This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick And Tired Of Being Sick And Tired

BeccaMeadows

BeccaMeadows Newbie

This is my first post, and my apologies if this is posted in the wrong area of the forum. I have been reading several posts about people with Celiac Disease and a weak immune system, however most of the topics have shown that it was due to going off of their gluten-free diets.

I started eating gluten-free since I was initially diagnosed through a blood test and later followed up with the biopsy (the day day before my biopsy was the only exception to not eating gluten-free) about 2 years ago this September. Although I do not get nearly as sick as before, I still pick up basically everything that goes around and take a long time to get over it. I also get really weak for about a day every two weeks. I am currently on Midodrine due to syncope fainting spells caused by low blood pressure.

Is there anyone else here who experiences/experienced this? It's been two years and I am extremely frustrated to say the least. It's difficult enough to follow a gluten-free diet at times while also still experiencing some of the side effects I was told should have subsided by now. I am extremely careful of my diet, and I hardly eat out. I have my own gluten free section of the kitchen to prevent any cross-contamination.

Any support is greatly needed and extremely appreciated. Thank you so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraB0927 Apprentice

This is my first post, and my apologies if this is posted in the wrong area of the forum. I have been reading several posts about people with Celiac Disease and a weak immune system, however most of the topics have shown that it was due to going off of their gluten-free diets.

I started eating gluten-free since I was initially diagnosed through a blood test and later followed up with the biopsy (the day day before my biopsy was the only exception to not eating gluten-free) about 2 years ago this September. Although I do not get nearly as sick as before, I still pick up basically everything that goes around and take a long time to get over it. I also get really weak for about a day every two weeks. I am currently on Midodrine due to syncope fainting spells caused by low blood pressure.

Is there anyone else here who experiences/experienced this? It's been two years and I am extremely frustrated to say the least. It's difficult enough to follow a gluten-free diet at times while also still experiencing some of the side effects I was told should have subsided by now. I am extremely careful of my diet, and I hardly eat out. I have my own gluten free section of the kitchen to prevent any cross-contamination.

You definitely are in the right section of the forum - I am not an expert as I was only diagnosed May of this year, but Celiac disease calls for a steep learning curve so I've had to learn quick. Before going gluten-free I was pretty fatigued most of the time and it was either related to the Celiac itself or my iron deficiency. I also experienced syncope for YEARS before realizing that it was most likely related to the Celiac. I would faint in the shower, at the gym, and yes, even during intimate moments with my fiance (so mortifying!!!) Here are my thoughts - are you taking a multi-vitamin or supplement? Have you had blood work to see if you're deficient in anything? They have gluten free supplements at GNC and Whole Foods and I believe that it helped tremendously for me. If you're not taking one, I would recommend considering it. Also, I've been seeing a nutritionist who is experienced in working with Celiac patients who is also helping me to eat the RIGHT foods. Going gluten free isn't always healthy if you're loading up on the gluten-free replacement foods. The nutritionist is showing me how to get nutrients into my damaged GI system in different ways such as making homemade beef/chicken broth to ease the GI tract while providing nutrients. She also has me juicing now to get additional fruits and veggies into my system (which I HATE eating). I feel your pain on this but there are tons of incredibly knowledgeable people on this site who I know could give you great information as well. Feel free to vent anytime...I hope some of this was helpful!

Takala Enthusiast

This is one of those situations where, if you have any tendency to be a bit..... compulsive about something, you can use it to your advantage.

Anytime I go somewhere, anywhere, the first thing I do when I come home is that I wash my hands. I even do this before putting groceries away, and then afterwards again, when they're put away. I also try to keep my hands away from my face, while in public, as not rubbing my eyes, etc, so less chance of picking up germs then getting them near the mucous membranes. And I try to shop at hours when the stores are less crowded. I can't believe some people, the way they just hack and cough with their mouths uncovered, and wipe noses like la dee dah, no consequences for anybody else. Oh, and those cell phones they carry around everywhere ? Do you think they ever think to clean those things off ? HAH ! Not likely.

My spouse and I went out to eat last week, and we're sitting there late in a nice restaurant (w/ a gluten-free menu) with about 3 other couples at other tables nearby, quietly talking, and these other sets all have one person alternately looking bored, and playing with a cell phone constantly. Wow. Talk about wasted ambience. :rolleyes::ph34r::blink:

Won't help with the fainting, but the hand washing may cut down the germs. :)

hopefulinmybody Apprentice

Hi Becca,

I can relate. I have been gluten-free now for about 15 months and am still struggling with frequent colds, canker sores,an and fatigue as well as other random symptoms. I never really know whether they are connected to celiac or not. Maddening! Although I am still having canker sores and colds (was going to write my own post about this) I can say that I have felt better in general, going in the right direction, since seeing a naturopath, eliminating more foods such as dairy, eggs, and grains, and increasing my intake of green vegetables (she has me eating at least 6 servings of veggies in general per day). For the most part I feel like I am going in the right direction, though I too still get frustrated. No one else I know gets colds so often! Anyway--much love for you on this path, we know it's not a simple one.

BeccaMeadows Newbie

Thank you so much for all your comments and support!

Goodness Laura, I hope the fainting spells are getting better for you! That would be so bad. I had moments where I would get dizzy during intimate moments with my boyfriend, but I haven't full-out fainted. I don't faint like I used to all the time, I had to be put on midodrine to help with my blood pressure. Hopefully eating gluten-free will help with yours. I am taking a lot of vitamins and seeing a N.D. I'm about to start a detox which I have been told will help with any toxicity in my system and I'm hoping I'll feel a lot better once it's done and allow my body to retain nutrients better. Other people being sick is a huge problem because getting sick is what my immune system seems to do best. Hopefully something will work to help with immunity. The juicing sounds really good actually. Have you heard of Kriss Carr? She has an amazing book which has a ton of juicing recipes. Hopefully you'll find one that is more tasty for yourself.

Thank you all again, and if you find something that gives your immunity a big kickstart please do keep me updated!

BeccaMeadows Newbie

I really do need to start being more compulsive about germs though, especially touching my face. It's so hard to stop because you hardly realize you're doing it. But some people really do have a lack of courtesy as if they're trying to spread the plague, ack.

And I used to get really bad canker sores. I heard water and sea salt helps them go away although it may sting a little. It's worth a shot if anything. I hope they get better, but I'm happy that you're feeling a lot better already.

Do you get your antibodies checked through a blood test on a regular basis at all?

Thank you. :)

Archived