cmoore

Untreated Celiac, Can Affect The Brain And Lifespan

Rate this topic

Thanks for posting this! I sent it to several relatives who still need to get tested.

I've seen this topic written up before, and yet Dr.s seem to be unaware of the gluten-neurological connection?

I was at Mayo Clinic MN 3 weeks ago. I saw a Neurologist for my ataxia, brain fog, cognitive impairment, speech and writing dificulty, short term memory loss, and inabilty to muli-task after inhaling wheat flour several weeks earlier. I was told that there needs to be more study in this area. The connection between gluten and these symptoms have been documented, but they aren't sure why they happen.

I think the consideration of gluten as a cause for neurological sypmtoms may be a while in coming, unfortunately?

I think the consideration of gluten as a cause for neurological sypmtoms may be a while in coming, unfortunately?

Not if we people with the actual brain damage visible on a scan keeping talking about it. See this thread from April 2012:

Thanks for posting this article.

There is much written about gluten and neurological symptoms.

I had many of those symptoms myself. I saw 4 Neuros, one of them telling me flat out the burning parasthesia, neuropathy,muscle pain, weakness and loss of mass, ataxia and cognitive issues were "not a neurological problem" because my Brain MRI and EMGs were "normal" :blink:

If one of them had been celiac-savvy, (and by that, I mean if one of them read a current medical journal once and a while, I might have been DXed a LOT sooner.

Look here:

http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/theneurologicalmanifestationsofgluten

Thanks cmoore & everyone who posted on this thread. Great info.!

Yeah, it's definitely disturbing how unaware the medical establishment is of celiac disease...so asking a random practitioner about celiac/cognitive connections is a reach. I was at an event not too long ago hosted by a local GI practice and the presenting GI showed the audience brain images that contained celiac-attributed white matter. He spoke specifically about ataxia and although I asked him if the white matter could be associated with cognitive deficits or other neurological conditions, he didn't really answer my question; not sure if he didn't know or didn't want to scare the audience. I have no doubt that current and future research will produce a full range of cognitive and neurological connections. In fact, I recall reading a while back about celiac cases where plaque and calcium had broken through the blood brain barrier, causing disruptive building, blocking neuronal connections, etc.