This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Family

Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I haven't been diagnosted just yet, but I have suggested to my mom that she and one of my little sisters get tested.

I have 3 sisters and the one that I am suggesting that she have tested has migraines to the point of vomiting and has recently been experiencing bloating after eating bread. Which is just crazy considering the fact that she is a fan of bread.

My mother is willing to have my sister tested but said not to worry about her. She has managed this long. My mother was told she had IBS about 8 years ago.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jetamio Apprentice

Mnicole - convincing family is tough. I've been trying to get my mom to get tested. She was diagnosed with IBS over 20 years ago, has MS and Fibromyalgia...tons and tons of symptoms but she hasn't agreed yet. Every time we talk I share the positive changes I'm finding and every so often I suggest she think about it. She's stubborn but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree so I'll keep trying! Focus on the positive with your mom. Maybe you can convince her.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Oh my.. why do people accept all those other diagnosis like IBS, Fibro etc etc but not celiac/gluten intolerance? Such a mystery. There is a PHD thesis in this. Why are other diagnosis acceptable but another not? Pure psychology and perhaps some history, agricultural/economic PR.. I'm not sure exactly.

• 2 weeks later...
KMMO320 Contributor

Oh my.. why do people accept all those other diagnosis like IBS, Fibro etc etc but not celiac/gluten intolerance? Such a mystery. There is a PHD thesis in this. Why are other diagnosis acceptable but another not? Pure psychology and perhaps some history, agricultural/economic PR.. I'm not sure exactly.

I know for me, I am having a hard time coming to grips with it all. I accepted the IBS diagnosis without blinking because all I had was stomach issues. There were some days it was so bad that I felt like I used an entire package of tp and spent my day in the bathroom, and other times where I would go a week or more without any problem at all, some days I would have the OPPOSITE problem: Constipation.

But that was all. so I could accept it. I learned to deal with my tricky stomach and stopped being shy about public bathrooms. Its just the way life was. I barely even gave it much thought because no one told me to restrict my diet. I had my gall bladder removed, so I did watch the heavy, greasy stuff but otherwise the dr basically shrugged his shoulders and wiped his hands clean of me. And I trusted him.

Now, its more than GI stuff, its headaches, sinus infections, cramps, joint aches, chills, fever and irritibility. But still, I am having a hard time accepting celiac disease as a diagnosis only because its become so widespread in the last few years, I am afraid of accepting it in case its just the "new and cool" diagnosis. I am being told to restrict my diet...that means a lot of change for this bread lover...

Its all pscholigical. I WILL accept it and I WILL do what I need to but its so severe to me, its hard to just...come to grips with. I also am having a very hard time getting my parents and in laws to understand. My husband is awesome, he gets it, as do my kids, but everyone else looks at me like I am crazy and "buying in" to the newest and coolest diagnosis...

its hard.

Takala Enthusiast

Easier to pop a pill than to change eating habits.

frieze Community Regular

Easier to pop a pill than to change eating habits.

Yup, the "fix me" mind set.

melikamaui Explorer

It took me over two years to convince my mom to get tested but she finally did, and guess what? She has celiac disease. I knew it all along, and I suspect that she knew too and didn't want to test until she was really ready to cope with the diagnosis. I, myself put off testing for almost a year after my youngest was diagnosed. I knew he had gotten it from me and I wasn't ready to give up my favorite foods just yet. Plus, I was so focused on him and his health that I didn't want it to be all about me (too).

My kids and I did a family tree to see how many of our blood relatives need to be tested, and the number was a staggering 56! (My mother has 12 brothers and sisters and they all have children). Out of those 56 only me, my two children, my mom, and my brother (negative!!) have been tested. All others have refused.

I remind them constantly on Facebook and our family website. I send articles and little tidbits about yummy gluten-free foods but it doesn't work. My cousin, who is more like a sister to me, just flat out refuses to test her kids. It's infuriates me because her youngest is sick a lot with celiac disease like symptoms and I worry about them. But what more can I do? I just get frustrated and then...let it go.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

My mother just showed me her vitiligo. Crazy that she will not get tested.

Archived