This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New J.o.b

Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head Apprentice

So two weeks ago I went for a interview with Cabala's I nailed the interview they asked me to do a drug test and a back ground check. They are opening in a few months, I cant wait.

I hate my JOB I cant stand it. I work with chick fil a right now, most of the time its not so bad. There are just so many bad moments that make it almost unbearable to go to work most days. Like today, I injured my knee a few weeks ago, and Im been having issues staying on my feet for longer than 3 hours, with out a brake. Today I went in at 11 and didn't have a second to get a drink let alone take a brake until they finally let me go at 6. I was supposed to get off at 5.

I am thinking that working at cabalas wont me a great improvement, but I think that not having to push myself so hard everyday to run as fast as someone 1/2 my size and some 1/2 my age, then have to stand there and take orders from someone I helped train that knows have of what I do. Kinda gets under my skin.

I know I'm kinda ranting but I've just had a bad day altogether and to top it off I got my monthly visitor today. I was not in the mood for bs and that exactly what I got.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Cabala's is the sporting good store right? That seems like it would be an interesting place to work.

Fast food is high stress work for sure. Those darn hungry people pouring in the door all day and they always want to eat. And want it fast too.

Well, hopefully Cabala's will work out.

Jestgar Rising Star

Are you in the US? I think that's illegal.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I couldn't work in a fast food place. I get irritated if I get questions, complaints, or distractions when cooking supper for the family. I can't imagine doing that for hours at a time!

I hope the Cabela's job works out.

My son worked at McDonald's and he says he never wants to work in fast food again. He also went without breaks and had to work extra hours. It seems to be the norm?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Congratulations to you for nailing the interview! I hope you really enjoy your new job. From what I have observed, Cabela's should be a much more pleasant place to work. I hope you love it.

Fast food is a little different than most places. They only have to give you a break if you work longer than 7:59 anything less than that they are not required to give us a break if I understand it right..

I dont mind all of that but I cant stand the operator or a couple of the managers. Even if the fact that they are following the law on the breaks they are breaking the law on a few other things. I know that at least one member of management that was clocked out while working without her permission. I was informed that if I didn't make sure every cup that goes out the window was clean that I would have a cup busted on me to help me remember to clean up the cups, by having to work the rest of my shift on soaked clothes

Di2011 Enthusiast

Oh my.. even if the new job doesn't come about you really need to get out of there. Get a job anywhere until you can get a job that suits you.

In Australia working one minute less than 8 hours without a break is absolutely unheard of. In a supermarket you might work 8.30 - 5 with a 10 minute break and an hour lunch. Childcare with 9-5.30 might be 2 x 30 minute breaks. There are still dodgy operators here with other issues, like elsewhere, but breaks are definitely something I've never heard anyone say is a problem (I'm 39y/o).

Okay.. now I've thought about it we here are in a very different economic situation. Our economy, employment etc has been one of the strongest in the global economy. However.. no one should work 8 hours straight without a dring/meal. That is third world, human rights stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GREAT NEWS!!!! I got a second interview with Blockbuster Video, on Monday. I am so excited!

kareng Grand Master

GREAT NEWS!!!! I got a second interview with Blockbuster Video, on Monday. I am so excited!

That's great!

I don't know how to say this nicely but. Blockbuster was a failing company that closed its store here. Just be careful. Maybe a little research?

Im thinking that it would be nice to work both Blockbuster and cabela's I just want out and will do what ever I have to get out..

kareng Grand Master

Im thinking that it would be nice to work both Blockbuster and cabela's I just want out and will do what ever I have to get out..

Good thinking! I didn't want you to give up a chance at a company that seems to be growing ( Cabelas) with a company with problems. I wish we still had Blockbusters here. I hate those stupid boxes at the grocery to get videos.

Im not going to stay completely with blockbuster, because they are only offering me around 32-40 hours as a manager.

Cabela's is offering supposed to be offering me a job in their Front team, The people that go around fixing displays and setting them up. Could be full time but you never know so I would rather have another job that is willing to work with me with the schedule so that I can have both jobs, if I need both.

Takala Enthusiast

Oh my.. even if the new job doesn't come about you really need to get out of there. Get a job anywhere until you can get a job that suits you.

In Australia working one minute less than 8 hours without a break is absolutely unheard of. In a supermarket you might work 8.30 - 5 with a 10 minute break and an hour lunch. Childcare with 9-5.30 might be 2 x 30 minute breaks. There are still dodgy operators here with other issues, like elsewhere, but breaks are definitely something I've never heard anyone say is a problem (I'm 39y/o).

Okay.. now I've thought about it we here are in a very different economic situation. Our economy, employment etc has been one of the strongest in the global economy. However.. no one should work 8 hours straight without a dring/meal. That is third world, human rights stuff.

They really know how to exploit the "exemptions" rules here in American Exceptionalism Land.

I've worked the '7 hours on my feet doing hard physical labor with a ten minute break' routine, and was told I was lucky to get that, because they didn't have to provide it.

Also worked (for a short time, they never kept employees) at an agricultural job in a "right to work" state, which is the OPPOSITE of what it sounds like, if you are reading about this in the United States. It should be called a "right to fire at will" state. Because that is what it is, they can fire you at will for no reason, any time. Because it was ag - related, they could legally not give breaks, and only provided a half hour lunch, so by the time you washed up and took a bathroom break, you had about 20 minutes to eat. The owners were able to do this fire at will routine, because they had an attorney offspring for legal backup. The owner was nuts, when I told him to stop screaming at people who needed to use the restroom, he actually threatened me and had his equally nasty wife come and watch what I was doing the entire rest of the day, trying to pick my brain for personal information (which I was able to deflect, easily). This is pretty typical for the "other half" of America they never want to admit exists. There is always a large pool of people needing work, but it is really bad in the middle of the country extending down to the south, in rural areas.

This isn't economics so much as labor unions, which set the standards for what is considered desirable work, keeps giving to one political party or another, depending on what sort of work it is, then the party in power will stick it to them, anyway. I don't know that this country has ever had what could be considered a "good" economy in my lifetime. The outsourcing of manufacturing doesn't help. We are supposedly a very wealthy country, but there is more and more stratification of the classes into those making minimum wage, which does not any longer provide an adult a living for basic needs in many areas, can't afford food/shelter/transportation/clothes/taxes/fees, and those jobs have no health insurance benefits, and those lucky people who are working class or pink collar, with benefits, and somehow getting by. Now the professional classes got slammed in this last recession blow out.

Under past administrations in the eighties, union - busting was a priority, then in the late nineties, they changed rules to make more classes of work considered management, not rank and file, so managers are put on "salary" and can be worked forever with no overtime. We again have a lot of state and even city governments (with the cooperation of the current Federal level one, which is only good at lip service) trying to actively destroy unions (some unions, they consider the law enforcement ones nearly untouchable) and cut wages further, and get rid of benefits. It is pretty ugly with the constant attacks.

My spouse sometimes gets up at 4 am or 5 am to work until noon without a set, "given" break time, but he's management and he does this flexible- time routine. He is one of the hardest working people I have met, as he really concentrates on what he is doing, and is highly motivated to make sure he completes tasks, and to figure out how other people can complete theirs. You get into a nicer company and you are allowed to each lunch.... at his old job, he just gave up a lot of times, and would eat at his desk and work right thru, so he could come home in time to eat dinner and SLEEP. We compared his hours then, to what was expected 30 years ago, and it was crazy how much more time they expect you to put in now. If you are competent, they will always expect you to take on at least one other person's tasks, sometimes many more.

123glldd Collaborator

This is awesome. I second everyone else..get out of the fast food for sure. Working that long without a break is WRONG. SO so wrong.

So I officially put my two weeks notice in Saturday. I did my paperwork for Blockbuster today. I got the day off and I have been so productive today. I feel so much better. I love love love my new manager. She is wonderful. 6 months prego and is glowing! I cant wait to get started in my new job where I will be Marketing/ Assistant manager!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

So I officially put my two weeks notice in Saturday. I did my paperwork for Blockbuster today. I got the day off and I have been so productive today. I feel so much better. I love love love my new manager. She is wonderful. 6 months prego and is glowing! I cant wait to get started in my new job where I will be Marketing/ Assistant manager!

YAy!!! Way to go, you!

Great news again. I got the call from Cabala's and I start June 29th! Yay! Now its time to get things organised working two jobs wont be easy but atleast I will be away from the old job!

kareng Grand Master

Great news again. I got the call from Cabala's and I start June 29th! Yay! Now its time to get things organised working two jobs wont be easy but atleast I will be away from the old job!

That's great!

Archived