Marie1976

Hard Cider

Rate this topic

I just wanted to warn anyone who orders cider, it does not look like beer! I went to a restaurant (BJs) and ordered the gluten free cider, and the waitress asked me if I have an allergy, I said yes I have celiac disease I cannot have any gluten. She made a note of it on her pad and said they take it seriously. Great! And then she brought me a f***ing beer. I told my sister that looks like beer not cider. Cider isn't usually that color. And my sister was like well have you gotten that kind before? No. She said I'm sure they're not going to bring you a beer after making a big deal over the gluten free thing. I asked her to take a sip. She said it does taste kind of like beer.

Stupidly, I took a sip too and then spit it out. That's beer, I said. (I was a big beer drinker before getting diagnosed, I know what beer tastes like, ha ha!) I went to the bathroom to wash out my mouth and when I got back to our table, my sister said that she told the waitress it was beer and the waitress assured her that it was cider and that she even double checked before bringing it.

Well it was beer I told her when she came back to our table. Take it away please. If I drank that I would get extremely sick. She was like, should I call you an ambulance? Grrr. No. Bring me what I ordered please. She apologized, and I thought she'd at least take the drink off my check, but no. (And by the way, she did bring me the BERRY cider I ordered, which was... pink! Not in any way beer colored, so I don't know how they brought me a beer.)

Anyway. Just so you all know: Cider shouldn't look or taste like beer! Make sure you don't make that mistake! :P

Both beer and cider vary in color. There is some overlap. Cider, unlike beer, should not have a head. Cider should have an aroma of apples, while real beer should smell "hoppy." Sadly, there are some wannabe beers (Molson Canadian comes to mind) that smell of fruit rather than hops. I haven't had normal beer in over ten years, but still remember the revolting taste of Canadian when a bartender in Vancouver served it to me by mistake. I had ordered Granville Island Lager.

if I were you and had taken a sip of it mistakenly I might have walked out the door telling them I felt sick and goodbye.

I've had lots of cider in my day though, can definitely tell the difference from beer, which I never liked even before celiac . . . like the guy above me said, it shouldn't have any foam to it at all. and usually it's more orange.