Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skoki_mom

I Know I Am Being Waaaaay Oversensitive Here

LOL@"Old Lady" That's creative! :P

I don't understand why people are so insensitive. Maybe it's because I'm overly sensitive? I dunno. I don't think I am. I wouldn't like anyone calling me "a celiac", just as my friend suffering from breast cancer doesn't want to be called "a cancer".

Just don't get it...

<_<

An interesting question. When talking about coeliac disease a while ago I was gently corrected by someone who doesn't want to label herself as 'diseased' but always refers to herself as 'coeliac', or 'a coeliac'. I can see her point. At a work function a staff member asked me why I had a special meal (not all that special: a hard boiled egg and some lettuce) and I explained. She asked some questions and when I told her it was an immune disease she moved as far away from me as possible and hasn't let herself be in the same room as me since. I now prefer not to use the D word, too. I certainly don't feel diseased!

I don't mind being defined by my condition, if it promotes understanding. I've had quite a few people asking me thoughtful questions lately, at times as if that's the only topic of conversation with me they can find. Of course I hope they don't see me entirely in terms of my diet, but I'm touched they're thinking about it.

On the other hand, there's still a handful of people who wonder why I don't just get over it and stop making a fuss about my food. With such people I tend to mention the D word from time to time just to let them know it's a serious condition, not just a fad. But the people who really matter see me for what I am, dietary requirements and all.

Cheers, Lindy in Australia

She asked some questions and when I told her it was an immune disease she moved as far away from me as possible and hasn't let herself be in the same room as me since.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if, by calling it an "immune disease" instead of an "autoimmune disease, like type 1 diabetes", she thought you had HIV. Many people mistakenly, and mis-informedly, make the assumption that HIV is the obvious immune disease, and then further mis-informedly, avoid that person.

I think I use the term celiac or celiacs b/c it is more concise when I am speaking...rather than saying "the other celiacs i know, or since i have celiac diease", i say "other celiacs or i'm a celiac...." so it doesn't bother me. i guess it would if someone was using it in a negative way, like...."those damn celiacs!" :P

Your replies have been all been very interesting and honest! I'm glad to see I am not the only one bugged by it, but also realize I shouldn't be thin-skinned about it. I found a thread about "do you consider yourself sick", which I had to answer with a resounding "no"! I am not in denial that I have celiac disease, the bloodwork and endoscopy don't lie about that, and I am diligently following the gluten-free diet (I have even had gluten-free "food" related dreams.....can't I eat toast even in my dreams?? lol), but honestly, celiac disease has never made me sick a day in my life. In fact, I am more shocked that I could have as much damage as I do and *not* have any symptoms. Makes me wonder what else could be going on inside me I'm not aware of. Just calling myself "a celiac" in my mind makes me sound defective or something. OK, so maybe we *are* defective, but only a little bit, lol! As well, as long as I stick to the diet, I am a completely healthy person. I don't consider a person who has a nut allergy as sick, so why think of myself that way? I have a friend on a low-oxylate diet (she eats less than I do!), and I don't think of her as sick, I don't think of her as "a kidney stone" either. As well, like some of the rest of you have said, I would hope there are more interesting things about me than the fact I have celiac disease! And then my mother saying "since you became a Celiac", like I had some sort of choice in the matter, I feel like responding with "since you and dad gave me a s**t gene", lol!

Ultimately, I'm lucky I don't have worse things to worry about, and many of you are right, at least they aren't calling me stupid! LOL

i guess it would if someone was using it in a negative way, like...."those damn celiacs!"  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah...that would bother me too!!! :lol::lol: