Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roxieb73

Curious About What Vitamins Are You Deficient?

Gee, now I remember I was also diagnosed deficient in magnesium before, but based on symptoms. So that's Vitamin D, Vitamin K, and magnesium so far. I've also been low in plain old electrolytes because of days and days of the big D, and had to supplement with loads of Gatorade (an electrolyte sports drink).

I had my vits during the second week of my gluten-free diet. I was expecting low levels because of low energy (which I took a bunch of vits for) and everything came back normal, with my B12 a bit too high. My only abnormal test was TSH so the low energy was hypothyroidism. :rolleyes:

At last check one of my office visits at the beginning of the year my Vitamin D level was 3, with normal being 30 and 12 being severely deficient....YIKES! I haven't had any other huge deficiencies that I know of and was just diagnosed with dermatitis herpetiformis (the skin manifestation of celiac) a couple of days ago.

At last check one of my office visits at the beginning of the year my Vitamin D level was 3, with normal being 30 and 12 being severely deficient....YIKES!

With a level that low I would ask for a DEXA scan to check my bone density since D is critical in bone formation. Then again, maybe you used up all your D making bone :)

At last check one of my office visits at the beginning of the year my Vitamin D level was 3, with normal being 30 and 12 being severely deficient....YIKES! I haven't had any other huge deficiencies that I know of

Would be a very good idea to get all your nutrients checked - you definitely need to supplement to get your D up and likely are missing other important nutrients. Removing all gluten will eventually allow you to absorb the nutrients your body needs - until then supplementation is important!

My celiac doc recommends these blood tests - both at diagnosis and follow-up appts:

B1, B12, D, K, Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc

Others have posted that you should add:

A and Magnisium.

CMP (Complete Metabolic Panel) can indicate some other deficiencies.

These are in addition to annual CBC (complete blood count) and FULL Celiac Panel. The lab techs often :rolleyes: when they see orders from my celiac doc - much better to test everything in one draw than going back each time a doc thinks of a possible test in relation to symptoms you have.