Mnicole1981

Sharing A Kitchen Is Tough

Rate this topic

I was doing so well up until last night. I may not have been as vigilant in wiping up prior to cooking my dinner last night. Within an hour of eating, I had indigestion. My sister had cooked pancakes for breakfast and I am wondering if that may have done it. I had tilapia and butternut squass Which I had been eating with no problems.

When I wipe down before I cook, I use Clorox wipes. My sister uses a dish towel.

Could this have been the problem?

Gluten is not alive so using a Clorox wipe versus a towel wouldn't change the cleaning in the sense of killing bacteria/viruses. However, if the towel may not have picked up all the gluten depending on how well your sister cleaned. It may be that because you are the one with the Celiac, you are more careful about cleaning than she is to make sure you get all the gluten off. My suggestion would be for you to clean the counter tops off each time before you cook to make sure there isn't any gluten hanging around.

Yes, soap and hot water.

And as environmentally unfriendly as it is, in a shared kitchen disposable paper towels are quite handy.

Stick scrubbies in the dishwasher daily. Change out dish rags daily.

Threaten her life re: cc and crumbs.

Hi there. I also share a kitchen with my husband who is not a gluten free eater and was always the cook in the house. He is a homemade biscuits and gravy kind of guy. Since he always cooked, I always cleaned up. Now, since I am gluten free, I still do all the clean up for both of us. The fact is, I know he doesn't clean like I think it should be done. I use a roll of paper towels quite quickly, I don't use cloth anything in the kitchen for fear of just spreading it around. I do have cloth hot pads but we use separate ones in separate drawers. Use separate containers like butter dishes and even sugar canisters as flour and sugar are many times used together in preparation of baked goods. Keep condiment jars, spice jars and the like wiped down and I also use storage bags in the pantry for various flours, baking mixes etc to keep them from getting all over the other pantry items. Don't expect others to have the same standards as you. It's your health at stake, not theirs. Hope the helps some. Good luck. Be well.