This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Eat When You Have An Upset Stomach

MomOf2FabGirls

MomOf2FabGirls Newbie

I am recently new to gluten free eating and I need help. Today I have a very upset stomach, probably related to ulcerative colitis. Normally I would eat some toast or some saltine crackers to calm my tummy. Now that I am gluten free I have no idea what to eat. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have tried gluten free bread recently, and I am not really a fan of the taste or texture. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tictax707 Apprentice

If saltines used to work then I would suggest gluten free pretzels - glutino makes some good ones as goes ener-g. because of the crunchy texture of pretzels I can't really tell a difference from normal. I am a colitis sufferer as well. Have you tried herbal teas? I found those to work well to settle my tummy too.

Kirstie Apprentice

I am recently new to gluten free eating and I need help. Today I have a very upset stomach, probably related to ulcerative colitis. Normally I would eat some toast or some saltine crackers to calm my tummy. Now that I am gluten free I have no idea what to eat. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have tried gluten free bread recently, and I am not really a fan of the taste or texture. Thanks!

Sipping water slowly, drinking herbal teas (peppermint tea, or bits of fresh ginger in hot water with lemon) and eating some gluten free rice cakes or gluten free crackers helps!

I always wake feeling nauseas, drinking probiotic yoghurt always helps me as does fresh fruits. Generally anything simple, easy to digest and healthy!

Good luck and feel better soon! K x

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I'm wierd, I eat spicy food when I don't feel good. I make chicken noodle soup full of pepper or curry beef stew. But don't count on this working for you, if you try it, take it slow. I'm pretty sure I'm a freak of nature.

cyberprof Enthusiast

Sorry that happened!

I like white rice with just a little salt and butter or olive oil.

Mashed potatoes or polenta/grits. You could also eat a baked potato or spagetti squash.

I also agree with the gluten-free pretzels. I can't tell them from regular pretzels and would eat them everyday if they were good for me.

I also drink gallons of mint tea. Pepto Bismal also works for me in the early stages if I'm queasy with an upset stomach.

When I start to feel better, I eat gluten-free mac-n-cheese, but that's not good if you're still heeling and might have trouble with dairy and/or fat.

MomOf2FabGirls Newbie

Thank you so much for all the helpful suggestions. I ended up having a baked potato because I just happened to have some of those at home. I will have to check my local stores to see if I can find a few of the other things mentioned as well. Thanks again, appreciate all the help and kind words!

Skittles Enthusiast

I drink herbal tea. I find peppermint works best for me :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Monklady123 Collaborator

This may be a silly question....but, have you tried the gluten free bread toasted? And actually, the first question should be "are you eating Udi's bread?" If you're eating anything else stop immediately and go buy Udi's. lol.. :P But if it is Udi's and you haven't tried it toasted, see if that works. As good as it is I can't eat it just plain, I have to toast it.

Otherwise, all good suggestions by the other people who have replied. I can't remember if anyone suggested sweet potatoes. If not, try some sweet potatoes. I'm sure I lived on sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, rice, tea, and plain chicken breast for several weeks while my body was healing.

Archived