This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Your Dh Do This?

RashyA

RashyA Apprentice

Okay so my dh is really bad on my chest. Finally my face and elbow have cleared up :)

But I was wondering if this is normal. When my dh flares up they get white pus and clear fluid. When they dry which takes forever btw! They leave a really dark circle but Incan squeeze them and it's almost like a clear blackhead comes out? I know this is disgusting but I just gotta know :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Doesn't sound like mine (when I had it).

richard

squirmingitch Veteran

Nor mine.

SPJandE Newbie

Doesn't sound anything like my son's either.

RashyA Apprentice

Doesn't sound anything like my son's either.

Okay so maybe it could be acne amongst my dh. The only thing is they appear when I get glutened along with the my face and elbows and itch like crazy :(

TriciaW Newbie

My son's DH does not have any white discharge, only clear fluid (like a blister), then scabs, then purplish scar after. However, I am gluten sensitive, and once I figured it out and went gluten-free, my acne cleared up entirely! Amazing. So, maybe you are right, maybe gluten is causing not only the DH rash, but also acne breakouts.

Okay so my dh is really bad on my chest. Finally my face and elbow have cleared up :)

But I was wondering if this is normal. When my dh flares up they get white pus and clear fluid. When they dry which takes forever btw! They leave a really dark circle but Incan squeeze them and it's almost like a clear blackhead comes out? I know this is disgusting but I just gotta know :unsure:

razzle51 Apprentice

yep just clear liquid

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hi RashyA,

I broke out in head to toe Dh after nine months working in a bakery.

1 year gluten free and my DH is now what is probably considered 'widespread but healing' and "normal presentation". 12 months ago it was literally head to toe. The only place it hasn't been is the soles of my feet (touch wood). And I've seen it on me in every way that posters have described on this forum. There is no normal. This is where medical "symptoms" cause DH sufferers such a problem. There is no normal.

I am 39 and was always itchy scratchy. Ingrown hairs on the legs, itchy face, rosacea, adult acne (mild and infrequent but always in exactly the same spots), back of arm bumps, itchy back etc etc.

I always avoid glutens (in hindsight). Avoided breakfast, didn't like pasta/pizza, avoided sandwiches/pie/cake/biscuits etc etc etc.

At the worst, a year ago, my DH (in hindsight - it was so bad I barely slept for months so memory hazy) was just a skin maze of lesions. Everywhere just itched like crazy. Even seemingly lesion clear areas itched/burned.

Since then, over the past months, it has evolved to resembled all those manifestations described here on this forum and that I've seen on the derm/medical sites I've spent hundreds of hours scanning. Small tiny bumps that are like a mini white or black head. Small pimple like bumps. Small black head like bumps. Medium like bumps that can be white/black head like or fluid (clear to amber colour) filled. Medium size ones the same as the previous. The larger ones that can be similar to the others mentioned but just a bit bigger. Ones of various size that (especially in my more recent healing) that just seem to appear, sort of dry out and once itched over go away.

No normal.

My hands/feet tend to be a bit different to the rest. They tend to be more clustered. Lots of linear or circular (several very nearby that appear in a linear or something like circular pattern). These have been most problematic is some ways. The linear in particular seem to appear along my "life lines" ie those lines (like those you see on fingerprint) and then tend to crack and split. I spent a fortune on bandaids until a few months ago. Intensely itchy but in a different way to the others. Deep and burning.

There is a 'white bit' in all of these lesions that once "out" (itched/gone) relieves most if not all of the itch. Tends to be hard, sometime seems to be dry/hard skin but actually isn't.

Infection/Pus I haven't had too many problems with despite the extent of the DH. I've had a little bit (maybe tiny bit is a better description - twice in mild form in 12 months) but I have had nothing even vaguely like infection despite the extent of my raw wounds. I think*think the immune system is so overloaded how could it possibly be too worried about a bit of dirt?! :) Not sure why but there are some things you should be aware of. I made sure (and still do) to clean my fingernails regularly ((ie at least 3-4 times a day)) - this is really important. Regular showers etc as you'd expect. Food handling and then itching is a BIG no-no. As is itching then food handling of course :)

Hope this is "disgusting" enough to match what you thought your own to be :)

cougie23 Explorer

:blink: At this point...when the disscusion involves Celiacs....ANYTHING is possible! :lol:

Persoally...I don't have those symtoms, but the teen across the street has "wheat allergies" as well as dairy...and SHE has SEVERE acne! If she eats gluten...her acne gets REALLY bad! My son has a dairy intolerance...and if HE ingests dairy....besides stomache and intestinal problems...breaks out severely on his face and back..(he's 22).

I've heard of others having a symilar reaction....Its quite possible to have a acne-like reaction to eating gluten...especially if your body can't handle it! :o:)

Archived