This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

First Real Gutening - Ugh!

Jetamio

Jetamio Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I am positive I glutened myself yesterday - still trying to figure out what exactly but I think it was a seasoning I bought. It's the first big screw up I've made since I went gluten-free (had a taste of gluten sauce by accident last month) and it is an excellent reminder to myself to be more careful! I should have read more carefully. My stomach is upset, belching, eyes sore and my sinuses are on fire today. I'm sitting in my office with the lights off because of the headache. I haven't felt this bad for a while. *sigh*

Thanks for reading, I just needed to whine a bit to people who have been there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dani nero Community Regular

Aww.. sorry you're not feeling well :-( Don't beat yourself up over it, s---- happens!

Hope it doesn't last long for you! I've read from other members here that the best you can do is drink plenty of water to get everything out of your system asap.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Sorry. Water, digestive enzymes and probiotics.

Maybe a Neti pot for the sinuses??

IrishHeart Veteran

Sorry you got hit. :(

Same advice from me: water, water, water

and double up on the probiotics for a week and just take it easy.

I see you are also MSG intolerant. Me, too. Could it have been that, hon?? That gives me nausea and a vicious migraine and "swelling" in my face, eyes, throat and hands.

Just a thought.

Feel better soon!

Di2011 Enthusiast
:( just a sympathy post from me. It's been a while since its hit me but we all understand.
Jetamio Apprentice

Thanks everyone.

I'm really drinking the water up as we speak. I take allergy pills every day and I read (here maybe?) that can help with reactions too so I'm hoping. I'm trying to trace over my meals yesterday and see what it might have been. I noticed my tummy was off last night before bed but the sinus stuff hit like a truck this morning.

Irish - MSG is a good point. I usually get migraine headaches MSG. I'll check for that as well.

crissy82 Rookie

Sorry you got hit. :(

Same advice from me: water, water, water

and double up on the probiotics for a week and just take it easy.

I see you are also MSG intolerant. Me, too. Could it have been that, hon?? That gives me nausea and a vicious migraine and "swelling" in my face, eyes, throat and hands.

Just a thought.

Feel better soon!

How do you avoid eating MSG. It is everywhere? I would love to eliminate as much MSG from my diet as I can. What foods do you eat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jetamio Apprentice

Crissy - As long as I eat "real" food, I do ok. Fruit, veggies, some meat now, rice, etc. Sauces, spices and packaged food are the big threat for me. MSG has a bunch of "hidden" names and sometimes it is hard to tell. I do better avoiding it now that I'm gluten-free. We have a good spice shop here in CO that has tons of gluten free spices that are also msg and soy free and that helps a lot. I don't do well with much soy either.

IrishHeart Veteran

How do you avoid eating MSG. It is everywhere? I would love to eliminate as much MSG from my diet as I can. What foods do you eat?

Stop eating packaged/preserved foods if you want to avoid MSG.

Asian packaged foods, soups, gravies, etc.--that sort of thing?--have a lot of MSG in them.

I look at MSG, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), preservatives and soy the same way I look at gluten. I avoid them.

I read labels as carefully for those as I do for gluten. My eyes are well-trained now. :lol:

What do I eat? :) well, I eat LOTS of delicious foods: meats, fish, poultry, veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs, small amounts of cheese, coconut milk, homemade gluten-free bread, muffins, cakes, pizza, on and on.... it would be easier to tell you what I do not eat.

Right now, I've got a osso bucco (veal shanks in wine, stock, tomatoes, onions, veggies and herbs) going in the slow cooker and I will add Saffron risotto to it and some roasted asparagus for a full meal. I have some flan leftover from the weekend.

My own rules for eating?

No Packaged foods that have more than 4 or 5 ingredients because then, you are just asking for trouble. For example, Haggen das strawberry ice cream has milk, cream, berries, sugar, eggs. Works for me!

NO Packaged foods that have multi-syllabic words or unpronounceable words or lots of abbreviated ingredients like: "Hydrogenated or hydrolyzed soy protein" or "BHT".

If I do not know what it is, and my chemist husband does not know what it is either, :lol: I do not eat it.

Stick to whole foods or foods that are more "clean".

crissy82 Rookie

Crissy - As long as I eat "real" food, I do ok. Fruit, veggies, some meat now, rice, etc. Sauces, spices and packaged food are the big threat for me. MSG has a bunch of "hidden" names and sometimes it is hard to tell. I do better avoiding it now that I'm gluten-free. We have a good spice shop here in CO that has tons of gluten free spices that are also msg and soy free and that helps a lot. I don't do well with much soy either.

Before I went gluten free almost everytime I would eat my face and chest would get really flushed. I have always wondered if it was an intolerance to MSG. It would happen especially after eating a lot of finger foods or fast food. Which was pretty much every day. Now I am eating mainly veggies, fruit, rice, beans. I notice it doesn't happen as much.

Archived