This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 Years Into gluten-free Diet And Tired Of Being Different

lloydke

lloydke Rookie

At first it was just about feeling better, but now that I do feel better I can't help but just feel sorry for myself. Every time a Pizza comes into the house I want to throw myself on the floor and have tantrum. Nobody seems to understand and I do not want to try to explain it to them anymore. I went to dinner at the Myrtle Beach Margarittaville last summer (they were very accommidating to people with dietary restrictions by the way) and the chief came to my table to inquire about my gluten-free meal. I don't want to be special-- I just want to be normal again.

I need a support group. A place to go and vent. Everyone close to me are trying to understand but they just don't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MitziG Enthusiast

You found one. Welcome. :) everyone here can relate. Celiac sucks- no doubt about it. You just shouldn't have to think so darn hard about eating! And of course, by now you know there are great gluten-free alternatives to just about everything- but they are neither simple or cheap. So yeah...we get iit!

What helps? Well...I personally imagine how much worse it would be to have a bag full of poop strapped to my waist because I got intestinal cancer and had to have them cut out. Kinda puts the whole pizza thing in perspective!

But mostly I just come here a lot. Sometimes to vent, but mostly to be reminded I am not alone. There are many, many of us. And we all get it.

We aren't ever going to be "normal" again. But you know what? Many of those "normal" people aren't going to stay that way. They will develop diabetes, and have to take insulin and eat certain foods. They may develop other illnesses, some of which are incapacitating or disfiguring. They will be affected by tragedy- everyone is.

Life is a gift, and we must learn to enjoy it as it was given to us. Even if it is not in the wrapping we prefer!

Gemini Experienced

Since when does the act of not eating gluten make me not normal? :blink: What has diet got to do with normal?

MitziG Enthusiast

"Normal" in quotes Gemini. Relax. I'm sure you are normal. Probably. Definitely. ;)

Adalaide Mentor

Since when does the act of not eating gluten make me not normal? :blink: What has diet got to do with normal?

This made me laugh. I'm not normal for a whole lot of reasons, but this isn't one I'd considered. Although I have been known to throw out the occasional very sarcasitc and biting "I'm special" in regards to my health issues which now includes celiac. :lol:

It's hard to be different, and that part of this hasn't gotten easier with time. As a matter of fact the last time my husband had pizza I came pretty close to having a slice. I was seriously weighing the pros and cons, frankly the only thing that stopped me is that if I'm going to get that sick anyway then by god I'll eat a whole damn pizza myself. (I have since become mildly more sane.) Sure, what I'd like is to go out with the family to eat and just order whatever I like with the world's largest slice of cake for dessert. What I get are outtings to a mostly gluten free (naturally) Brazilian steakhouse with killer limeade and creme brulee for desert. In the category of small wins, I still have Wendy's.

bartfull Rising Star

I went to a restaurant with some friends last night. They were eating pizza, and one of them had a burger and fries. It all looked so good, but I wasn't even tempted - THIS TIME. There have been other times though, that I felt exactly the way you describe.

In those moments, I have started repeating this mantra -

"Grace and style. I am going to get through this evening with grace and style, and when I get home I am going to reward myself with a big bowl of ice cream."

Then I just forget about it and enjoy the company.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I have those spells too. I sometimes think, "why me?" and "why can't I eat what everyone else can?" But what I know is if I do, I will be sick and it is not worth it

Fortunately, there are some very good gluten-free products, even some very good gluten-free pizza! I am diabetic too so I have to be very careful with carbs but at least I can have the gluten-free pizza as long as I don't go over-board!!

I go out with friends quite a bit and I don't let my health issues decide where we go but I know I always have to be careful. I can normally find guten-free, grain-free items on the menu.....salads and meat. But I have actually ran into a coupe situations where seriously, where we were, I had to skip. I feel bad because people are looking at me with sympathy but it is better for me to skip and eat later than eat and be sick later so I enjoy the company and don't worry about the food.

Even with such a limited diet like myself, there is always something to eat.....lol, as long as you are not eating at a Club or fast food food court.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

"Normal" in quotes Gemini. Relax. I'm sure you are normal. Probably. Definitely. ;)

Whew! I was beginning to get worried...... ;)

I guess I did not inherit the "I'm worried about being different" gene because at no time have I ever been worried or bothered about being perceived as not "normal". I don't want to be like everyone else because most of the population eat a crap diet that will eventually make them very sick anyway....and I'm not talking about gluten! Either that, or it's years of living as a moderate conservative in one of the most flamingly liberal states in America. You grow a tough skin. I also never had any gluten withdrawals and I have never once wanted to eat the gluten chocolate cake at a restaurant because I get so damn sick from ingesting such small amounts, I still remember how close I came to dying from this disease and never, ever want to go there again. I also associate some foods like pizza with extreme pain so it took awhile for me to want to even eat the gluten-free versions of them because I went so long without a diagnosis and food equaled pain for me.

I think the people with the hardest time adjusting are younger people where food is such a huge part of the social scene today. Food wasn't the obsessive thing when I was younger that it has become today and that isn't so healthy either. All I can say is, it is becoming easier and easier to follow a gluten-free diet today than it was 7 years ago when I was diagnosed and it will continue to get easier with each passing year. Pretty soon, everyone will know about the gluten-free diet, except for those who live under a rock, and it won't be such a big deal. Well..that's my fantasy anyway.... :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Either that, or it's years of living as a moderate conservative in one of the most flamingly liberal states in America.

.... Pretty soon, everyone will know about the gluten-free diet, except for those who live under a rock, and it won't be such a big deal. Well..that's my fantasy anyway.... :D

Gemini knows my feelings on this topic because I tell her all the time: Someday WE will be the majority. You'll see. :)

(and hey, that flamingly liberal state produced MOI ... :lol:)

To the OP:

Hon, it is difficult sometimes--just for the convenience factor--but I do not let it bother me one bit. I'd rather be healthy than sick from all that gluteny fast food crap everybody else eats.

I'd rather be "different" ME than all the unhealthy Gluten Eaters I know who are miserable and complain loudly about it. I told them the key to real happiness lies in stepping away from the donuts and MickeyD's, but do they listen? Nope.

Celebrate your good health! Be gluten-free and proud.

And I LOVE it when the chef gives me attention. Everyone else is jealous.

Gail5 Newbie

I have been 17 months gluten free. Still fighting to get my health back. Would love to know normal, never had that. Yes at times I want a really good pizza or sub, but I am learning about being healthy and eating healthy gluten free. What I really need is that person I can cry to about can't find this gluten free item in my area, can't afford to pay those prices, and when my recipe FAIL'S and dinner or what ever I baked taste and looks like crap there was someone to talk to about it. I can't afford failures, no one understand or cares to understand my diet. No one to bounce ideas and thoughts about thgis gluten free stuff off of. I am alone with my disease and no support group and no one around to try to build one. My hubby is diabetic and heart history, balancing both diets are rough!!!! I would love a support person to talk to a couple times a week. ;)

love2travel Mentor

Rather than go out to eat, I would rather have friends over and cook and bake incredibly delectable gluten-free food for them. We have no safe restaurants for a three-hour radius but I am thankful I love to cook. Maybe instead of going out or putting yourself in the position of seeing pizza and so on, make your own delicious pizza for friends. Heck, you can have a pizza party and prep all the toppings in advance. Each person can top his/her own pizza.

Gluten pizza (and other food) is not allowed in my house. If my husband wants to eat gluten pizza, he will have it at work or whatever as he does not want to tempt me.

Believe me, I agree that celiac sucks. But to be honest I rarely think about it any more as there are more stressful things in my life. I used to dwell on it but my mindset has completely changed, thankfully.

Gail5, you have a support group right here. :) Our local celiac group is not all that exciting or supportive. This one is far more beneficial in my mind! Just feel free to talk about it and ask questions and learn. And feel better about things. Don't forget to take one step and one day at a time! :D

cyberprof Enthusiast

I have been 17 months gluten free. Still fighting to get my health back. Would love to know normal, never had that. Yes at times I want a really good pizza or sub, but I am learning about being healthy and eating healthy gluten free. What I really need is that person I can cry to about can't find this gluten free item in my area, can't afford to pay those prices, and when my recipe FAIL'S and dinner or what ever I baked taste and looks like crap there was someone to talk to about it. I can't afford failures, no one understand or cares to understand my diet. No one to bounce ideas and thoughts about thgis gluten free stuff off of. I am alone with my disease and no support group and no one around to try to build one. My hubby is diabetic and heart history, balancing both diets are rough!!!! I would love a support person to talk to a couple times a week. ;)

Gail5, we are happy to be your support person. If you're in the Seattle area, I'll be happy to meet you any time. Or if you want to skype, we could do that. Hang in there. It does get better.

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes, that's what WE are for!!

WE'RE a great SUPPORT group!!

CYBERPROF, if I had known you were a Skyper all this time, I'd have been yakking yer head off since I joined last year :D This typing kills my back!!!

And I am with LOVE2TRAVEL--no gluten in my house. And if she lived near me, I'd be at her house every night for dinner.

Adalaide Mentor

And I am with LOVE2TRAVEL--no gluten in my house. And if she lived near me, I'd be at her house every night for dinner.

I think we'd all be at her house for dinner every night!

love2travel Mentor

I think we'd all be at her house for dinner every night!

...and if you lived even remotely near me I would invite you over for dinner each night! Can you imagine the great conversations we would have? :D

IH, you are more than welcome to fly on over whenever you like! :P There is an extra place setting for you.

IrishHeart Veteran

IH, you are more than welcome to fly on over whenever you like! :P There is an extra place setting for you.

WHOOHOO!!! As soon as I am physically able, I'm coming to find you!! :lol:

lloydke Rookie

I'm not feeling sorry for myself anymore, nor do feel all alone. You guys are great-- time for me to, "Celebrate good Health..."

Thanks again Keith

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm not feeling sorry for myself anymore, nor do feel all alone. You guys are great-- time for me to, "Celebrate good Health..."

Thanks again Keith

You are never alone if you come on here, Keith!

And if you go to Canada, LOVE2TRAVEL will feed you.

I'm in upstate NY and you are always welcome to eat here, too.

I am not kidding. I feed all birds, strays and celiacs!!! :)

Can you swing a hammer? we're building a front porch right now and we can use a hand.....

love2travel Mentor

You are never alone if you come on here, Keith!

And if you go to Canada, LOVE2TRAVEL will feed you.

I'm in upsate NY and you are always welcome to eat here, too.

I am not kidding. I feed all birds, strays and celiacs!!! :)

Can you swing a hammer? we're building a front porch right now and we can use a hand.....

Yes, I will. I would be happy to feed you! :D

This community has helped me with my celiac journey more than my local so-called support group or any other group. People are understanding and GET IT!! :)

Gemini Experienced

Thanks again Keith

Keith....my nutty family think I am the nutcase because I have informed them that no one is bringing any gluten crap into my brand new house/kitchen.

I finally have my dream kitchen and they thought the Christmas party would be held there this year, until I asked them if they all were planning

on eating gluten free? I think if they had the power, they would have me committed but you know what? I do not care one bit what they think,

only to feel sorry for them. They all have symptoms and are in denial and in so-so health. Their brains are foggy from gluten and I never want to be like that again.

I only have to look at their behavior to remind me what gluten does to the brain/body. It isn't worth it!

If you are missing any particular food item, then let us know and we'll help satisfy that craving! There are many good cooks and much good advice to be had here.

They will become more of a family than your own, at times. :D

IrishHeart Veteran

This community has helped me with my celiac journey more than my local so-called support group or any other group. People are understanding and GET IT!! :)

I just read a comment on someone's gluten-free blog.

She said (in reference to my calling overcoming this disease and living "normally" a bit of a battle sometimes, but it can be won)

"The celiac community leaves no man behind. We are each other's reinforcements."

I loved that!

No one GETS it like another one walking the same path.

IrishHeart Veteran

They will become more of a family than your own, at times. :D

Listen to my celiac sister here.

I'm going to her house for Christmas this year.

love2travel Mentor

I just read a comment on someone's gluten-free blog.

She said (in reference to my calling overcoming this disease and living "normally" a bit of battle, but it can be won)

"The celiac community leaves no man behind. We are each other's reinforcements."

I loved that!

No one GETS it like another one walking the same path.

That is really an interesting way of viewing it. And oh, so right! Love it.

melikamaui Explorer

What helps? Well...I personally imagine how much worse it would be to have a bag full of poop strapped to my waist because I got intestinal cancer and had to have them cut out. Kinda puts the whole pizza thing in perspective!

This hit so close to home for me. My grandfather died just like this. He had intestinal cancer and died with a bag of poop strapped to him. And it was his biggest fear because his father died like that too. He always said he didn't want to go out like his dad, and at only 52 years old, he did. Now I understand why he got this particular cancer, even though he had no clue, but I believe he had celiac disease, as did his father. My grandparents had 13 children, one of whom is my mother, she has celiac disease, I have celiac disease, and both of my kids have it too. I am trying desperately to get her 12 brothers and sisters and their children tested, but to no avail. I wonder how many of them will meet their graves way too early with a bag of poop strapped to them? I shudder at the thought. Sigh. :(

Gemini Experienced

Listen to my celiac sister here.

I'm going to her house for Christmas this year.

And you know you are most welcome in my home because you won't mind the "No Gluten Allowed" sign! ;) Isn't it sad when you would invite and welcome someone with Celiac you have never met and then ban your blood relatives from coming because they won't honor your attempts to be healthy? :blink: Probably would have a much better time anyway!

Archived