This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Mail-Order Gluten Free Foods?

beachbirdie

beachbirdie Contributor

I am trying to manage the diet of my 85-year old mom from 600 miles away. She is not able to do her own shopping or food preparation, she has care in her home around the clock.

I started her on a gluten-free diet in early April because she has so many symptoms that could point to celiac, as well as a related blood cancer (or two, hematologist can't yet say definitively). It wasn't so hard during the month my daughter was caring for her, but it's gotten to be a challenge now. Like my brother taking her to Chinese food and the clueless caregiver who went out and bought Boston Market for her. Ugh.

Anyway, not all the caregivers can be entrusted with the shopping, so I found a major grocery chain that delivers (YAY!) and I do a lot of shopping for her there. This time when I ordered groceries, a lot of what I bought last time is no longer carried by the store; the gluten-free offerings were heavily diminished :( .

Mom loves her breads, and also utilizes quite a few frozen meals during a week.

Is there anyone out there who has successfully ordered frozen foods online? I'm not so worried about the breads, I've seen lots of places to order those, but it's the meals (like "gluten-free cafe") I don't know about.

Thanks so much for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

What a caring daughter you are! It must be difficult to be so far away from your Mom and have to rely on others to care for her.

The only Gluten-Free Cafe item I've eaten was a veggie-noodle soup, which I bought at Wal-Mart. Not bad for something in a can (I guess I just like homemade soup so much better). It's made by Open Original Shared Link

beachbirdie Contributor

What a caring daughter you are! It must be difficult to be so far away from your Mom and have to rely on others to care for her.

The only Gluten-Free Cafe item I've eaten was a veggie-noodle soup, which I bought at Wal-Mart. Not bad for something in a can (I guess I just like homemade soup so much better). It's made by Open Original Shared Link

Thanks, Sylvia!

Processed stuff is not my first choice, but it's the best I can do for now and the gluten free cafe stuff passed her taste testing.

I wish I could get her to move here with me but so far she is really resisting, though most of her friends have passed on now and there isn't much family left in her area.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

What about a personal chef that can do gluten-free? It can be expensive, but no more do than the average cost if eating out at a restaurant.

When I go back to work I'm going to have to get help with food - I'm going to try a personal chef I found who will do gluten-free.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Amazon is great for the dry goods.

I would suggest putting together a list of things can be bought locally and trying to either find a volunteer, a senior services organization or even a personal shopper to do the shopping.

I know here in Denver, the local Kroger-affiliated supermarket does deliver. Perhaps there's another local chain where your mom is.

Good luck!

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks, Sylvia!

Processed stuff is not my first choice, but it's the best I can do for now and the gluten free cafe stuff passed her taste testing.

I wish I could get her to move here with me but so far she is really resisting, though most of her friends have passed on now and there isn't much family left in her area.

It is sad that she couldn't be closer to you. I didn't mean to imply the soup I had wasn't good...it's just that I am capable and prefer homemade.

You've gotten some good suggestions and hope they help you. I like the idea of finding someone to shop for her...maybe even a volunteer. Have you checked with her local Area Agency on the Aging? Maybe they could give you some guidance.

squirmingitch Veteran

Or how about seeing if there is a celiac support group near her? I would just bet someone from the group would be willing to shop for her.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Or how about seeing if there is a celiac support group near her? I would just bet someone from the group would be willing to shop for her.

Even better idea!

beachbirdie Contributor

What about a personal chef that can do gluten-free? It can be expensive, but no more do than the average cost if eating out at a restaurant.

Amazon is great for the dry goods.

I would suggest putting together a list of things can be bought locally and trying to either find a volunteer, a senior services organization or even a personal shopper to do the shopping.

I know here in Denver, the local Kroger-affiliated supermarket does deliver. Perhaps there's another local chain where your mom is.

Good luck!

It is sad that she couldn't be closer to you. I didn't mean to imply the soup I had wasn't good...it's just that I am capable and prefer homemade.

You've gotten some good suggestions and hope they help you. I like the idea of finding someone to shop for her...maybe even a volunteer. Have you checked with her local Area Agency on the Aging? Maybe they could give you some guidance.

Even better idea!

I don't know how to thank you all! You have given me awesome ideas and I will start making calls on Monday. Sadly, I've found only one store that delivers, and the second time I ordered from them they didn't have most of the stuff I was able to get the first time. A chef and shopper would solve that for sure.

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't know how to thank you all! You have given me awesome ideas and I will start making calls on Monday. Sadly, I've found only one store that delivers, and the second time I ordered from them they didn't have most of the stuff I was able to get the first time. A chef and shopper would solve that for sure.

Glad we were able to give you a few ideas to further explore. If you feel comfortable posting where she lives, someone might come up with some good ideas, too.

beachbirdie Contributor

Glad we were able to give you a few ideas to further explore. If you feel comfortable posting where she lives, someone might come up with some good ideas, too.

Thanks again! My mom lives in the San Francisco Bay Area (California) near Cupertino.

Thanks again! My mom lives in the San Francisco Bay Area (California) near Cupertino.

Oh wow, you're going to have a very easy time finding a gluten-free personal chef. Also, there will be lots of organizations around there for volunteers, I'd think.

PS, I used to live right there!!!

beachbirdie Contributor

Oh wow, you're going to have a very easy time finding a gluten-free personal chef. Also, there will be lots of organizations around there for volunteers, I'd think.

PS, I used to live right there!!!

LOL, thanks for the confidence!

Funny that you used to live there! What a small world we live in! It's where I grew up, and I miss a lot of things about it, but it got so crowded after the 60s...

I remember when they used to dry all the prunes and apricots out in fields by the side of the road. Now those fields are full of IBM, Oracle, Apple, and all those other hi-tech businesses {sigh}. :(

LOL, thanks for the confidence!

Funny that you used to live there! What a small world we live in! It's where I grew up, and I miss a lot of things about it, but it got so crowded after the 60s...

I remember when they used to dry all the prunes and apricots out in fields by the side of the road. Now those fields are full of IBM, Oracle, Apple, and all those other hi-tech businesses {sigh}. :(

Yep. I haven't been there in 10 years but heard its worse than ever - and I really don't see how they could have crammed more stuff in there...except in the marshy areas along the 101 - but evidently they did. Hubs goes back and describes some of the changes. Makes me shiver. I can't deal with that many people in one space. I worked in the City for a while - rode the train in. I hated it.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Online is probably your best bet. There is a service around here called taskrabbit and they'll do just about anything for a fee (including grocery shopping).

Ginsou Explorer

I agree with Sylvia about the Health Valley soup....it's just OK for me...it will do in a pinch.Progresso makes 1 gluten free soup, but it is very hard to find....Progresso Vegetable Classics Garden Vegetable is gluten-free. I purchase it at my local Safeway only when it is on sale. This gluten-free soup is not the same as Progresso's Vegetable Classic Vegetable soup which contains wheat....it's very easy to purchase the wrong one, as I have done previously.

I also prefer my own homemade soup and worry about who will cook for me when I am no longer able to care for myself.....I have many food allergies and won't be able to participate in meals on wheels or Senior Center meals that are offered in most communities. I swear if I ever win the lottery, I would consider opening a special diet kitchen facility in my community!

Dr. Schar table crackers or Glutino crackers along with the soup on a cold day makes me feel so normal!

Ginsou Explorer

This time when I ordered groceries, a lot of what I bought last time is no longer carried by the store; the gluten-free offerings were heavily diminished :( .

The "offerings" most likely were diminished because you purchased them!!! Ask the manager/customer service if the items you previously purchased can be special ordered.

sa1937 Community Regular

I agree with Sylvia about the Health Valley soup....it's just OK for me...it will do in a pinch.Progresso makes 1 gluten free soup, but it is very hard to find....Progresso Vegetable Classics Garden Vegetable is gluten-free. I purchase it at my local Safeway only when it is on sale. This gluten-free soup is not the same as Progresso's Vegetable Classic Vegetable soup which contains wheat....it's very easy to purchase the wrong one, as I have done previously.

I also prefer my own homemade soup and worry about who will cook for me when I am no longer able to care for myself.....I have many food allergies and won't be able to participate in meals on wheels or Senior Center meals that are offered in most communities. I swear if I ever win the lottery, I would consider opening a special diet kitchen facility in my community!

Dr. Schar table crackers or Glutino crackers along with the soup on a cold day makes me feel so normal!

Actually there are several Progresso soups that are gluten-free and they are marked gluten-free on the back of the can. The Vegetable Classics line also has a mushroom soup that's gluten-free. I know there are others...it's just that I don't buy much canned soup. In the Traditional line I just happen to have a can of Chicken Rice with Vegetables. Since their soups are all displayed together, we've gotta spend some time reading labels. tongue.gif And not all stores carry their complete line of soups.

I hear you, Ginsou, on no meals on wheels or senior citizen's center meals. I'm in the same boat. And I don't think a nursing home could routinely keep us safe either.

Ginsou Explorer

Actually there are several Progresso soups that are gluten-free and they are marked gluten-free on the back of the can. The Vegetable Classics line also has a mushroom soup that's gluten-free. I know there are others...it's just that I don't buy much canned soup. In the Traditional line I just happen to have a can of Chicken Rice with Vegetables. Since their soups are all displayed together, we've gotta spend some time reading labels. tongue.gif And not all stores carry their complete line of soups.

I hear you, Ginsou, on no meals on wheels or senior citizen's center meals. I'm in the same boat. And I don't think a nursing home could routinely keep us safe either.

I'm also lactose intolerant, allergic to milk and casein, and allergic to soy, nuts,and a few other things, so that greatly limits my diet...I should have mentioned that in my "soup" post. I exist on filet mignon,pork roasts,ribs,wings, salmon, lobster,veggies,fruit, etc.....oh, poor me :) I've never seen the inside of any of the restaurants where I live with the exception of a Thai restaurant where I order spring rolls and brown rice, and bring my own soyless soy sauce.

sa1937 Community Regular

I exist on filet mignon,pork roasts,ribs,wings, salmon, lobster,veggies,fruit, etc.....oh, poor me :)

Uh huh! Very little sympathy from most of us! laugh.gif

But it would suck to have so many intolerances. When I was in Wally World today, I glanced at several cans of Progresso soup that are gluten-free. Soy is a bummer though. They used to have a list of gluten-free products but I haven't looked for it lately and I know Gluten Freely has changed their website since I did look.

Archived