Rate this topic

Hi all,

I am so happy to have found this site. Living gluten free has enough challenges; it is so nice to have a place to go and learn from others in the same situation!

I have had chronic abdominal pain for a year without a diagnosis despite countless doctors and tests. A friend suggested I try an elimination diet....no gluten, no dairy. Wow, what a difference that made. I have been gluten-free for 6 weeks and have just (2 weeks) reintroduced dairy on a limited basis. I have been eating peanut butter without an issue.

Last week I purchased some cashews, almonds and dry roasted peanuts.....looking for a quick snack. I had enjoyed the dry roasted nuts before and had no problem. The almonds are so yummy! The bad news is they caused a flare in my abdominal pain. I have been on a BRAT diet to let my gut rest.

Could almonds have done this much damage? Has anyone had this problem? Everything I have read say nuts are OK.

I appreciate the feedback........sorry this was 'wordy'

Last week I purchased some cashews, almonds and dry roasted peanuts.....looking for a quick snack. I had enjoyed the dry roasted nuts before and had no problem. The almonds are so yummy! The bad news is they caused a flare in my abdominal pain. I have been on a BRAT diet to let my gut rest.

Could almonds have done this much damage? Has anyone had this problem? Everything I have read say nuts are OK.

Welcome to the forums! You'll find lots and lots of information and support here.

As for the nuts, are you sure it was the nuts that caused the problem? Did you try anything else different in the day or two before eating the nuts? A different brand of anything? Did you eat out? If you were eating with your fingers did you wash your hands before digging in? Just wondering if cross contamination could be blamed... :)

It sounds like this is a brand of nuts you've eaten before? Or did you buy the nuts in bulk? Bulk buying can be dangerous because scoops can be shared among different bins.

Or who knows, maybe the nuts just didn't sit well with you that day...

Nuts *should* be gluten free.

I've gotten sick overindulging on dry roasted peanuts. I think they have too much MSG for my poor stomach to handle.

My daughter who is celiac had a gluten reaction after eating nuts because of cross-contamination. Check the label - some nuts are often packaged on lines that also package wheat.

Welcome to the forum!

Another thing to watch out for is nuts coated in starch. Many different types of nuts are coated in wheat starch or other starches that can cause us trouble. Always check the labels even if it appears to be plain nuts. The walnuts in mcdonalds salads are a perfect example of what not to eat. At other times nuts are processed in a plant that may process other items that contain wheat or barley. I travel a lot of have to check nuts in every airport as they are all different. Some are so bad I started bringing enough with me for the trip home too!

Good luck

Hi all,

I am so happy to have found this site. Living gluten free has enough challenges; it is so nice to have a place to go and learn from others in the same situation!

I have had chronic abdominal pain for a year without a diagnosis despite countless doctors and tests. A friend suggested I try an elimination diet....no gluten, no dairy. Wow, what a difference that made. I have been gluten-free for 6 weeks and have just (2 weeks) reintroduced dairy on a limited basis. I have been eating peanut butter without an issue.