Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmoore

Untreated Celiac, Can Affect The Brain And Lifespan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've seen this topic written up before, and yet Dr.s seem to be unaware of the gluten-neurological connection?

I was at Mayo Clinic MN 3 weeks ago. I saw a Neurologist for my ataxia, brain fog, cognitive impairment, speech and writing dificulty, short term memory loss, and inabilty to muli-task after inhaling wheat flour several weeks earlier. I was told that there needs to be more study in this area. The connection between gluten and these symptoms have been documented, but they aren't sure why they happen.

I think the consideration of gluten as a cause for neurological sypmtoms may be a while in coming, unfortunately?

I think the consideration of gluten as a cause for neurological sypmtoms may be a while in coming, unfortunately?

Not if we people with the actual brain damage visible on a scan keeping talking about it. See this thread from April 2012:

This is from "Latitudes OnLine" http://www.latitudes.org/spe/celiac_disease.html

When someone has a neurological problem, it

1999 - Hypothyroid

2003 - Hashimoto's Disease

2008 - Diverticulitis

2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency

2011 - Diverticulitis again

2011 - HLA-DQ2.2

2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

Thanks for posting this article.

There is much written about gluten and neurological symptoms.

I had many of those symptoms myself. I saw 4 Neuros, one of them telling me flat out the burning parasthesia, neuropathy,muscle pain, weakness and loss of mass, ataxia and cognitive issues were "not a neurological problem" because my Brain MRI and EMGs were "normal" :blink:

If one of them had been celiac-savvy, (and by that, I mean if one of them read a current medical journal once and a while, I might have been DXed a LOT sooner.

Look here:

http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/theneurologicalmanifestationsofgluten

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thanks cmoore & everyone who posted on this thread. Great info.!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Yeah, it's definitely disturbing how unaware the medical establishment is of celiac disease...so asking a random practitioner about celiac/cognitive connections is a reach. I was at an event not too long ago hosted by a local GI practice and the presenting GI showed the audience brain images that contained celiac-attributed white matter. He spoke specifically about ataxia and although I asked him if the white matter could be associated with cognitive deficits or other neurological conditions, he didn't really answer my question; not sure if he didn't know or didn't want to scare the audience. I have no doubt that current and future research will produce a full range of cognitive and neurological connections. In fact, I recall reading a while back about celiac cases where plaque and calcium had broken through the blood brain barrier, causing disruptive building, blocking neuronal connections, etc.