jessthirtytwo

The Epic Battle: Antibiotics Vs Probiotics

Rate this topic

So, I was started on antibiotics for a bacterial infection yesterday. I was unhappy to learn that I needed to go on antibiotics because, as we all know, they kill the good bacteria that us celiacs have worked so hard to build up in our intestines. I usually take one Culturelle a day, but with the antibiotic I have decided to take two probiotic pills a day. Right now I am taking them at the same time as I take the two antibiotic pills (12 hours apart). I was wondering if there is anyone has some different ideas for what else I can be doing to help save my intestinal bacteria (like taking the probiotics at a different time than the antibiotics, taking more probiotics...)? I have to be on the antibiotics for two weeks... poor intestinal bacteria : (

So, I was started on antibiotics for a bacterial infection yesterday. I was unhappy to learn that I needed to go on antibiotics because, as we all know, they kill the good bacteria that us celiacs have worked so hard to build up in our intestines. I usually take one Culturelle a day, but with the antibiotic I have decided to take two probiotic pills a day. Right now I am taking them at the same time as I take the two antibiotic pills (12 hours apart). I was wondering if there is anyone has some different ideas for what else I can be doing to help save my intestinal bacteria (like taking the probiotics at a different time than the antibiotics, taking more probiotics...)? I have to be on the antibiotics for two weeks... poor intestinal bacteria : (

Yes, this happened to me as well. My doctor was reluctant to put me on antibiotics as I have celiac but he had to. He told me to make sure to double my probiotics intake a few days before, during and after the antibiotics. Good doctor! :)

My pharmacist told me to take my probiotics three to four hours apart from antibiotics.

My pharmacist told me to take my probiotics three to four hours apart from antibiotics.

Yep, that's what I heard too. Give the anti's time to do some serious work, and then send in the good guys with the white hats and horses :) to the rescue.

Have to second (or third) this advice with a resounding yes!

Take them a few hours apart, but definitely double up the good guys for at least 2 weeks after you're done with the meds.

You are one smart cookie! Antibiotics, while useful and necessary sometimes, make an unbalanced mess down there.

I just faced this same problem. I worked so hard trying to build up my healthy bacteria that I hated taking the meds. Be sure to take the probiotics well after the anti-biotics, and eat a banana before taking them. The banana feeds the good bacteria, helping it take hold.

Thank you everyone for your input, you have helped so much! I am going to take the probiotics 2 hours after the antibiotics (I am taking the anti's at 12:30 pm/am and staying up until 2:30 am is late enough for me haha), and we will see if that helps. And I will definitely try the banana too, great idea!

The pro-biotics sold are only a tiny part of the gut-flora you need.

Most good gut-bacteria come from raw food (vegetables and fruit).

A good multi-strain probiotic (like ones from Custom Probiotics) will repopulate the gut more quickly and efficiently than food can when a gut is still impaired by malabsorption.

It is my understanding that it is best to take them first thing in the morning or at bedtime on an EMPTY stomach.