This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Back To Feeling How I Felt When I Was Eating Gluten?

abby03

abby03 Contributor

I stopped eating gluten about a week ago and for 3 or 4 days I felt great. Not 100% better by any means, but I was already noticing small changes and I was really excited. I felt energetic and my stomach felt semi-normal and I just felt good. Yesterday I woke up with stomach pain. It got a little better but the rest of the day I just felt like my old self- gas, bloating, nausea, etc. Today isn't any better. On top of the stomach issues I just feel tired and blah. I was hungry earlier so I had some lunch and now I feel kind of miserable. I've also been feeling slightly dizzy today. I got so excited for those few days that I felt good and it's really discouraging to feel like this again. I graduate in 2 days and I want to feel good. I don't want to sit through the whole ceremony worrying about my stomach and feeling sick. I've read about withdrawal but I'm not sure if that's what this is? I haven't really had any desire to eat gluten because I was feeling so good without it. Is it still possible that I'm experiencing withdrawal? And how long could it last? Another thing I read was that many people develop lactose intolerance after going gluten free. Could that possibly be it? Or maybe the whole feeling good for those few days was all just a weird coincidence and I haven't really felt any changes from not eating gluten? Sorry I'm rambling, I'm just feeling a little discouraged right now. I have no intentions of eating gluten again, but I just want to know if it's possible that I could start feeling better again within the next few days? I know no one can answer that for me but maybe sharing your stories from your first few weeks gluten free would give me an idea of what to expect? Thanks so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I feel that people who stop eating gluten should also quit lactose at first to test whether their intestinal villi have been damaged. All it takes is a week off, have some ice cream and see what happens. Also, yes, your symptoms are entirely consistent with withdrawal, both time of onset and feeling bad. Also normal is the up and down, feeling good, feeling not-so-good for a while. You have a damaged body and it is not going to heal overnight, it is going to take a while. Be happy with every little bit of progress you make, expect your body to react to the loss of gluten (it is not necessarily a craving for gluten, it is just a reaction to its absence) and lay off the lactose (and, if necessary, all dairy) for a good 3-6 months. Take some probiotics and be sure to keep strictly gluten free. You should be feeling better soon. :)

abby03 Contributor

Thanks for the response, Mushroom :)

I woke up feeling okay today and then after lunch things started going downhill. All of a sudden I'm extremely tired, (and I got a good 9 hours of sleep last night and haven't done anything today!) emotional (for no apparent reason. This is what I imagine it feels like to be pregnant. I'm laughing about it at the moment but just 5 minutes ago I was a crying/whining mess.), and a little bit nauseous.

I had a few questions if anyone could answer them:

First, does this mean the diet is working? What I mean is, would anyone going off of gluten still experience these withdrawal symptoms even if didn't have celiac disease or an intolerance? Or does it mean that my body is healing?

Second, is there any certain way to make this process go a little faster or to lessen the symptoms? Other than resting, which isn't too much of an option right now with how crazy things are. Starting next week, I'll probably be able to rest more but at the moment, things are pretty hectic!

And finally, how long should I expect this to last? A week? A month? 6 months? I know each person is different but an average would be good.

Thanks again for any help! This forum is probably the best resource I've found since going gluten free. Everyone is so helpful and nice and understanding!

mushroom Proficient

If you are going through gluten withdrawal it is an indication that your body has become dependent on its gluten fix. We are often addicted to the things that are bad for us, like smoking and heroin :o Someone who is not addicted to nicotine does not go through withdrawal if they stop smoking; i.e., some people can smoke and not become addicted. Some people can eat gluten and not have it act like an opioid in their bodies; others cannot. To me withdrawal symptoms are a sign that gluten is harming you. And yes, taking away the gluten is causing the body to complain so therefore the diet is working. How long will it complain? Generally about the same amount of time as nicotine, or two to three weeks. There is not much you can do except distract yourself. Some find that exercise is good for that. Just grin and bear it, thinking of how much better you will feel when you come out the other side :D Being that it is making you tired, try walking as your exercise, something not too strenuous.

Lori2 Contributor

Also consider the possibility of cross contamination. Is your family gluten free? Are your meals prepared in a gluten free environment? Are you eating any place other than at home? In other words, are you sure that your meals are absolutely gluten free?

myadidas1981 Newbie

Hey, Abby03 - I'm in the same boat, so know that there's another Celiac newb right there with you.

I was diagnosed at the end of March, and went strictly gluten-free immediately after. I can proudly say I have not knowingly or intentionally glutened myself since. And very soon after going gluten-free, I noticed substantial improvement in my symptoms - less gas, less bloating, less abdominal burning, less anxiety, more focus at work and a better all-around attitude. I also lost about 20 pounds.

Fast forward two months. The similar pains and problems I had before going gluten-free are back and have been for almost two weeks now. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I believe it can be traced back to the Dr. Pepper and Captain Morgan's I had on Memorial Day. Since that day, I've been up and down with a dull, gnawing ache in the pit of my stomach that comes and goes. It's not too worrisome yet, because now I know I have Celiac disease. But it's aggravating nonetheless.

I know they say the road to recovery in the first year is filled with peaks and valleys, so I'd say I'm currently in one of those pits. But it does suck, so I certainly feel your pain. Anyone else have a rough first year of ups and downs?

GFinDC Veteran

HI,

IMHO it's very normal to have back and forth days, especially when starting out. You can try to improve things by:

Not eating in restaraunts

Eating only whole foods not processed foods.

Eating only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Taking proboitics.

Taking digestive enzymes.

Avoiding dairy.

Avoiding sugars and starchy foods.

Avoiding alcohol.

Some threads with good info:

FAQ Celiac com

http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Celiac Newbie Info 101

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?

http://www.celiac.co...180#entry726053

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?

http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I had the same experience. I felt GREAT the first few days, then, for about a week, I had extreme fatigue. I was irritable and cranky. Hungry, but no appetite. Headache and brain fog. It was WORSE than being pregnant. Then, after about a week, each day got a little bit better. After about a month, I felt pretty good most days.

Then I had a setback that had me questioning the whole gluten thing. My symptoms all seemed to come back (slowly) and I felt like I did before. After about a week, I realized the B complex I had started taking daily had gluten in them. Once I got rid of that, I was back to feeling good.

My son had ZERO withdrawal symptoms. He showed improvement right from day 1.

I was told that if you did not have a problem with gluten, you would not have a problem giving up gluten - so if you are experiencing withdrawal, that is a good clue that you should continue to be gluten free.

I found that exercising helped (sweating out the toxins?), as well as drinking tons of water. I also had an urge to keep my skin really, really clean (frequent showers with head to toe exfoliation) - not sure what that was, but I always felt better.

I craved fresh pineapple (ate about one a day that first week) and learned later that pineapple has many gut-healing properties - so maybe that helped too.

Cara

abby03 Contributor

Also consider the possibility of cross contamination. Is your family gluten free? Are your meals prepared in a gluten free environment? Are you eating any place other than at home? In other words, are you sure that your meals are absolutely gluten free?

I did consider cross contimation. I wasn't sure if it was too soon for my body to have a reaction to gluten since I've only been off of it for such a short about of time. Is this possible?

I haven't eaten at any restaurants since starting the gluten free diet but I am the only person in my family that is gluten free so my meals are prepared in gluten containing kitchen. We designated the top shelf of the cupboard to my gluten free foods. I also got my own non-stick skillet, colander, cutting board, spatula, pasta server, etc. that I keep in a drawer separate from everything else. I still use our glass plates, glass bowls, and glass baking dishes. I also use our old saucepans (I think they're metal?). Is this okay? I also use our old baking sheets with aluminum foil. (I think that's okay?) I'm doing my best to read labels and pretty much sticking to fruits, vegetables, nuts, and things that I am 100% sure and confident are gluten free. I'm in charge of cleaning the kitchen most of the time and being the slight germaphobe that I am, I think I manage to keep it pretty clean. I wash my dishes before dishes that have touched gluten foods and make sure to wipe down all workspaces and counter tops with disinfectant wipes. I fend for myself for breakfast and lunch and then for dinner I pretty much help my mom prepare it about 99.9% of the time. The only exception would be if she's outside at the grill and I'm making something at the stove inside. But even then she knows not to put my food directly on the grill and which utensils to use and such. So I think I'm doing okay in this area.

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I think I'm finally going to have to give in and at least limit my dairy for a while. Me and dairy are even worse than me and gluten. I am a lover of cheeses. I'm not a huge lover of milk, but I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast most mornings so I'll consider switching to almond milk or something for that. I don't eat much ice cream or use a lot of butter but I just love.cheese.so.much. I know that dairy (or at least lactose) is causing me issues judging by the obnoxious, slightly scary noises my stomach makes after my cereal in the mornings but I just love dairy so much that I find it even harder to give up than gluten. Do you guys think I would see improvements even if I even just cut back on it for a while? For example, switched to almond milk and limited my cheese to only a tiny bit a day or even a tiny bit every few days? Or do I really need to just cut it out completely for the time being?

Also, as far as Probiotics go, any recommendations? I don't do well with pills so it needs to be chewable or a gummy. I was looking at sustenex because they have a gummy.. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help! I definitely wouldn't have the slightest clue of where to begin with this diet without this forum so thank you thank you thank you!

mushroom Proficient

Lactose intolerance is not "developed" after going gluten free - it becomes recognized once the gluten mask is taken away. We are lactose intolerant because the villi in our small intestine have been destroyed, and it is at the tips of these villi that the enzyme lactase which digests the milk sugar is produced. It is not until the gut heals that these enzymes are restored. Some people can get by with drinking Lactaid milk or taking Lactaid digestive tablets; others have to give up lactose altogether, and some have to give up all dairy because they are also casein (milk protein) intolerant.

You can test yourself by giving up all dairy for a few days, and if all goes well then add in some hard cheese which contains very little lactose. If you do not react to that or to butter, but do to milk, you are probably just lactose intolerant and this is a temporary condition until your gut has healed. :) In which case you may be able to eat yogurt too.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I had the same problem. I found that I had to learn more about where gluten can be found and eliminate more sources of gluten from my diet before I could maintain good health. Depending on how sensitive you are, it can take awhile to learn.

cait Apprentice

Does anyone cook/bake with flour in your house? That can be a big cross contamination issue too.

• 2 weeks later...
myadidas1981 Newbie

I did consider cross contimation. I wasn't sure if it was too soon for my body to have a reaction to gluten since I've only been off of it for such a short about of time. Is this possible?

I haven't eaten at any restaurants since starting the gluten free diet but I am the only person in my family that is gluten free so my meals are prepared in gluten containing kitchen. We designated the top shelf of the cupboard to my gluten free foods. I also got my own non-stick skillet, colander, cutting board, spatula, pasta server, etc. that I keep in a drawer separate from everything else. I still use our glass plates, glass bowls, and glass baking dishes. I also use our old saucepans (I think they're metal?). Is this okay? I also use our old baking sheets with aluminum foil. (I think that's okay?) I'm doing my best to read labels and pretty much sticking to fruits, vegetables, nuts, and things that I am 100% sure and confident are gluten free. I'm in charge of cleaning the kitchen most of the time and being the slight germaphobe that I am, I think I manage to keep it pretty clean. I wash my dishes before dishes that have touched gluten foods and make sure to wipe down all workspaces and counter tops with disinfectant wipes. I fend for myself for breakfast and lunch and then for dinner I pretty much help my mom prepare it about 99.9% of the time. The only exception would be if she's outside at the grill and I'm making something at the stove inside. But even then she knows not to put my food directly on the grill and which utensils to use and such. So I think I'm doing okay in this area.

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I think I'm finally going to have to give in and at least limit my dairy for a while. Me and dairy are even worse than me and gluten. I am a lover of cheeses. I'm not a huge lover of milk, but I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast most mornings so I'll consider switching to almond milk or something for that. I don't eat much ice cream or use a lot of butter but I just love.cheese.so.much. I know that dairy (or at least lactose) is causing me issues judging by the obnoxious, slightly scary noises my stomach makes after my cereal in the mornings but I just love dairy so much that I find it even harder to give up than gluten. Do you guys think I would see improvements even if I even just cut back on it for a while? For example, switched to almond milk and limited my cheese to only a tiny bit a day or even a tiny bit every few days? Or do I really need to just cut it out completely for the time being?

Also, as far as Probiotics go, any recommendations? I don't do well with pills so it needs to be chewable or a gummy. I was looking at sustenex because they have a gummy.. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help! I definitely wouldn't have the slightest clue of where to begin with this diet without this forum so thank you thank you thank you!

Per your question on probiotics, I'm a little late, but I personally take Culturelle. Where I'm at, it's notably cheaper than Align, and I've read good things about it. It is, however, too soon for me to tell you how well it works, as I'm still inside my first few months on it.

(Should have mentioned that I take the pill form, but they have a powder. Says it's for kids, but I'm sure it does much the same thing.)

Archived