Skittles

Tri-Cyclen Birth Control

Rate this topic

Hello, I called the Canadian company for Tri-cyclen and was told that they do not put gluten in their pills but they cannot garuntee that they are gluten free because there may or may not be cross-contamination during manufacturing. Just wondering if anyone takes these pills and if they are okay? I have been taking them for 10 years but have been recently diagnosed with celiac. However, I don't get extremely sick when I am glutened so I don't know if these are okay or not.

I use Ortho Tri-Cyclen -- my pharmacist (in the U.S.) checked and his information said they were listed as gluten-free. Not sure if it is a different manufacturing facility or not or if something has changed since I got the Rx (I can get a year's worth at a time through our insurance!) Is it the actual name-brand (Ortho) or one of the generics? I was on a generic when diagnosed but switched to the name brand (more expensive!) because the generics were all listed with the disclaimer you mentioned.

That being said, it sounds like a CYA statement since they don't actually test for gluten. I have not had a problem with them.

I use Ortho Tri-Cyclen -- my pharmacist (in the U.S.) checked and his information said they were listed as gluten-free. Not sure if it is a different manufacturing facility or not or if something has changed since I got the Rx (I can get a year's worth at a time through our insurance!) Is it the actual name-brand (Ortho) or one of the generics? I was on a generic when diagnosed but switched to the name brand (more expensive!) because the generics were all listed with the disclaimer you mentioned.

That being said, it sounds like a CYA statement since they don't actually test for gluten. I have not had a problem with them.

Yep mine is the Ortho brand!

Hello, I called the Canadian company for Tri-cyclen and was told that they do not put gluten in their pills but they cannot garuntee that they are gluten free because there may or may not be cross-contamination during manufacturing. Just wondering if anyone takes these pills and if they are okay? I have been taking them for 10 years but have been recently diagnosed with celiac. However, I don't get extremely sick when I am glutened so I don't know if these are okay or not.

A trace of CC on a tiny pill is not enough gluten to bother most celiacs. You will typically get more gluten in a couple slices of "gluten-free" bread. The big worry is whether the pill has wheat starch as part of the formulation. The pill sounds fine to me.

A trace of CC on a tiny pill is not enough gluten to bother most celiacs. You will typically get more gluten in a couple slices of "gluten-free" bread. The big worry is whether the pill has wheat starch as part of the formulation. The pill sounds fine to me.

Thanks glutenologist! :)

If you're at all pre-disposed to canker sores, Tri-Cyclen will make the problem infinitely worse. I was on Tri-Cyclen for a year and spent most of that time with a mouth full of very painful canker sores. Now I only get a few a year instead of having them constantly.