Emilem

Shampoo With Gluten?

Rate this topic

i have been on a gluten free diet for 2 months and have yet to see improvement in my edema (swelling) all over the body. i noticed this morning that my shampoo may be the root of the problem? does anyone know if cosmetics could cause this type of reaction, even if they aren't ingested?

Opinions and research vary on this topic. I am personally topically gluten free, with papers to back up my decision. Most doctors will tell you it's not necessary except for lipstick/balm. There are others on this board who point out that your eyes drain into your sinuses and thus into your stomach, so gluten free eye makeup is a good idea. Also, if you touch your face a lot, and can't train yourself out of it, or your hair for that matter, you may want to consider gluten free makeup. To induce an immune reaction, gluten must enter the digestive tract, and cannot be absorbed through the skin. However, myriad opportunities exist for potential glutenings with gluten topicals. PM me for a link to a short YouTube clip on this topic if interested.