This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Tiramisu

IrishHeart

IrishHeart Veteran

Tiramisu

I have used this recipe for 16 years. It is adapted from The Culinary Institute of America's collection.

The first time I made it as a newlywed, hubs said “Sorry, babe. Doesn't look like much”, :o and I was crushed....but he and our guests ate the entire thing that night! And it has been a favorite ever since.

Since then, whenever I create anything new, he teases me with

“ Sorry, babe, doesn't look like much!”

This guarantees it will be a hit. :)

To adapt it to gluten-free, use Scharr Brand ladyfingers or some other gluten-free ladyfinger cake OR make your own. There are many suggestions on the internet.

This clever kiddo makes them!

Open Original Shared Link

Makes 8-10 servings.

Espresso syrup

Sugar - 2 ounces

Water - 2 ounces

Espresso, brewed and hot – 6 ounces

Brandy - 2 ounces

Filling

Egg yolks - 4

Sugar - 3 ounces

Marsala, sweet - 3 ounces

Marscapone – 8 ounces

Whipped cream – 8 ounces

Finishing

Lady Fingers – 3 dozen

Whipped Cream, sweetened – 8 ounces

Cinnamon - 1 tablespoon

Cocoa powder – 1 tablespoon

Powdered sugar – 1 tablespoon

Optional, but nice—chocolate shavings.

(1) For syrup: Combine sugar, water, coffee and brandy. Cool.

(2) For filling: Combine the yolks, sugar, and marsala. Beat in a stainless bowl over a water bath (140 degrees F/60 degrees C) until thickened.

(3) Remove yolk mixture from the heat, and beat in a mixer on second speed until cold.

(4) Fold in smooth marscapone and whipped cream.

(5) Brush lady fingers liberally with syrup. (I wet them pretty good!) place in alternating layers in

a pan with the filling and refrigerate overnight.

(6) To finish: spread the sweetened whipped cream over the top. (I use some sugar and vanilla in mine, but you can use almond extract if you wish)

(7) Combine the cinnamon, cocoa powder and powdered sugar and sprinkle over the top.

(8) Decorate with chocolate shavings, if you like.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GF Lover Rising Star

Tiramisu. Wow, I don't know if its dinner or desert or even what it would look like and a few ingredients have no meaning to me but, it sounds SO GOOD. You foodies are Killin me here :wacko:

Lisa Mentor

Maybe we need a "What's for dessert tonight" thread?

SUPER IDEA! :D Do it! I love sweets.

IrishHeart Veteran

Just reading it and I am nearly full! You can manipulate me all you want from now on. :)

I would risk eating chocolate (migraines) for this, carob won't cut it.

Thank you.

You're so welcome. No, carob does not work in this one, hon. Sorry.

And the booze? totally necessary. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Maybe we need a "What's for dessert tonight" thread?

Sounds good! You start it. ;)

Adalaide Mentor

I don't drink alcohol or coffee, I gave both up 5 years ago. But I'll be dead before I give up tiramisu. Now I think I need to make some again, I guess it's my turn to lose the pants. :lol:

RL2011 Rookie

I love Tiramisu! Anyone need a taste tester? Or help me make some? unsure.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I don't drink alcohol or coffee, I gave both up 5 years ago. But I'll be dead before I give up tiramisu. Now I think I need to make some again, I guess it's my turn to lose the pants. :lol:

:lol: yes, this dessert is a pants-buster.

Because of the zabaione (the Marsala, sugar and eggs mixture) and the espresso, you would have to "Un-GIVE-up" those to have this treat.

I hate to be the one that led you astray, however.

It's Sora's fault anyway. She asked. :)

Adalaide Mentor

You didn't lead me astray. Tiramisu did that all by itself. I don't think there's ever been another food as horrifically tempting and decadent. The very first gluten free recipe I googled was for lady fingers. Not pizza, or bread or anything else, my first thought was dear God.... don't take tiramisu from me.

I "un-give-up" every year for my birthday, the difference now is I have to make it myself. The good and bad of this is that no one I know (within 2000 miles) will eat it. This means I am forced to eat the whole thing myself, and I assure you it is a terrible burden. (For my pants. :lol: )

IrishHeart Veteran

You didn't lead me astray. Tiramisu did that all by itself. I don't think there's ever been another food as horrifically tempting and decadent. ...The good and bad of this is that no one I know (within 2000 miles) will eat it. This means I am forced to eat the whole thing myself, and I assure you it is a terrible burden. (For my pants. :lol: )

I know at least 5 people (right off the top of my head) who will travel to see you for your birthday and eat it with you.

Richard, SA1937 (Sylvia), Gemini, LOVE2TRAVEL and me.

No, wait 7, Colleen and apparently, SORA who asked for this recipe in the first place.

Unless, you WANT to go pantless and enjoy it yourself, in which case, I say...YOU GO GIRL!! :lol:

mushroom Proficient

You will have to add one more to the party. I just DIE for tiramisu. Luv it even more than the English love their trifle. And if you have ever had tiramisu lovingly made for you by someone living in the Florence Hills, it (I have to say it :rolleyes: ) tastes even better. I'd walk through three (international) :lol: airports for a tiramisu. And I wear stretch pants :P

kareng Grand Master

Let me get a size bigger elastic waist pants, then I'll be there, too!

sa1937 Community Regular

I know at least 5 people (right off the top of my head) who will travel to see you for your birthday and eat it with you.

Richard, SA1937 (Sylvia), Gemini, LOVE2TRAVEL and me.

No, wait 7, Colleen and apparently, SORA who asked for this recipe in the first place.

Unless, you WANT to go pantless and enjoy it yourself, in which case, I say...YOU GO GIRL!! :lol:

So much for wanting to lose weight! laugh.gif Well, there's always next year! rolleyes.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

You will have to add one more to the party. I just DIE for tiramisu. Luv it even more than the English love their trifle. And if you have ever had tiramisu lovingly made for you by someone living in the Florence Hills, it (I have to say it :rolleyes: ) tastes even better. I'd walk through three (international) :lol: airports for a tiramisu. And I wear stretch pants :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: fantastic!

Adalaide told me to "take your pants off "(yes, she really did :) ) on the " What's for dinner thread?" when I said I had started gaining weight back.

My first tiramisu (a girl always remembers her first one) was back in 1985 with my best friend, who is a chef and we had it with a glass of port. She insisted I try it and ...it was pure heaven.

IrishHeart Veteran

Let me get a size bigger elastic waist pants, then I'll be there, too!

:lol: I just knew you'd want to come, K. :)

We're gonna need a bigger van!!!!!!!!!!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I love Tiramisu! Anyone need a taste tester? Or help me make some? unsure.gif

okaaaay.....c'mon....let out yer pants and get in the van.

squirmingitch Veteran

Well, I happen to need to gain a few pounds so I don't need to take my pants off but I'll join the party! I have only had tiramisu twice in my life & while it was good it was not to die for but I sensed inherently that I had NOT eaten good examples of it. I have read recipes for it & I KNOW it's right up my alley! I was rather frustrated that the ones I had did not live up to my expectations. Neither of them were home made. I never made any myself b/c it's NOT the hubs thing at all so i would have had to eat the whole thing by myself. No, I couldn't have. I would pop like a balloon!smile.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

When I move to FLA, I will happily make it for you, Squirmy. :)

RL2011 Rookie

Umm... When? Always hungry, will travel. rolleyes.gif

Adalaide Mentor

Holy crap, with this many people I'll have to make two! When? Well sorry guys but my birthday isn't until next year. :( I may have to celebrate my half-birthday next month.

VydorScope Proficient

Wow... the only tiramisu I have had is whatever they serve at Olive Garden by that name... and was not very impressed. Certainly not enough to take off my pants and hop in a van... :lol:

The way y'all are talking though, wonder if I missed something.... :blink:

squirmingitch Veteran

When I move to FLA, I will happily make it for you, Squirmy. :)

And I'll hold you to that IH! And the best part will be not worrying if I'm going to get cc'd or not!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhsmile.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

Wow... the only tiramisu I have had is whatever they serve at Olive Garden by that name... and was not very impressed. Certainly not enough to take off my pants and hop in a van... :lol:

The way y'all are talking though, wonder if I missed something.... :blink:

OLIVE GARDEN?? gasp!!! :blink::o

oh, no!!!

oh ...mushroom, LOVE2, please , I can't breathe right now....tell this sweet guy why THAT crap at OG is NOT tiramisu...... :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Holy crap, with this many people I'll have to make two! When? Well sorry guys but my birthday isn't until next year. :( I may have to celebrate my half-birthday next month.

oh no.....January? :( buggers!!!!!!!!

love2travel Mentor

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm coming but can I cook? I miss it too much when I am away from home. Maybe give me my own little designated area in your kitchen?

Archived