amcam17

Help!

Rate this topic

Everyone,

I need help. I've been on this gluten free diet for four days now. I think I may have been glutened but it could be just a normal stomach pain. I had kettle corn and pop corn last night....is this a HUGE no no for us Celiacs? I only ask because I LOVE this stuff and am having a hard time coping with everything. My boyfriend and I haven't really talked about it, I keep saying I'm fine. When in fact I'm absolutely terrified. I don't know what I can and can't eat yet other than the obvious wheat, rye, barley and oats. I don't know what kind of seasonings I can eat and can't. My boyfriend's family is italin and they LOVE to season stuff. They are trying to accomodate me but with me not having a "list" of the no's then I can't give them anything to go off of. I'm scared to eat anything that I don't cook or know what's on it. I have to admit though I feel awesome my energy level is insane I have more now than my boyfriends 4 year old little nephew. I use to have to take naps constantly and was constantly aggitated (the boyfriend received the blunt of this poor guy!) Needless to say my lifestyle has changed drastically! For the better of course. Any one know about the popcorn or the list that I can get of the absolte no's?!?!? Please let me know asap!

Thanks!

You're stressed out, overwhelemed Celiac friend,

Amie

Everyone,

I need help. I've been on this gluten free diet for four days now. I think I may have been glutened but it could be just a normal stomach pain. I had kettle corn and pop corn last night....is this a HUGE no no for us Celiacs? I only ask because I LOVE this stuff and am having a hard time coping with everything. My boyfriend and I haven't really talked about it, I keep saying I'm fine. When in fact I'm absolutely terrified. I don't know what I can and can't eat yet other than the obvious wheat, rye, barley and oats. I don't know what kind of seasonings I can eat and can't. My boyfriend's family is italin and they LOVE to season stuff. They are trying to accomodate me but with me not having a "list" of the no's then I can't give them anything to go off of. I'm scared to eat anything that I don't cook or know what's on it. I have to admit though I feel awesome my energy level is insane I have more now than my boyfriends 4 year old little nephew. I use to have to take naps constantly and was constantly aggitated (the boyfriend received the blunt of this poor guy!) Needless to say my lifestyle has changed drastically! For the better of course. Any one know about the popcorn or the list that I can get of the absolte no's?!?!? Please let me know asap!

Thanks!

You're stressed out, overwhelemed Celiac friend,

Amie

Popcorn should be safe (especially kettle corn) but be wary of seasoned popcorns that could have wheat based ingredients. Always read the labels. If it has something from wheat it will be listed. It is common for people going gluten free to discover new allergies and intolerances though. I just went through that myself. You may find it helpful to keep a food diary so you can spot any correlation with symptoms and potential causes. Good Luck!

Popcorn should be safe (especially kettle corn) but be wary of seasoned popcorns that could have wheat based ingredients. Always read the labels. If it has something from wheat it will be listed. It is common for people going gluten free to discover new allergies and intolerances though. I just went through that myself. You may find it helpful to keep a food diary so you can spot any correlation with symptoms and potential causes. Good Luck!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! ooo yay I'm so exicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What brand of popcorn is it? We can help tell you if it's gluten free if we know what brand!:)

Popcorn should be safe but check ingredients for the flavored varieties. I've always bought Orville Redenbacher's plain popcorn in a jar and popped it in my Presto PowerPop microwave popcorn maker (around $15 or so at Wal-Mart), used olive oil on it and salt. I find microwave popcorn packets to be way too salty for my taste.

That said, as much as I like popcorn, it does not like me. No clue why. Maybe there's just too much fiber for my sensitive digestive system. It used to be my favorite salty snack food. And I miss it. I test it every six months or so...and since it's the weekend, maybe it's time to try it again.

If you do a search on the brand name and gluten free you will probably find your answer.

When you are starting out it is good to eat simple foods, not lots of spices and sauces etc. Some tips below.

Not eating in restaraunts

Eating only whole foods not processed foods.

Eating only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Taking proboitics.

Taking digestive enzymes.

Avoiding dairy.

Avoiding sugars and starchy foods.

Avoiding alcohol.

Some threads with good info:

FAQ Celiac com

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum-7/announcement-3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

Celiac Newbie Info 101

What's For Breakfast Today?

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

What Are You Cooking Tonight?