kate12345

Gluten Free Label

Rate this topic

I think my child is getting gluten from some source, which I cannot figure out. If a product is labeled gluten free such as certain Tostitos corn chips or certain Orieda fries, is it for sure safe? If a product has a gluten free label, does it mean that it could not have gotten cross contaminated in manufacturing??

My animals are on grain free diets, our house is gluten free, but she is exhibiting some of the same symptoms as she did pre-diagnosis.

Are there any great websites for figuring out what it could be?

Thanks, Jennifer

Major companies like Ore Ida or Frito Lay tend to label gluten-free only if they can guarantee that the food is under 20 ppm. It's in accordance with the proposed FDA regulations. That's fine for most celiacs but a few are so sensitive that they have trouble with gluten-free processed foods. If you suspect this in your daughter you will also have to take her off gluten-free breads, cereals, and cookies as most grain-based foods have traces of gluten on occasion.

If she's eating oats, that could be the source of the trouble. Research is showing a few celiacs might be sensitive to corn. Also dairy can give a lot of us gluten-like symptoms if we're intolerant.

Are you sure she isn't getting into gluten at school? Play-doh has gluten in it for example. Also there is always risk if she is eating with other kids unsupervised.

• Upvote 1

I think my child is getting gluten from some source, which I cannot figure out. If a product is labeled gluten free such as certain Tostitos corn chips or certain Orieda fries, is it for sure safe? If a product has a gluten free label, does it mean that it could not have gotten cross contaminated in manufacturing??

My animals are on grain free diets, our house is gluten free, but she is exhibiting some of the same symptoms as she did pre-diagnosis.

Are there any great websites for figuring out what it could be?

Thanks, Jennifer

Personally, I have gotten glutened from many chip products that say gluten-free, I do not know if it is CC or the amount of gluten that the FDA allows, which I know is very little, but I am sensitive to. Just recently it was Lays potato chips for me. I also can not tolerate gluten-free Oats. I just started introducing Corn back in my diet and I am doing ok. Xanthan Gum however, gives me the same side affects as gluten.

I wonder if she is getting exposed to it from other kids??

Thanks for the replies. She is not getting it from other kids or school. It has to be from products or it is something else. They are currently testing her for other things such as allergies and vitamin deficiencies. I hope they figure it out. I was thinking it might be paper cups we were using, but those turned out to be ok. Thanks again.