This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free A Little Over A Week And I Will Never Go Back

Kallismom

Kallismom Newbie

Well after only 8 days without gluten, I can honestly say that I will NEVER eat it again.

For the past 15 years or so my knees have throbbed and felt very warm to the touch (I'm only 34 btw), after about the 5th day without gluten the knee pain was all but gone. I always attributed my knee pain to being overweight I have been well over 200 lb. since around age 20.

I also thought that I had a bad shoulder. It was inflamed so bad that I couldn't really use it much last year. I finally went to get a cortisone shot in December of last year. It helped some, but I still had to prop it up at night and if I accidentally slept with my arm over my head, I could barely move it the next day. For the past 2 days I have woke up on my back with my arm over my head and it didn't even hurt, just felt a little weak.

My appetite which for years has been insatiable, is now normal for the first time ever I think. I have already lost 5 pounds. I must admit that this was an unexpected, but very nice side effect.

The strangest thing though is what I called my "swishy ear". For the past 4 years I have had a feeling of pressure in my right ear. That same ear also made a swishing noise whenever I kept my head straight or when I turn to my right. I went to the ENT when I first started having it years ago. They did all sorts of test including a cat scan. The only thing the told me was that I had a tiny cyst in one of my sinuses. They also said that I had eustachian tube dysfunction. They suggested that I have an allergy test done, but when they told me that it would cost over $1,000 without insurance I decided that I could live with it. I didn't think I really had an allergy. Well it turns out that I don't have eustachian tube dysfunction because my "swishy ear" is GONE! I actually have fluid draining from my ear!

I can't believe how sick I really was and I always just accepted things. It wasn't until I ate bread on an empty stomach and had horrible pain that I ever put two and two together. I just thought that I was in horrible shape and that was why I always felt SOOO bad. I did wonder from time to time how people twice my size (that were my age) seemed to have no problems with their knees.

Oh I also forgot to mention that I have also had TMJD for a couple of years. I usually have to take ibuprofen every three days or so for the horrible headaches that I got from eating a piece of meat or something, I always just dealt with my aching legs. This past week, I have only had to take 2 ibuprofens.

I still can't quite believe the progress I have made in only one week. It is so sad that I never really investigated any of my ailments. I just figured it was the way things were for me. I am so THRILLED that it doesn't have to be.

My family has decided to go gluten free at home with me. I think we will all benefit from our knew eating style. My oldest child has bad headaches which we always attributed to allergies and they are starting to lessen. I cleaned out my entire kitchen yesterday and made it safe for the most part. I haven't touched my baking pans yet though. They are in a separate cabinet and I don't even know if I want to keep them.

I can't fathom how good I will feel in a year. I am excited!

One more weird thing. The night before last, I used a new mouthwash (Crest Pro Rinse) and I got a BAD stomach ache? It hurt until I ate yesterday. I bought some plain Listerine and will stick with that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Welcome to gluten-free! Sounds like the diet is helping you quite a bit. Do check out the newbie FAQ sticky thread for info. It should be at the top of the forums.

I think most people have a kind of forwards and backwards experience as they learn the ropes of the gluten-free diet. But it should settle down after a while.

Congrats on finding your kryptonite! :)

squirmingitch Veteran

Odd. I called Listerine & they were kind of wishy washy on the subject of being gluten-free. But Crest claims their mouthwashes ARE gluten-free. So we switched to Crest Pro Health but we got the alcohol free & are very happy with it. Maybe it was one of the flavorings in it or something which upset your tummy?

My hubs especially likes the alcohol free as it does not burn his mouth. We always thought it was the mint flavor burning his mouth --- nope -- it was the alcohol.

tom Contributor

I can't believe how sick I really was and I always just accepted things. ...

I still can't quite believe the progress I have made in only one week. It is so sad that I never really investigated any of my ailments. I just figured it was the way things were for me.

So happy for you! It just never ceases to amaze me the variety of ailments that ppl see get better or go away just from going gluten-free.

And still there are posts here all the time about someone's Dr dismissing celiac (or even lying about having done the tests?) if the patient isn't 100% classic GI symptoms.

Your "I just figured it was the way things were for me" comment is SUCH a familiar thought & I'm sure many here can relate. It can be so liberating to prove it false.

Good luck going fwd Kallismom, & know there'll probably be ups & downs - can't get too discouraged if it's not a surprise. Congrats on your new gluten-free life! :D

squirmingitch Veteran

And I meant to say that your story is an inspiration! I have not improved as rapidly as you have but I have improved. You give me more hope. You hit the mark with the shoulder pain as I have the same condition. And I can't sleep on my side b/c it kills which ever shoulder I slept on. Oh I long for the day I can "roll over in bed" --- such a simple move I at one time took for granted.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Yes, it's amazing what happens. Stuff you thought was normal.

Listened to my 10 year old song the song about how he was sure his D was "normal" or just a bug. It would have given me a heart attack a few months ago, but I can deal now.

That's the other thing it changes - your brain. A lot rolls off my back now, and I can deal with stress better now.

I had a gluten-brain!!

Archived