This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pharmacists--Ugh!

christianmom247

christianmom247 Explorer

My doc gave me a new prescription for blood pressure medicine, which I took to the local CVS pharmacy where my file is flagged with a gluten-free alert. I had been told they would call the manufacturer to verify the safety of any prescription before dispensing it, but of course they didn't.

I called a CVS pharmacist when I got home and discovered that they had not done this, and he got REALLY belligerent and snotty with me for expecting him to actually check before dispensing!!

Is this something that I should expect a pharmacy to do? The doctor can't do it, because she has no way of knowing which generic manufacturer a particular pharmacy will be using. I can't do it for the same reason. Anyone know of some chain pharmacies where they are supposed to check before dispensing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Not all pharmacists are like that.

The pharmacist that I deal with understands my needs, and checks with the manufacturer of the generic before filling the prescription. I always give Derek enough lead time on refills that if he needs to order from an alternate supplier, he can do so before I run out. It works for me, and for Derek.

VydorScope Proficient

I have had similar issues with CVS, but I think it is a location by location thing and not so much an issue with the chain. The Walgreens here in town has always been great to us, but our insurance company no longer covers them so we can not use them. :angry:

kareng Grand Master

Walgreens won't or " can't " check. They aren't allowed to make long distance calls or use the Internet. That's what I was told. So I call before I pick up, find out the manufacturer and sometimes they give me some drug number. They give me a phone number if they have it, otherwise, I have to search the Internet. Then I call the manufacturer. This could be a problem with emergencies or weekends or hospital stays. So far, most seem to be gluten-free but not all.

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

My doc gave me a new prescription for blood pressure medicine, which I took to the local CVS pharmacy where my file is flagged with a gluten-free alert. I had been told they would call the manufacturer to verify the safety of any prescription before dispensing it, but of course they didn't.

I called a CVS pharmacist when I got home and discovered that they had not done this, and he got REALLY belligerent and snotty with me for expecting him to actually check before dispensing!!

Is this something that I should expect a pharmacy to do? The doctor can't do it, because she has no way of knowing which generic manufacturer a particular pharmacy will be using. I can't do it for the same reason. Anyone know of some chain pharmacies where they are supposed to check before dispensing?

Oh heck no! That is the thought that came to my mind. I am a pharmacy tech and i know that is absolutely not acceptable. Besides that, what about the commercials they are advertising: "my cvs, this is my pharmacy". It even specifically mentions monitoring drug interactions....Haha wow!

Adalaide Mentor

After a handful of incidents of "well it doesn't look to me like any of the ingredients are wheat" I decided that pharmacists are not to be trusted. I bring every prescription home, do an online search, call pharmacies to see who the manufacturer is and then call the manufacturer. I failed once to do this and naturally came home with a gluteny medication that had me all sorts of messed up. Sure, it's a lot of work and a royal pain in the butt, especially since I simply can not fill all my prescriptions at the same pharmacy, but my health is worth it.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I provided CVS with the same information, and they have NEVER done any type of checking before filling my prescriptions. Never! So, I always check with the manufacturer when I get home. However, they have always assured me that if it turned out that the medication is NOT gluten free, they would allow me to return it. I haven't found any pharmacies to be willing to check beforehand on whether or not a particular prescription is gluten free. It's wrong, yes....but, unfortunately, no one seems to "get" it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FernW Rookie

I'm with Adlaide. I bring all my Meds home and call myself. I also made the mistake of trusting the Pharmacy and I got sick real sick. Not happening again if I can help it. I go to Walmart now, mostly for convience and they don't check, neither did Rite Aide or CVS and Walgreens is not allowed. They all know I am gluten free and they couldn't care less, my best friend is a pharmacy tech at Walgreens but she cannot check. She used to work for the CVS I used to go to and that is the pharmacy I used when I got glutened. She was not surprised. You have to be lucky and find a good person at the pharmacy willing to do the extra work. So far I have not been lucky.

christianmom247 Explorer

Does it make any difference if the doctor writes something like "gluten-free only" on the prescription? Then they wouldn't be fulfilling the prescription as ordered if they didn't check? <_<

kareng Grand Master

After a handful of incidents of "well it doesn't look to me like any of the ingredients are wheat" I decided that pharmacists are not to be trusted. I bring every prescription home, do an online search, call pharmacies to see who the manufacturer is and then call the manufacturer. I failed once to do this and naturally came home with a gluteny medication that had me all sorts of messed up. Sure, it's a lot of work and a royal pain in the butt, especially since I simply can not fill all my prescriptions at the same pharmacy, but my health is worth it.

You need to call before you bring the meds home. Most pharmacies won't take back the meds, it may not be legal. Even if you get the doc to prescribe it again, your insurance has paid for the ones you can't use and won't pay again. IF you have gotten a pain med, they can't give you anything more in the US. And you get into the system as a "drug seeker".

This list may be helpful.

Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

I take no medications on a regular basis, but when I have had to, I am very fortunate that my Rite Aid pharmacist has bent over backwards for me. My account is red-flagged and they read labels and call companies for me.

Then, she gives me the insert, I read it and check it, too.

The thing is, most companies cannot guarantee anything for us anyway.

The one pharmaceutical company that was gracious in complying with a firm email and a phone call back stating "We have no wheat gltuen in our products, we use corn starch" was TEVA pharmaceuticals.

Lisa Mentor

This might be helpful:

Gemini Experienced

Unless your pharmacist has Celiac, why would anyone rely on an outside person to deem their meds safe? Pharmacists

have a degree in dispensing meds but that doesn't mean they know everything about them. I never trust anyone with verifying

a medication as gluten free but research it myself. If I have a known medication that is gluten-free and works well for me, that is what I tell the doctor to give me. The few times I have needed to take anything, the doctors I saw always deferred to my knowledge with this.

I have yet to meet any pharmacist who is Celiac knowledgeable. Many have been dopes about it, unfortunately.

IrishHeart Veteran

Does it make any difference if the doctor writes something like "gluten-free only" on the prescription? Then they wouldn't be fulfilling the prescription as ordered if they didn't check? <_<

No. There is no way he can "make that happen".

You can consult the most up- to- date gluten-free medications/OTC lists,

read the ingredients yourself

and call the company.

The companies I have called (food, meds, other products) are all very gracious about answering questions.

squirmingitch Veteran

We just had a horrible experience with our CVS being jerks by not refilling my hubs remaining refills for Levothyroxine all because the Dr. closed that practice & opened another. ?????? So we have a problem with CVS b/c they act like jerks! They wouldn't even transfer the scrip to another pharmacy who requested they do so.

That's okay. We now use a local pharmacy that has been around forever in our town. Not a big chain pharmacy. The scrips don't cost any more than the chain stores. In fact, the Levo cost $4 per 30 day supply. AND the pharmacist checked to make sure it contains no gluten! Personal service. Pharmacist who cares. They have free delivery too. Sometimes it's better to go with the small guy & we would even if we had to pay more for the meds b/c we "get what we pay for".wink.gif

bartfull Rising Star

Because I have gluten/soy/corn intolerance, I get my meds made at a compounding pharmacy. My doctor writes it on the 'script', and yeah, it costs a little more, but I know I am safe.

IrishHeart Veteran

Because I have gluten/soy/corn intolerance, I get my meds made at a compounding pharmacy. My doctor writes it on the 'script', and yeah, it costs a little more, but I know I am safe.

That's a good idea, B!! We have one of those compounding pharmacies here and when I had to be on thyroid meds (briefly) they did that for me.

I also used a mail-order compounding pharmacy, but your doc has to be willing to do all this for you. He had to fax it in for me.

Again, it was not a long term thing for me, so I do not know how practical it is for everyone or if they take insurance. (that one did not)

christianmom247 Explorer

Just got a call from the district manager of the area CVS pharmacies after I complained about being brushed off by two of their pharmacists. He was NOT happy with them--said the they ARE supposed to be looking up the info for me and not dispensing medications that would be harmful. They likened it to making sure that someone with an allergy to penicillin or to peanuts wasn't given a drug with those ingredients. He even gave me his name and number to call back if I have any further problems! So it's not CVS at all--just some of their pharmacists who aren't doing what they're supposed to! :o

Adalaide Mentor

You need to call before you bring the meds home.

What I meant is that I leave the doctor's office and come home, paper in hand, bringing home the written prescription. That's when I start making phone calls and if I'm lucky I can head to a pharmacy after only half an hour or so.

kareng Grand Master

Just got a call from the district manager of the area CVS pharmacies after I complained about being brushed off by two of their pharmacists. He was NOT happy with them--said the they ARE supposed to be looking up the info for me and not dispensing medications that would be harmful. They likened it to making sure that someone with an allergy to penicillin or to peanuts wasn't given a drug with those ingredients. He even gave me his name and number to call back if I have any further problems! So it's not CVS at all--just some of their pharmacists who aren't doing what they're supposed to! :o

When I complained to Walgrree's, they acted like that. All concerned and said I should be helped and to talk to the pharmacist. Well, it was the pharmacist that said they a rent allowed to have Internet access or make long distance phone calls. That is blocked. And more than one Walgreens told me that. When I told them I was talking to the pharmacist, I don't think I got another answer. So I hope CVS means it. :blink:

What I meant is that I leave the doctor's office and come home, paper in hand, bringing home the written prescription. That's when I start making phone calls and if I'm lucky I can head to a pharmacy after only half an hour or so.

Good. Someone mentioned returning the meds and that usually wouldn't work. I find out what the pharmacy is going to give me and the company and call. Not sure what we will do if it's a night or weekend thing. I think it will depend on how badly I need it. Since every med I've looked into is gluten-free, I might chance it for a pill or two if its important.

squirmingitch Veteran

Karen, Walgreen's is either stupid or lying to you. Think for a minute. Any pill manufacturer has an 800 # so Walgreen's wouldn't have to make a long distance call --- it's 800 #'s. Am I wrong?

psawyer Proficient

Since every med I've looked into is gluten-free, I might chance it for a pill or two if its important.

Gluten in meds, whether OTC or by script, is not common. Yes, it does occasionally happen. In North America when a stabilizer is needed is is almost invariably corn starch. Bad news for those with an intolerance to maize. But not an issue for those avoiding gluten.

VydorScope Proficient

Karen, Walgreen's is either stupid or lying to you. Think for a minute. Any pill manufacturer has an 800 # so Walgreen's wouldn't have to make a long distance call --- it's 800 #'s. Am I wrong?

I have had Walgreens and CVS both make calls for me in the past. That is why I think it is more of a specific location issue rather then a chain issue.

kareng Grand Master

I know one I had to check, the pharmacy didn't have a number for. I had to check around on the Internet to find a number. It was a small company that had been bought by a big company but the meds still listed the small company as the manufacturer. Besides, why would I trust people who say that the amount of gluten that could be in the pill is so small, it couldn't hurt me to take it twice a day for months?

benXX Rookie

I'd check the FDA database and click on the label information

Archived