Skittles

Digestive Enzimes?

Rate this topic

I have been taking probiotics but what are digestive enzimes? and should i be taking them? since I have a major problem with bloating and constipation, is this sometihng i should be taking? is that what they are called if i go to the pharmacy and ask for them?

I have been taking probiotics but what are digestive enzimes? and should i be taking them? since I have a major problem with bloating and constipation, is this sometihng i should be taking? is that what they are called if i go to the pharmacy and ask for them?

Sorry your post got pushed down kind of far without an answer!

Digestive enzymes are compounds that help your body bread down foods (well, they smash giant molecules into smaller ones that our bodies can absorb).

Your body makes enzymes, but some of our bodies need a little help. For example, lactase is the enzyme that works to break down lactose (milk sugar).

People around here use lots of different ones, some seem to rise to the top as "favorites" but I don't know which ones they are. Hopefully this will bump your post up and one of the enzyme users will see it.

Or, you could search "digestive enzymes" in the forum search bar...it will find lots of posts from the past (even recent past) and show you what some of the brands are that folks around here use.

You don't need a doc for them or a pharmacy, you can buy them at any nutrition center, mail-order shop, some grocery stores. Of course, grocery store varieties might not be the best choice!

"Now" brand seems to be a well-received one, but there are several types with different numbers of antibodies, some have HCl in them and some don't.

Hope that helps a little while you wait for more info.