LauraB0927

Could Gas-Like Chest Pains Be Related To Celiac?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac several weeks ago after a routine bloodwork was performed before a scheduled colonoscopy. I never had terrible GI symptoms but delt with some stomach cramps, pain, and constipation but all attributed it to eating something that didnt sit well with me. After being diagnosed I began reading all the other possible co-occurring symptoms that often are found with Celiac. Suddenly all my other weird medical issues seemed to make sense - long standing issues with anemia, Raynaud's, mild vertigo, acid reflux, etc.

Prior to being gluten free, I also sometimes got burning, crushing pains in my chest and upper back that make it feel like I was about to explode. I would get hot and cold sweats and need to pace around to get any kind of relief. Last year during one of these episodes (which lasted 2 days), I went to the hospital because I was convinced that I was having a heart attack (not typical for a then 27 year old). The EKG came back normal and the doctors gave me Ativan (because I was so worked up) and Prevacid and sent me on my way. I attributed it to terrible gas pains but never could figure out what triggered it since it was always so random. Could these pains also be related to Celiac? Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any advice or comments would be appreciated..... :)

I think acid reflux can cause the type of pain you described, hence the Prevacid.

I had similar pain when my gallbladder was going bad. Had horrible chest pains went to the er and they worked me up for heart issues at 27 as well. It was a miserable pain in the right side along with in the back around the shoulder pain. The only relief was morphine shots. Could be a possibility.

I suffer from esophageal spasms whenever I inadvertently ingest gluten, and your symptoms sound similar. I'm able to get them to subside by slowly sipping a cool glass of liquid (wine works best, since it also relaxes the muscles).

I have acid reflux and take Prilosec , but the gas you talk about kind of like floats up my chest and sometimes goes in my shoulder so yes I think it may be related ....