Mateto

Do You Keep You Child Home After Being Glutened?

Rate this topic

Well, the question is in the title.

Parents: do you keep your child home from school after they've been glutened the day before or on that day? Or do you send a note with the wee one to school to say to their teacher to be on the look-out?

Well, the question is in the title.

Parents: do you keep your child home from school after they've been glutened the day before or on that day? Or do you send a note with the wee one to school to say to their teacher to be on the look-out?

My guy gets the runs immediately and then constipated after, so it depends on which stage he's in and how long he may be in the bathroom. For diarrhea, yes, every time. For constipation, no if we think he will make it through the day without needing to spend an hour int he bathroom. His behavior is always poor following an exposure, so we let them know right away to be on the look out.

Mine homeschool but at church the teachers know that if he asks to go that they need to say "run"! Forget trying to get another adult or buddy, he needs to run.

We too homeschool but when he does eat, we do NOTHING until he is better. He gets VERY sick and is just not able to do anything.

At this point, I let my daughter make the call on how well she's feeling (she's 11 now). Her main symptom is nausea . . . and I don't know that it is always necessarily from Celiac Disease/CC. If she's had a large exposure (or long term exposure to small amounts) that actually sets of a long term (months) reaction of regurgitation. She actually doesn't "feel" as bad but it is inconvenient. She'll stay home when she's nauseous . . . happened maybe three or four times last school year. When she's in regurgitation mode (but not nauseous) she goes to school with the understanding she can leave the classroom at anytime and as often as necessary. This has only happened once since she was diagnosed 5 years ago.

The first day after getting glutened, one parent stays home with my oldest (who goes to school). After that, if he needs more time to recover we are fortunate enough to have grandma (also gluten free) take care of him, until he no longer has stomach pain/nausea and fever. My youngest goes to daycare and doesn't seem to be as sensitive...and our daycare provider is very accomodating. We are very fortunate, and count our blessings!