This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Did I Get Glutened!?!

CanineGluten

GFinDC Veteran

I could get tested for celiac.

Eating once a day, or having a feeding window.. isn't an idea I made up.

Hi CG,

If you decide to get tested, it is important that you continue eating a regular gluten diet until the testing is completed. There is no "perfect" test for celiac disease right now, but the best chance of detecting the antibodies is before starting the gluten-free diet. Even then it is hit or miss. Ask your doctor to do the full celiac antibody panel. There are several different kinds of antibodies they test for. Some doctors will want to do an endoscopy also and take 5 or more biopsy samples to check them under a microscope. They are looking for damage to the villi that line the small intestine. Some doctors will diagnose on the blood antibodies only, without the endoscopy. You also have the option of going gluten-free without testing. There is no law saying you have to get an official diagnosis to eat gluten free foods. Many people on this forum have done just that, after years of misdiagnosis by doctors.

If you have symptoms, especially digestive symptoms, going gluten-free may help clear them up. Even if you are not celiac, some people react to gluten and have what is called NCGI (non-celiac gluten intolerance). There are no medical tests for NCGI though, we have to figure it out for ourselves. I suggest you write down your symptoms, and how you feel each day before going gluten-free and afterwards. Sometimes people have symptoms like joint pain or muscle aches, etc. etc. that resolve after going gluten-free, and they didn't think they were anything to do with gluten. You already know that gluten makes you anti-social, and it did that to me also. The thing is, gluten can affect the whole body, not just the gut. One condition it causes is called "gluten ataxia" which affects the brain and makes it difficult for people to walk etc. It is serious stuff having a gluten problem, and you can develop many problems including additional auto-immune disease if you continue to eat gluten. The current thinking is that around 30% of people in the USA that carry at least one of the genes for celiac disease. And it is widespread in other countries too.

I don't remember if I posted these thread links for you earlier or not. But anyway , these may be helpful for you to review.

Again, I don't see any problem with eating once a day myself. It just won't fix celiac disease is all.

FAQ Celiac com

http://www.celiac.co...uestions-about-celiac-disease/

Celiac Newbie Info 101

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?

http://www.celiac.co...-for-breakfast-

today/page__pid__726053__st__180#entry726053

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?

http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dani nero Community Regular

I would revise that to say that many cheap brands contain wheat. In higher end foods you are more likely to see rice. Pearled barley does appear in some top tier brands, and oats are sometimes included. Read the ingredients. The most common wheat source in dog products is in biscuits, not food. There are many wheat-free biscuits available, but they will cost a lot more than a MilkBone.

Thanks for the correction :-) All bunny pellets contain gluten except for Zoopreem (sp?) regardless of their price-range, which is why I thought it would be the same for dog food.

CanineGluten Newbie

Im here because Im here.

I have no problems except when someone steps up to say IFing is wrong.

Scuse me? lol..

Jestgar Rising Star

I don't think anyone is saying it's wrong, just wrong for some people. Diabetics should never skip meals, people who take meds that require food should never skip meals, people on thyroid meds shouldn't skip meals...

I'm confused though, are you saying that eating gluten light works for you, as long as you fast after eating gluten? Or do you always feel poorly after gluten, and fasting helps the symptoms pass more quickly?

psawyer Proficient

Im here because Im here.

That "answer" is not an answer at all.

I have no problems except when someone steps up to say IFing is wrong.

Oh, so if I understand that, your purpose here is to advance your own personal agenda, even though it is in conflict with the purpose this board--helping celiacs heal. Good to know.

CanineGluten Newbie

back up

i dont know if i am "celiac"

just want to shoot the s$#&

and IFing is amazing. not here to sell it.. but seriosuly it would help so many people.

why the "f" would you want to eat if your digestive system is screwed up

ravenwoodglass Mentor

why the "f" would you want to eat if your digestive system is screwed up

To Live.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

To Live.

Was getting ready to say this to him AGAIN, but you beat me to it.

Thanks, Raven! :)

WE need to EAT--Celiacs need to eat. We were in starvation mode long enough.

Adalaide Mentor

I know I'm just repeating, but it simply is not safe for celiacs to starve ourselves all day and binge in the evenings. We've suffered years of being malnourished and we simply can't get what we need to survive. We also can't afford to do things that will put us at risk of additional autoimmune diseases, one of which is diabetes. Binge eating can contribute to developing diabetes.

You can call it whatever you want to, but that doesn't change what it is. If you're spending 23 hours a day not eating and an hour a day stuffing your face with literally anything you feel like putting in there you really need to seek help for your eating disorder. Doing something that absurd is especially dangerous (as in life threatening) for celiacs. If you even suspect you could have celiac you need to either get tested or stay gluten free before you kill yourself.

Oscar Apprentice

To Live.

Exactly.

A person recovering (healing) from celiac disease has a damaged intestine and has been starving for some time. As the gut heals, and begins to absorb nutrients again, it is important not to overload it by trying to eat too much at once. Eating small amounts, frequently, works well. Bingeing and fasting is counter-productive.

If you have diagnosed celiac disease, it is important to eat nutritious meals multiple times per day while healing. Complete recovery may take a few years. Do not listen to CanineGluten--he clearly does not understand the purpose of this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
CanineGluten Newbie

Whatever. Go ahead and think to yourself fasting is not healthy.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi CanineG,

I don't think the idea of intermittent fasting is bad.

Open Original Shared Link

Intermittent fasting (IF) is a Open Original Shared Link that alternates between periods of Open Original Shared Link (usually meaning consumption of water only) and non-fasting.

There is some evidence that intermittent fasting may have beneficial effects on the health and Open Original Shared Link of animals—including Open Original Shared Link—that are similar to the effects of Open Original Shared Link (CR). There is currently no consensus as to the degree to which this is simply due to an (often) concomitant overall decrease in calories. (IF and CR are forms of Dietary Restriction (DR), which is sometimes referred to as Dietary Energy Restriction (DER).)

It may be bad for some people of course, we aren't all the same. But it can probalby help some people too. The fasting itself is ok IMHO, as long as you are NOT eating gluten when you aren't fasting. And you don't overdo the fasting either.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Today I had coffee, yerba mate, and water.. up till 11 AM.

I was feeling fine. My face wasnt puffy under my eyes like when I get glutened.

So even though I kinda wanted to keep fasting, since I had breaded fish last night.. and wanted to clean out..

Fasting in itself is not bad when done properly. I fast frequently myself. Fasting as a way to allow yourself to eat gluten is the problem.

If you are having reactions to gluten then you need to stay away from it whether you have a formal diagnosis or not.

Fasting does not stop the antibodies from their attack. Only being gluten free will do that.

Oscar Apprentice

Oh, my! Raven, you're saying it isn't WHEN we eat, it is WHAT we eat! Who knew?

Archived