been reported in association with damage or changes to one or more of the language centers of the brain (6). Stuttering may sometimes arise from changes or damage to these same language centers (7). Thus, many stutterers have abnormalities in the same regions of the brain similar to those seen in aphasia.
    So how, you may ask, is all this related to gluten? As a starting point, one report from the medical literature identifies a patient who developed aphasia after admission for severe diarrhea. By the time celiac disease was diagnosed, he had completely lost his faculty of speech. However, his speech and normal bowel function gradually returned after beginning a gluten free diet (8). This finding was so controversial at the time of publication (1988) that the authors chose to remain anonymous. Nonetheless, it is a valuable clue that suggests gluten as a factor in compromised speech production. At about the same time (late 1980’s) reports of connections between untreated celiac disease and seizures/epilepsy were emerging in the medical literature (9).
    With the advent of the Internet a whole new field of anecdotal information was emerging, connecting a variety of neurological symptoms to celiac disease. While many medical practitioners and researchers were casting aspersions on these assertions, a select few chose to explore such claims using scientific research designs and methods. While connections between stuttering and gluten consumption seem to have been overlooked by the medical research community, there is a rich literature on the Internet that cries out for more structured investigation of this connection. Conversely, perhaps a publication bias of the peer review process excludes work that explores this connection.
    Whatever the reason that stuttering has not been reported in the medical literature in association with gluten ingestion, a number of personal disclosures and comments suggesting a connection between gluten and stuttering can be found on the Internet. Abid Hussain, in an article about food allergy and stuttering said: “The most common food allergy prevalent in stutterers is that of gluten which has been found to aggravate the stutter” (10). Similarly, Craig Forsythe posted an article that includes five cases of self-reporting individuals who believe that their stuttering is or was connected to gluten, one of whom also experiences stuttering from foods containing yeast (11). The same site contains one report of a stutterer who has had no relief despite following a gluten free diet for 20 years (11). Another stutterer, Jay88, reports the complete disappearance of her/his stammer on a gluten free diet (12). Doubtless there are many more such anecdotes to be found on the Internet* but we have to question them, exercising more skepticism than we might when reading similar claims in a peer reviewed scientific or medical journal.
    There are many reports in such journals connecting brain and neurological ailments with gluten, so it is not much of a stretch, on that basis alone, to suspect that stuttering may be a symptom of the gluten syndrome. Rodney Ford has even characterized celiac disease as an ailment that may begin through gluten-induced neurological damage (13) and Marios Hadjivassiliou and his group of neurologists and neurological investigators have devoted considerable time and effort to research that reveals gluten as an important factor in a majority of neurological diseases of unknown origin (14) which, as I have pointed out previously, includes most neurological ailments.
    My own experience with stuttering is limited. I stuttered as a child when I became nervous, upset, or self-conscious. Although I have been gluten free for many years, I haven’t noticed any impact on my inclination to stutter when upset. I don’t know if they are related, but I have also had challenges with speaking when distressed and I have noticed a substantial improvement in this area since removing gluten from my diet. Nonetheless, I have long wondered if there is a connection between gluten consumption and stuttering. Having done the research for this article, I would now encourage stutterers to try a gluten free diet for six months to see if it will reduce or eliminate their stutter. Meanwhile, I hope that some investigator out there will research this matter, publish her findings, and start the ball rolling toward getting some definitive answers to this question.
    Sources:
    1. Toft M, Dietrichs E. Aggravated stuttering following subthalamic deep brain stimulation in Parkinson’s disease--two cases. BMC Neurol. 2011 Apr 8;11:44.
    2. Tani T, Sakai Y. Stuttering after right cerebellar infarction: a case study. J Fluency Disord. 2010 Jun;35(2):141-5. Epub 2010 Mar 15.
    3. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    4. Jäncke L, Hänggi J, Steinmetz H. Morphological brain differences between adult stutterers and non-stutterers. BMC Neurol. 2004 Dec 10;4(1):23.
    5. Kell CA, Neumann K, von Kriegstein K, Posenenske C, von Gudenberg AW, Euler H, Giraud AL. How the brain repairs stuttering. Brain. 2009 Oct;132(Pt 10):2747-60. Epub 2009 Aug 26.
    6. Galantucci S, Tartaglia MC, Wilson SM, Henry ML, Filippi M, Agosta F, Dronkers NF, Henry RG, Ogar JM, Miller BL, Gorno-Tempini ML. White matter damage in primary progressive aphasias: a diffusion tensor tractography study. Brain. 2011 Jun 11.
    7. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    8. [No authors listed] Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 43-1988. A 52-year-old man with persistent watery diarrhea and aphasia. N Engl J Med. 1988 Oct 27;319(17):1139-48
    9. Molteni N, Bardella MT, Baldassarri AR, Bianchi PA. Celiac disease associated with epilepsy and intracranial calcifications: report of two patients. Am J Gastroenterol. 1988 Sep;83(9):992-4.
    10. http://ezinearticles.com/?Food-Allergy-and-Stuttering-Link&id=1235725 
    11. http://www.craig.copperleife.com/health/stuttering_allergies.htm 
    12. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/73362-any-help-is-appreciated/
    13. Ford RP. The gluten syndrome: a neurological disease. Med Hypotheses. 2009 Sep;73(3):438-40. Epub 2009 Apr 29.
    14. Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GA, Lobo AJ, Stephenson TJ, Milford-Ward A. Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness? Lancet. 1996 Feb 10;347(8998):369-71.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/14/2018 - Refractory celiac disease type II (RCDII) is a rare complication of celiac disease that has high death rates. To diagnose RCDII, doctors identify a clonal population of phenotypically aberrant intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs). 
    However, researchers really don’t have much data regarding the frequency and significance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. Such data could provide useful comparison information for patients with RCDII, among other things.
    To that end, a research team recently set out to try to get some information about the frequency and importance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. The research team included Shafinaz Hussein, Tatyana Gindin, Stephen M Lagana, Carolina Arguelles-Grande, Suneeta Krishnareddy, Bachir Alobeid, Suzanne K Lewis, Mahesh M Mansukhani, Peter H R Green, and Govind Bhagat.
    They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, and the Department of Medicine at the Celiac Disease Center, New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA. Their team analyzed results of TCR-GR analyses performed on SB biopsies at our institution over a 3-year period, which were obtained from eight active celiac disease, 172 celiac disease on gluten-free diet, 33 RCDI, and three RCDII patients and 14 patients without celiac disease. 
    Clonal TCR-GRs are not infrequent in cases lacking features of RCDII, while PCPs are frequent in all disease phases. TCR-GR results should be assessed in conjunction with immunophenotypic, histological and clinical findings for appropriate diagnosis and classification of RCD.
    The team divided the TCR-GR patterns into clonal, polyclonal and prominent clonal peaks (PCPs), and correlated these patterns with clinical and pathological features. In all, they detected clonal TCR-GR products in biopsies from 67% of patients with RCDII, 17% of patients with RCDI and 6% of patients with gluten-free diet. They found PCPs in all disease phases, but saw no significant difference in the TCR-GR patterns between the non-RCDII disease categories (p=0.39). 
    They also noted a higher frequency of surface CD3(−) IELs in cases with clonal TCR-GR, but the PCP pattern showed no associations with any clinical or pathological feature. 
    Repeat biopsy showed that the clonal or PCP pattern persisted for up to 2 years with no evidence of RCDII. The study indicates that better understanding of clonal T cell receptor gene rearrangements may help researchers improve refractory celiac diagnosis. 
    Source:
    Journal of Clinical Pathologyhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2018-205023

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    jmurdesh

• Topics

• Summer time is among us, and not every one has the local Gluten Free ice cream catering like I run or make your own SO I found this recent list of gluten free frozen treats. They have the listed allergens, and even gives you list of dedicated facilities.

Ice creams
      https://www.spokin.com/top-celiac-and-allergy-friendly-ice-cream-brands?

Popsicle
      https://www.spokin.com/top-celiac-and-allergy-friendly-popsicles?
    • Hi,  The anemia was most likely caused by celiac disease damage to your gut lining (villi).  The damage caused by celiac disease affects absorption of nutrients including vitamins and minerals.  So your body will begin to decline as it won't be able to properly function without adequate amounts of many vitamins and minerals. Also your immune system will begin working overtime to produce antibodies to gluten on a continual basis.  That's a bad thing as a ramped up immune response may develop reactions to other foods you eat.  I can't eat dairy, nightshades, soy, carrots, celery, and other foods.  All these other food intolerances most likely developed because my gut was irritated and inflamed from eating gluten for years and not knowing I had celiac disease. The forum software used to have a signature footer that showed up under posts.  Many members listed their additional food intolerances in the signature footer.  There are a lot of celiacs who had additional food intolerances develop. Since your immune system is going to go crazy trying to "fix" the problem, you can expect your other AI condition symptoms to get worse.  That is not good. Just because it is hard to do doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.  Eating gluten-free does get easier over time if you stick with it.  You can get used to eating different foods and even like them.  There is plenty of naturally gluten-free food out there.  It does take some adjustment and maybe a little adventurous spirit to eat and live gluten-free.  But the payoff is great in health and wellness. If you ate gluten-free for 3 years you can eat gluten-free for 5 years.  And 10 years etc.  You know you can do it because you already did it.
    • The gluten challenge is 12 weeks of eating gluten for the blood antibodies tests and 2 weeks for the endosocpy.  There is also the test for DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) which is a skin biopsy.  DH causes a rash on the body, often in a symmetrical pattern.  The IgA antibodies are deposited in the skin and cause the rash.  They test for DH by taking a small skin sample from next to a lesion, not on a lesion.   Going to a dermatologist who is familiar with celiac disease/ DH could be an option. Check around your area to see if you can find a dermatologist that other people with celiac disease and DH have seen.  Sometimes hospitals have celiac support groups and you might find some doctor recommendations from them. Celiac disease is not easy to diagnose but if you aren't eating gluten it is pretty much impossible to diagnose.  That may change in a few years as there were new tests being talked about that may be able to do diagnosis without a gluten challenge.  But they aren't available yet.  
    • Might be your new regular, if you went to a whole foods diet with plenty of veggies, etc. And less processed crap your getting more fiber. I used to get constipation before going gluten free....yours could be a similar issue but just 2 months is a rather short time. Many times constipation is brought on by magnesium issues, healed gut, etc. can fix this,

Other thoughts, are you consuming a lot of fruits, juices, taking vitamin C. Frequent bowl movements could also be your getting your upward threshold of vitamin C. You could be getting more fiber then your used to.

Or you could be getting a light gluten exposure from a condiment jar/butter tub with crumbs, or a pan with scratches you did not throw out. Ate outside your own house? Do check the newbie 101 thread to see if you missed anything.

Any other information you can tell us? Like what you eat, Do you see pieces of undigested food? This could be a enzyme issue or a gut biome issue.

• Sure.  That could be normal for you.  2 months isn't that long to heal and get everything regulated.   It may be different 2 months from now.
  • Blog Entries

• Upcoming Events