This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

When Glutened To You Feel Terrible Instantly?

Silencio

Silencio Enthusiast

I have been gluten free for 5 months now, im one of those that dosent feel any different after being glutened. This past week after eating a few burgers with gluten free bun of course I felt like I was going to throw up. I started dry heaving but couldnt throw up. About a week later I made some breakfast sausages and after one sausage it hit me right away. Again dry heaving but not throwing up. It lasts for about 5 minutes then I feel totally fine. Does this sound normal or could it have nothing to do with celiac disease at all?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Well, it certainly doesn't sound normal to me nor have I ever experienced it in the two years I've been gluten-free.

Did you prepare these and eat them at home or at a restaurant? I'm thinking the possibility of CC.

How do you normally handle fats? Do you think too much fat is a problem for you (thinking gall bladder problem perhaps???)

Silencio Enthusiast

Yes I did prepare and eat them at home. It could be CC since I am the only one that sticks to the gluten-free diet in my home. We do share the same pans and dishes. I was never really worried about it before since being glutened didnt effect me at all. I am always carefull to wash pans really good though.

I handle fats just fine. I could eat anything at all with no problem whatsoever.

cahill Collaborator

No I dont,not from gluten. Actually, once I got a head rush ( like a high) when I bit into a Twizzlers . I did not realize until to late that the first (or second I dont remember) ingredient is wheat flour .But I do not feel ill instantly. For me , with gluten, it takes about 28 hours before I feel the effects .

But if I ingest soy or corn I react instantly. You may want to look at other ingredients to evaluate if you possibly have another food intolerance .

Silencio Enthusiast

No I dont,not from gluten. Actually, once I got a head rush ( like a high) when I bit into a Twizzlers . I did not realize until to late that the first (or second I dont remember) ingredient is wheat flour .But I do not feel ill instantly. For me , with gluten, it takes about 28 hours before I feel the effects .

But if I ingest soy or corn I react instantly. You may want to look at other ingredients to evaluate if you possibly have another food intolerance .

I will look into that. Thanks for your reply. Also I miss Twizzlers so much. I used to eat them all the time!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Compare the ingredients in both and see what is in common. Anything stand out?

The most obvious culprit is gluten, since you are the lone gluten-free in your house and you haven't been symptomatic.

A gluten reaction doesn't have to be from what you are eating at the moment. I will get stabbing stomach pain for days after a glutening - when I know what I'm currently eating is fine. For me, some foods just irritate my stomach more after a glutening, whereas if I ate them any other time it would be fine.

Being symptomatic ain't what it's cracked up to be, I've found. Btw, gluten symptoms hit me at approximately 6 months gluten-free. I started with a bowling ball in my stomach and it progressed to headache/bowling ball/body aches to stabbing stomach pain and severe muscle cramps. So your thrills may just be starting. Good luck.

Silencio Enthusiast

Compare the ingredients in both and see what is in common. Anything stand out?

The most obvious culprit is gluten, since you are the lone gluten-free in your house and you haven't been symptomatic.

A gluten reaction doesn't have to be from what you are eating at the moment. I will get stabbing stomach pain for days after a glutening - when I know what I'm currently eating is fine. For me, some foods just irritate my stomach more after a glutening, whereas if I ate them any other time it would be fine.

Being symptomatic ain't what it's cracked up to be, I've found. Btw, gluten symptoms hit me at approximately 6 months gluten-free. I started with a bowling ball in my stomach and it progressed to headache/bowling ball/body aches to stabbing stomach pain and severe muscle cramps. So your thrills may just be starting. Good luck.

I actually bought a box of frozen burgers. I am just going to buy ground beef and freeze burgers for now on. I will be sure to compare the ingredients if someone in the house happens to buy them again just to try to find out what it is.

I figured I would have symptoms sooner or later. I read once you rid your body of gluten, once you take in a little bit you will start to feel it. I still dont know alot about all that since I never had to worry about it before. Looks like I will have to educate myself a little more. (haha I spelled educate wrong, thank you spell check..)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mateto Enthusiast

I know about a day or so. Well, it's like this. If I'm glutened at lunch time today, I'll feel it first thing when I wake up tomorrow morning. If I was glutened today at breakfast, I'd know first thing tomorrow morning.

If I was glutened today, sometimes whether I sleep or not will be a sign. Sometimes I feel like I've slept, but wake up tired. I can't think of the name right now...because guess what happens when I'm glutened? Brain fog. Guess what happened yesterday? :P

Did I sleep last night? Yes. But when I woke up, what did I feel like? A dump truck.

I suppose it's different for everyone, but for me it's usually a day or the morning after.

color-me-confused Explorer

I suppose it's different for everyone, but for me it's usually a day or the morning after.

For me it's about 1/2 hour to an hour for the stabbing pain in the duodenum to start. Then it's all downhill from there...

Ashlynn6 Rookie

For me it's about 20mins, usually just wrapping up at the table and I start to feel it. Ive learned to eat slower now, so if I start to feel symptoms I can stop before I get a full meal of cc in me. It usually last around 3 days.

Silencio Enthusiast

For me it's about 20mins, usually just wrapping up at the table and I start to feel it. Ive learned to eat slower now, so if I start to feel symptoms I can stop before I get a full meal of cc in me. It usually last around 3 days.

Thats actually a good idea, I never even thought of eating slower haha im such a noob at this.

KMMO320 Contributor

I am not gluten-free yet so I really have no idea if the reason I feel lousy each day is because of what I ate before, or what, but I notice I get very ill within 45 mins of eating and it slowly gets better hours later, leaving.me with a constant.hungover feeling. I have stomach issues, but my biggest symptoms are all sinus like. Itchy eyes, runny.nose, migraine, dizzy, short.of breath, sore throat, ear ache, jaw ache, etc.

lovegrov Collaborator

For me it's three hours. I start getting sort of a panicked feeling and then the nausea. However, I don;t think that either your gluten-free bun or the sausage is your culprit -- at least not as far as gluten is concerned.

richard

Archived